Am im loosing out on alot of perfomance?

Go to solution Solved by mranarc,

what a great community :) instant answers and bright people :) Thanks to you both for your help and information!

Regards,

mranarc

1 hour ago, mranarc said:

Here is my question i hope some of you bright people from this great community can help me with is:

As i understand the CPU and chipset Intel 6700k and Z170 only support 16 pcie lanes, and thats what my GPU alone consumes. Then u have the dual 950 pro disks pcie x4 each.

no that's where you're wrong...the CPU provide 16 pcie lanes, but the Z170 chipset is providing an additional 20 pcie lanes that are not wired directly to the CPU.

Your GPU is likely running at X8 speeds which is fine and the two M.2 slots are also wired to the CPU with x4 lanes each...which is also fine...the other pcie drives are proably reverting to x4 speed through the z170 chipset, which is also fine :)

hope this help

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

So its either 60fps 4k (witch looks beutiful, but just dont feel right) or 165fps or greater on 1444p untill i a new card series launches....or panels improve fast and nvidia could release some kind of bios/driver update to support it.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no that's where you're wrong...the CPU provide 16 pcie lanes, but the Z170 chipset is providing an addition 20 pcie lanes that are not wired through the CPU.

Your GPU is likely running at X8 speeds which is fine and the two M.2 slots are also wired to the CPU with x4 lanes each...which is also fine...the other pcie drives are proably reverting to x4 speed through the z170 chipset, which is also fine :)

hope this help

Thanks for taking your time to read the wall of text :)i dont havr two m.2 slots, had to use a pcie asus adapter card to get the other 950 pro running

3 minutes ago, mranarc said:

So its either 60fps 4k (witch looks beutiful, but just dont feel right) or 165fps or greater on 1444p untill i a new card series launches....or panels improve fast and nvidia could release some kind of bios/driver update to support it.

120hz 4K Gsync with a GPU twice as fast as a Titan Xp would be amazing...it will still take a couple years before such things are readily available and at reasonable price.

IMHO 1440p gaming is where it's at right now.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This is also OFFTOPIC, but since so many bright people are replying atm i have to ask about another question.. Lets say i somehow have to install a second gpu using a pcie riser card, (would call it a raiser cable) supposedly supporting 16x, are those fine? Somehow a flat cable reminding me of old ide drive cables doessnt add up with a high end gpu and insane speeds

2 minutes ago, mranarc said:

This is also offtopi, but since so many bright people are replying atm i have to ask about another question.. Lets say i somehow have to install a second gpu using a pcie riser card, (would call it a raiser cable) supposedly supporting 16x, are those fine? Somehow a flat cable reminding me of old ide drive cables doessnt add up with a high end gpu and insane speeds

you would have to check your motherboard to see how it deals with the pcie lanes...but running a second GPU in SLI would mean taking all the 16 pcie lanes for the GPU's...forcing the m.2 slot and any other pcie devices to run throught the slower chipset pcie lanes...i'm not sure and it likely is motherboard dependent...but at this point my answer would be: you're way too much a power user for a consumer grade chipset motherboard, you should have bought an x99 motherboard and a CPU with 40 pcie lanes. :(

I agree completely.. to bad im not getting nearly what ive invested (its brand new) selling it now... Guess ill wait for next gen nvidia cards get out and then choose the beefier platform.. for some stupid reason i did not concider pcie lanes, just saw the other specs and viewed alot of videos on youtube comparing motherboards, and that hey had minor impact in performance,,, But ye, next build def gonna be something i can harvest the full potential of.

Getting 15000nok every 2,5 years from my employer to get home station, /they expect us to buy printer, microsoft office software, etc.. everything i already have :P usually ends up with me spending all the money on gpu, cpu and psu.. and then adding on top of that from my own pocket

3 minutes ago, mranarc said:

I agree completely.. to bad im not getting nearly what ive invested (its brand new) selling it now... Guess ill wait for next gen nvidia cards get out and then choose the beefier platform.. for some stupid reason i did not concider pcie lanes, just saw the other specs and viewed alot of videos on youtube comparing motherboards, and that hey had minor impact in performance,,, But ye, next build def gonna be something i can harvest the full potential of.

well...it's a lot of stupidly fast storage you got there...but so long as you're running a single graphics card, it's fine...if you put in another GPU, you'd really have to reconsider the storage and check your motherboards manual to see what does what in that situation..

According to the co-posters they would utilize DMI 3.0 at speeds up to 10GB/S.. so it should not be a problem, them only reading at aprox 4,5GB /sec sec and writing half of that.. But since there are no higher refreshrate monitors or support in 4k its not going to be an issue... concidering everything currently maxes at 1444p

We have the same monitor by the way, have u oc ed it to 165hz?

Just now, mranarc said:

We have the same monitor by the way, have u oc ed it to 165hz?

no i've tried but it does not even do 150hz :P

but anyways, i honestly don't see the point because for me personally with Gsync even 100FPS is already butter smooth...anything beyond is waste as far as i'm concerned so i,d rather increase anti-aliasing or super sampling at that point anyways :)

Hehe, ok. Get an titan or the one in my rig, then u dont have to comprimise :) my butter smooth feeling starts at 120hz/fps.. so i guess people adapt to something they really cant SEE the difference on, but i somehow feel it playing