Low Profile GPUs

TheGoatPuncher

Ever since I built my first PC (last year) I've had a fascination with low profile builds utilizing slim form factor cases. Currently, the only two viable options for a low profile gaming computer are a low profile GTX 750ti or an AMD APU in crossfire with a low profile AMD GPU (when referencing the latter I use the term viable loosely). Why are companies not building low profile cards? If Nvidia utilized the Pascal architecture for a low profile card it would likely see phenomenal performance improvements over the MSI low profile GTX 750ti that I own. I feel that 75 watts would be more than enough to fuel a GPU with GTX 950-960 performance. Has anybody heard of anything of this sort in the works? Does anybody else like slim builds?

Screenshot_20160827-214241.png

because the vast majority of low profile cases are OEM business cases which dont require a high end GPU

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

because the vast majority of low profile cases are OEM business cases which dont require a high end GPU

Fair point,  makes me QQ

I prefer mid tower builds, slim builds are not my thing. Although if you want you can buy a slim case where the GPU is mounted on a riser e.g. Lian Li PC-07

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

RX460 is low profile

the 1050 might also be low profile

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

The demand is low compared to full sized cards. I can imagine it'll cost more to engineer as well because you're trying to squeeze everything of a full sized card including power delivery onto a smaller and shorter footprint.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

I prefer mid tower builds, slim builds are not my thing. Although if you want you can buy a slim case where the GPU is mounted on a riser e.g. Lian Li PC-07

I'm actually interested in manufacturing my own slim case and I'm not interested fiddling with risers unless I find a cheap viable option. Do you have any links to good risers? 

Alot of enthusiast slim towers have been incorporating a design that uses pci-e extension cables, so that a full sized graphics card can sit in a slim tower.  So the low profile design as we know it is slowly becoming outdated.  It still has a purpose, but gaming cards in this form factor are mainly for OEM systems.

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

RX460 is low profile

the 1050 might also be low profile

I hope the GTX 1050 is, and I'm not seeing any low profile RX460. Do you have a link? 

1 minute ago, TheGoatPuncher said:

I'm actually interested in manufacturing my own slim case and I'm not interested fiddling with risers unless I find a cheap viable option. Do you have any links to good risers? 

Risers either work or they don't, although you should try to stay under 20cm for the riser cable length

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Alot of enthusiast slim towers have been incorporating a design that uses pci-e extension cables, so that a full sized graphics card can sit in a slim tower.  So the low profile design as we know it is slowly becoming outdated.  It still has a purpose, but gaming cards in this form factor are mainly for OEM systems.

I'm interested in this type of card in particular due to the fact that it draws power only from the board. It could allow the use of low wattage 1U server power supplies for lower case volume builds. 

1 minute ago, TheGoatPuncher said:

I'm interested in this type of card in particular due to the fact that it draws power only from the board. It could allow the use of low wattage 1U server power supplies for lower case volume builds. 

Server PSUs are usually noisy as hell, a SFX PSU would be better

Looks like there's a weird low profile GTX950 by Galax. Other than that there isn't really much else that is good.

I do wish there was more single slot cards though. I just like the way they look lol.

4 minutes ago, TheGoatPuncher said:

Gotcha.  Then right now the 750 ti is the best out there.  With any luck there will be newer lp cards that get released.  Zotac is usually the first to do it.

There are 6-pin less GTX 950s out there though, but not lp.  Edit: I stand corrected, galax did do one.  Don't know where to get it though.