Is Techspot.com legit? Is cnet.com good? Others

I keep running into Techspot and want to download a program. I normally use cnet.com for this type of thing. I read that cnet likes to install other crap, so is there a "go to" website for downloading freeware and buyware.

What are you trying to download...?

Why not just download it from the official website of the software?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I am on a new system now.

I dont know whether the program I want to download is bad if I go straight to the website.

How do I tell?

I just always used cnet.com and did not care about the bloatware.

I want to check out Rufus ISO.

Which reminds me, I should use a sandbox program.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I dont know whether the program I want to download is bad if I go straight to the website.

How do I tell?

Its never bad on the maker's website unless the program is malware or the website is hacked. Get Rufus from their website

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

How do I tell?

How do you just ignore bloatware? It can literally cripple your PC, in my experience. Aside from viruses that disguise as bloatware...

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

I never had a problem with cnet.com thats why I always used it on the old 2008 AMD HP system.

I would go into Programs and uninstall whatever bloatware it added.

I see a website like this

rufus.akeo.ie

and it makes me leary. So I need to somehow check reviews of the program I want to install, but I found on the rare occasion I cant tell one disticnt website from another of the same program.

Like this one 8 or so down from the duckduckgo search

rufus-usb.en.softonic.com

2nd is cnet, 3rd is techspot, 5th is softpedia

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rufus+iso&t=ffab&ia=web

I always download from the official website, haven't encountered any problems. 

Also, Rufus is open-source, and it's a standalone exe, so no installers filled with malware there.

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com

58 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I never had a problem with cnet.com thats why I always used it on the old 2008 AMD HP system.

I would go into Programs and uninstall whatever bloatware it added.

I see a website like this

rufus.akeo.ie

and it makes me leary. So I need to somehow check reviews of the program I want to install, but I found on the rare occasion I cant tell one disticnt website from another of the same program.

Like this one 8 or so down from the duckduckgo search

rufus-usb.en.softonic.com

2nd is cnet, 3rd is techspot, 5th is softpedia

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rufus+iso&t=ffab&ia=web

Well if you go on the techspot site(or any other third party download sites), and click the link for the devs, it goes directly to http://rufus.akeo.ie
So yes, that site is legit and you're better off getting it from there without any sort of "download manager" or other crap like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro