PCI-SIG Clarifies: No 300W Power Boost

patrickjp93
19 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

HMCC does the same thing. So does Intel. Get down in the muck and do the work yourself or quit complaining.

I provided a link directly from Nvidia's product brief pages, so you can go suck eggs. It's fine to be wrong, but I stick to the facts, so it's incredibly rare that I am.

Sometimes the luxury doesn't exist. Do the work yourself and prove my sources wrong.

Hey, at that time it was up to you to prove your argument. And you didn't.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Hey, at that time it was up to you to prove your argument. And you didn't.....

I did prove my argument. You were the one unwilling to look at the evidence.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i knew this couldn't be true right from the beginning....just imagine how hot the slot providing 300W would be...it would probably melt.

it would never be true. The complexity of motherboards would skyrocket beyond belief. You would need all custom connector for just the power delivery to the board. The board would need to gain 2-3mm of thickness in order to gain enough copper to handle the draw without having to perforate the board with heatpipes and heatsinks.

At 2-3mm added thickness, no case in existence would fit the new boards, as they would actually not be able to fit into the IO cutout.

@patrickjp93

Not sure why you originally quoted me, or why you're so damn stuck up with not providing sources.

It is the claimant who has the burden of evidence to prove the other party wrong, not the accused. So claiming people can just "look shit up" breaks this minimum principle of discussions.

Likewise, people are equally required to provide source material when proving you wrong. If you expect people to take seriously, you, like anyone else, has to play by these simple rules of discussion. If not, all you end up with is a condecending monologue that has no educational, academical or social value, nor integrity.

17 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's due diligence to actually read the spec. When did our standards for tech journalism fall this far?

There is no spec. The specification for PCIe 4.0 is expected to arrive next year.

13 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The newest specification listed is PCIe 3.1a, released in December last year. PCIe 4.0 isn't listed at all.

9 hours ago, Prysin said:

it would never be true. The complexity of motherboards would skyrocket beyond belief. You would need all custom connector for just the power delivery to the board. The board would need to gain 2-3mm of thickness in order to gain enough copper to handle the draw without having to perforate the board with heatpipes and heatsinks.

At 2-3mm added thickness, no case in existence would fit the new boards, as they would actually not be able to fit into the IO cutout.

@patrickjp93

Not sure why you originally quoted me, or why you're so damn stuck up with not providing sources.

It is the claimant who has the burden of evidence to prove the other party wrong, not the accused. So claiming people can just "look shit up" breaks this minimum principle of discussions.

Likewise, people are equally required to provide source material when proving you wrong. If you expect people to take seriously, you, like anyone else, has to play by these simple rules of discussion. If not, all you end up with is a condecending monologue that has no educational, academical or social value, nor integrity.

I do play by those rules, consistently.

8 hours ago, PopReference said:

Accounts are linked to membership companies, under email address it asks for the company, membership for businesses is $4000.

So, not free

I got one for free.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

There is no spec. The specification for PCIe 4.0 is expected to arrive next year.

The newest specification listed is PCIe 3.1a, released in December last year. PCIe 4.0 isn't listed at all.

PCIe 4 was just ratified. It becomes a purchase able product next year. Just like ISO standards or anything else, the document gets posted after an editing period to make it look pretty.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

I do play by those rules, consistently.

I got one for free.

PCIe 4 was just ratified. It becomes a purchase able product next year. Just like ISO standards or anything else, the document gets posted after an editing period to make it look pretty.

Ill fax you a cookie

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Sure, but the point is the specification hasn't been published and therefore you can't expect a tech writer to check it.

? Would've been cool to have 300 Watts per slot.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

On 8/26/2016 at 4:32 PM, Sakkura said:

Sure, but the point is the specification hasn't been published and therefore you can't expect a tech writer to check it.

It has in draft form. PCI-SIG had copies of it at HotChips. If journalists don't want to do the work to pick them up and actually do journalism (may Kronkite rest his soul), then it's our job to harangue them!

On 8/26/2016 at 10:41 PM, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

No, that would've just been dangerous.

On 8/25/2016 at 4:44 PM, patrickjp93 said:

It's 300W of power over the entire bus at a maximum of 75W per slot for 4 slots.

This makes so much more sense.

On 8/26/2016 at 10:41 PM, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

It would have been the opposite of cool.

It would have been burning hot.

On 8/26/2016 at 2:12 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

When advertising became a complete joke

HOLY SHIT When I skimmed that page I didn't notice the craptastic truthbending lol

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

It has in draft form. PCI-SIG had copies of it at HotChips. If journalists don't want to do the work to pick them up and actually do journalism (may Kronkite rest his soul), then it's our job to harangue them!

The article was posted 2 days before the first day of HotChips. They based it on information received at IDF.

18 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The article was posted 2 days before the first day of HotChips. They based it on information received at IDF.

So shit-tier reporting confirmed?

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

Patrick confirmed to be wrong two times in the same thread (PCI specs being free, and Tom's hardware basing the article on info at HotChips)? More likely than you might think.

I wouldn't call it "shit-tier" reporting. They sat down and got a brief look at the incomplete PCIe 4.0 draft specifications and jumped to the wrong conclusion. It seems like an honest mistake that got corrected quickly.

Yes Patrick, reporting what you're told at the Intel Developer Forum is shit-tier reporting. xD

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Patrick confirmed to be wrong two times in the same thread (PCI specs being free, and Tom's hardware basing the article on info at HotChips)? More likely than you might think.

I wouldn't call it "shit-tier" reporting. They sat down and got a brief look at the incomplete PCIe 4.0 draft specifications and jumped to the wrong conclusion. It seems like an honest mistake that got corrected quickly.

I didn't get proven wrong. YOu can download them for free. Just make an account.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Yes Patrick, reporting what you're told at the Intel Developer Forum is shit-tier reporting. xD

People misunderstood what they were told. Quote it word for word and it's clear as a venetian crystal bell.

Its 300W combinend indeed.

I allready said that in another topic about pci-e 4.0.

Its 75W per 16X slot.

PCI-e 4.0 standard wont be any diffrent, still 300W total.

But yeah the confusion and missleadment is what you get.

Wenn so called tech sources write articles without knowing what they exaly talk about.

23 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Its 300W combinend indeed.

I allready said that in another topic about pci-e 4.0.

Its 75W per 16X slot.

PCI-e 4.0 standard wont be any diffrent, still 300W total.

But yeah the confusion and missleadment is what you get.

Wenn so called tech sources write articles without knowing what they exaly talk about.

You might want to fix your title then...

29 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I didn't get proven wrong. YOu can download them for free. Just make an account.

Yes, a "free" account your company first has to pay 4000 dollars to get.

It's free in the same sense that I can get a "free" Intel CPU if I first give the store 320 dollars in a "membership fee to the buy a 6700K membership club".

Do I need to remind you that you also said they were "publicly available"? Last time I checked, something you need to be a member to view, as well as the company you work for having to pay a fee, is not "publicly available".

27 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You might want to fix your title then...

What should i fix about it? :P

Wenn i first readed the article about it.

I allready laughed my ass off.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's free in the same sense that I can get a "free" Intel CPU if I first give the store 320 dollars in a "membership fee to the buy a 6700K membership club".

Do I need to remind you that you also said they were "publicly available"? Last time I checked, something you need to be a member to view, as well as the company you work for having to pay a fee, is not "publicly available".

Its just the "pirate the textbook that costs a lot and is only in the US" all over again.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It does not cost $4000. I got for free and didn't even have to ask Intel to sponsor the access.

15 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It does not cost $4000. I got for free and didn't even have to ask Intel to sponsor the access.

Even if that was true (it's not, look at this page), it would still not be publicly available. You were wrong.

What was that smug thing you wrote at first? Look at the facts that are presented right in front of your face?