Looking for Headphone Recommendations

Sportsman225

Budget - <=100 USD. Willing to go a little higher if necessary.

Source - My PC and my Nexus 5X phone

Requirements for Isolation - I will be using this at home for gaming but I will also take it on my trips to campus to listen to between classes. Closed headphones will work for now until I can invest in an open pair for home.

Will you be using these Headphones in Public? - Yes

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-Sized. I would prefer something with a removable cable to allow for easier switching from my computer to being on the go.

Preferred tonal balance - I do not really know so I will say balanced.

Past headphones - Turtle Beach gaming headset. The audio quality is just not up to par (obviously).

Preferred Music - Metal and Rock. TriviumSlipknotBlack TideDisturbedSystem of a Down.

What would you like to improve on from your set-up - I would like a good step up in audio quality from my "gaming headset". I plan on buying something like the modmic to use to talk to my friends while gaming.

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

For Gaming, the best I would recomend is the HyperX Cloud 2. But for music i would suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x.

21 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Hyperx cloud ii?

14 minutes ago, Pdates said:

For Gaming, the best I would recomend is the HyperX Cloud 2. But for music i would suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x.

The HyperX Cloud 2 wasn't really in my radar before. I just watched a review on it and it actually looks pretty good. I assumed "gaming headset" = Low quality but that doesn't seem to always be the case. I am still leaning toward the M40x though.

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

13 minutes ago, Pdates said:

Nah. Just spend the extra cash and get the M50xs. I use them for all gaming and they're great. Music sounds awesome, too. Just keep in mind that they're studio headphones so they'll sound a bit flat if you're coming from, say, beats. 

How about AT WS770is, sounds great, good looking ahort cable (non-removable tho), and and has remote control.

10 minutes ago, WillHD said:

Nah. Just spend the extra cash and get the M50xs. I use them for all gaming and they're great. Music sounds awesome, too. Just keep in mind that they're studio headphones so they'll sound a bit flat if you're coming from, say, beats. 

Looking at Amazon, I can get refurbished M50X's for $99. I think that is what I might do.

The Cloud II headphones are pretty much the only gaming headphones i would recommend. HyperX pretty much just took a already good pair of headphones and just stuck their logo on it and added a mic. Around here they often go on sale at around 60-70$ which is what i picked up a pair for. Sadly i suffer from Tinnitus and the closed back just didnt work for me since it isolates quite alot and the ringing in my ears just gets worse with closed back. But the sound quality is very good for the price and the fact that you get leather and velour pads with them is also great.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

The Philips Fidelio L2 is on sale for $129 on Amazon right now. Snatch that deal! 

It is so much better than the overhyped M50x. 

4 hours ago, WillHD said:

How about no.

M40x are much better value than m50x, and m50x are no where near flat. Cant imagine anyone using them in a studio.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

51 minutes ago, spwath said:

How about no.

M40x are much better value than m50x, and m50x are no where near flat. Cant imagine anyone using them in a studio.

Again, someone here has described the ATH-M50x as 'flat' when it's anything but flat. In fact, the M40X has less of a bass boost and should sound flatter and is cheaper, definitely better value compared to the M50X. Hence, I agree with you that for OP's requirement, the M40x would be better.....unless Of values bass above everything else.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Just now, GamerDude said:

Again, someone here has described the ATH-M50x as 'flat' when it's anything but flat. In fact, the M40X has less of a bass boost and should sound flatter and is cheaper, definitely better value compared to the M50X. Hence, for OP's requirement, the M40x would be better.....unless Of values bass above everything else.

exactly.

Not everyone knows how to read a fr graph, but I think everyone can say this is not flat. (the blue that is)

M50vs558.png

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

30 minutes ago, spwath said:

exactly.

Not everyone knows how to read a fr graph, but I think everyone can say this is not flat. (the blue that is)

M50vs558.png

I don't exactly know how myself :$ but I'm learning, can you describe what I'm seeing here? Only reason why I'd said it wasn't flat was due to the fact that I'd actually tried out the M50X (was looking for a good closed back can) and I just didn't like what I'd heard. I finally settled on two good enough closed back in the ATH-A900X LTD and my Alpha Dog (my Denon D2k and D7k do NOT count as closed, more like semi-closed/open). Anyway, about the Fr Graph, I think it looks like there's a sub bass roll off, with ~ +5dB mid bass boost/hump.....HF seems to roll off but with a couple of small spikes. Did I get it right? Or, have I mucked it up real bad? Remember, I'm quite a newb at this, but willing to learn from more savvy members.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 8/23/2016 at 8:21 PM, spwath said:

How about no.

I've had both headphones and prefer the m50s. You can get them refurbished for 99$, as op said. And I was saying that they were flat compared to Beats. They are marketed as studio headphones. 

33 minutes ago, WillHD said:

I've had both headphones and prefer the m50s. You can get them refurbished for 99$, as op said. And I was saying that they were flat compared to Beats. They are marketed as studio headphones. 

You also have beats that are marketed as studio headphones.. Beats Studio...

Maketing does not really mean that they will be good or the best for that given thing. Just like "gaming" headsets are not the best for gaming.

If you want to hear flat listen to the K612pro, they are really flat and analytical and a tiny bit on the bright side of things.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.