Did I make a mistake by taking the GTX 1060 over the RX 480 ?

TheRealZenith
Go to solution Solved by Citadelen,
8 minutes ago, App4that said:

-snip-

Oh please, No Man's Sky, really? It uses OpenGL, of course it runs terribly on AMD. How many relevant games do you know use OpenGL?

Averaged out the 1060 is 7-10% faster than the RX 480 in DX11, with the RX 480 being faster in both DX12 and Vulkan. 

So as usual, when upgrading to a new GPU, I did my usual research, checking benchmarks for Power Usage, Games and temps. GTX 1060 seemed like the slightly better choice and I went with it. However, today, I saw the massive gain RX 480 gets on DX12 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uoanTrMenI : and researched more about Async and realized  AMD’ newer cards have ACE's (Asynchronous Compute Engines) physically built into their silicon chips. Nvidia cards simply don’t.Now what Nvidia has is a software driver that allows them to Run the Game engine code on a DX12 game where Asynchronous compute is running. But they run the code in a serial pipeline like DX11.

So your card can run the code but it cannot take advantage of the code. You get no performance boost and you actually lose a little bit of performance because of schedule switching that slows up your GPU a little bit depending on how well optimized nvidia drivers are.So you can theoretically with GOOD drivers run a DX12 game with Async-compute but you cannot leverage that feature to reduce frame latency and boost FPS because you do not have the physical SMT(simultaneous multi-threading) engines build into your hardware.

So in terms of future games and the overall shift , the RX 480 would have been the far better choice

It sucks even more when i realized that in most cases the difference between the 480 and the 1060 is around 5-8 fps, something I could have easily lived with. 

Am I overthinking it here ? :/ 

No, lets look at the largest Steam release of 2016 that just happened days ago. The 1060 is 40% faster than the 480.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'm going to go against what others said, and say well that's really up to you.

The 1060 is great in current and older games, and not too bad in newer games. The 480 does edge it out in DX12 and Vulkan. However both are great cards, and for 1080p gaming both are fine. Sure if you want all the eye candy the 1060 is great for that. Or 1080 144hz or 1440p 60hz is really where the 1060 is best suited for. But for 1080p 60hz the 480 is just fine. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, App4that said:

No, lets look at the largest Steam release of 2016 that just happened days ago. The 1060 is 40% faster than the 480.

Thats fine, but my concern as you can read is elsewhere. See the benchmarks i posted as well, the shift to dx12 + vulkun will happen and then 480 will probably take the lead. I am aware that my card wins on most games atm though :) 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

a.) Are they comparing reference card to reference card?

b.) No mans sky doesn't account for all games. In the Hardware Unboxed comparison review the average difference between the reference 1060 (iirc) and reference 480 was about 12%.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 minutes ago, TheRealZenith said:

Thats fine, but my concern as you can read is elsewhere. See the benchmarks i posted as well, the shift to dx12 + vulkun will happen and then 480 will probably take the lead. I am aware that my card wins on most games atm though :) 

Like Dues Ex? No, that's being released on DX11. See the point? DX12 and Vulkan are AMD's boogie man to scare good little gamers into buying their product. Only the switch isn't happening because of problems with Dx12. 

No worries mate, you bought a great card. Don't let the marketing get you twisted. 

Both are great cards and you made a fine decision. People are going to argue back and for about which one is slightly better than the other, but it doesn't really matter. Your card performs well, and so does the 480. End of story.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

-snip-

Oh please, No Man's Sky, really? It uses OpenGL, of course it runs terribly on AMD. How many relevant games do you know use OpenGL?

Averaged out the 1060 is 7-10% faster than the RX 480 in DX11, with the RX 480 being faster in both DX12 and Vulkan. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

And yet neither can get 60fps average at 1440p medium settings... go home No Man's Sky, you're drunk...

Anyway, the GTX 1060 is the statistically better card, but if you're a European scrub like I am and the 1060 is upwards of £50 more expensive than the 480, than the 480 is the better buy.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, Citadelen said:

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

And yet neither can get 60fps average at 1440p medium settings... go home No Man's Sky, you're drunk...

You didn't get the point. You can cherry pick ether way, so getting upset over a cherry picked game benchmark is silly. The 1060 is in no danger of having any issues playing any modern game or any on the horizon. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

You didn't get the point. You can cherry pick ether way, so getting upset over a cherry picked game benchmark is silly. The 1060 is in no danger of having any issues playing any modern game or any on the horizon. 

Forgive me, I wasn't criticising your choice of benchmark, I was criticising No Man's Sky for being a buggy, unoptimised, overpriced disappointment of a game.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Forgive me, I wasn't criticising your choice of benchmark, I was criticising No Man's Sky for being a buggy, unoptimised, overpriced disappointment of a game.

You preach then brother. I couldn't agree more. What a disappointment. 

Just now, App4that said:

-snip-

Please enlighten me, what is the point? Oh and lay off the sublime superiority rhetoric as well, I'll take you more seriously.

No it isn't, I don't think anyone here said it was, it's simply that it won't be as good as the RX 480.

Just now, Citadelen said:

Please enlighten me, what is the point? Oh and lay off the sublime superiority rhetoric as well, I'll take you more seriously.

No it isn't, I don't think anyone here said it was, it's simply that it won't be as good as the RX 480.

200_s.gif

Just now, App4that said:

-snip-

I was expecting some kind of angry barrage ala zMeul, ignore ala Majestic or big words ala Patrick. xD 

5 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I was expecting some kind of angry barrage ala zMeul, ignore ala Majestic or big words ala Patrick. xD 

As my brother said above both the 480 and 1060 are great cards, and they will trade blows in the games being released as did their fathers before them the 390 and 970. Fueling healthy debate here in the senate, but not really effecting anyone with ether cards ability to enjoy their games. 

No that's for ironic names like Hello Games. They and those like them will cause us to curse, not AMD or Nvidia. 

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this thread, learned a lot and did some more research. I will be exchanging my GTX 1060 with the Sapphire RX 480 tomorrow. 9_9 

15 minutes ago, TheRealZenith said:

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this thread, learned a lot and did some more research. I will be exchanging my GTX 1060 with the Sapphire RX 480 tomorrow. 9_9 

Good luck with that. 

36 minutes ago, JabroniBaloney said:

I did the opposite of what OP is doing and couldn't be happier with the 1060. But different strokes and all.

Wanna give me the reasons ? always open to more info 

6 hours ago, TheRealZenith said:

What make you go for that decision? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 hours ago, Citadelen said:

My 2 cents worth-between 2010 and 2013 AMD reduced OpenGL performance to around a third of what it was...which might explain the low performance they have now.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL