ASUS Strix 970 4GB VS SAPPHIRE RX 480 4GB

Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,

The RX 480 would overall be the better choice.

I would like to know which of these cards are better, because there aren't any benchmarks I can see that tell me this.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

For just performance?

Just now, LiamardoHD said:

For just performance?

Not only that. I'd get it for its Vulkan and DirectX 12 capabilities and the fact it's a newer architecture which hasn't fully matured yet. The GTX 970 at this point is an old last generation product.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Not only that. I'd get it for its Vulkan and DirectX 12 capabilities and the fact it's a newer architecture which hasn't fully matured yet. The GTX 970 at this point is an old last generation product.

Thanks.

They are comparable, after all. I think that you will get the same gaming experience if you buy one or another.

I'll point as soon as possible: i'd choose 970 for the wattage problems of the 480, but most of all, for the temperature: i hate to know that my components are over 70°C

Right now 970 is cheaper (at least here) but probably the rx480 could be optimized better with DX12

Just now, Shingouki said:

They are comparable, after all. I think that you will get the same gaming experience if you buy one or another.

I'll point as soon as possible: i'd choose 970 for the wattage problems of the 480, but most of all, for the temperature: i hate to know that my components are over 70°C

Right now 970 is cheaper (at least here) but probably the rx480 could be optimized better with DX12

The power drawing from the PCI-E? That was just on the reference. Plus, it's been fixed now. I think.

1 minute ago, LiamardoHD said:

The power drawing from the PCI-E? That was just on the reference. Plus, it's been fixed now. I think.

3 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

It was fixed a while ago. A while being like a month. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, LiamardoHD said:

Yup, that one, and i don't think that it can be fixed. I mean, if you have a 200W VGA (don't remember the precise wattage so i'll just say some random numbers) and you can take 80 from pci and 80 from the power supply... How can you fix that without nerfing the VGA?

Yup, that one, and i don't think that it can be fixed. I mean, if you have a 200W VGA (don't remember the precise wattage so i'll just say some random numbers) and you can take 80 from pci and 80 from the power supply... How can you fix that without nerfing the VGA?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-power-fix,review-33600.html

5 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

It was fixed. The RX 480 now has 0 power draw issues.

Edited by ThinkWithPortals

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

9 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

The PCI-e spec problem was fixed through drivers quite a good while back.

The temperature problem is exclusive to the the reference cooler. Like all cards, they tend to be shitty at cooling. The reference GTX 970 ran 80C under load.

1 minute ago, Shingouki said:

"AMD had to bite the bullet and throttle its GPU a bit" Yup, nerfed.

Also, remember what i said about temperature

Jesus, you like jumping to conclusions without reading whole thing:

'AMD really delivered on a driver update that overrides the BIOS defaults to relieve the motherboard slot without a performance loss, and with only a slight increase in total power consumption. '

There's the compatibility toggle but that's unnecessary to be honest.

Spoiler

I have a GA-H81M-H so the PCI-E power problems will affect me.

5 minutes ago, LiamardoHD said:

I have a GA-H81M-H so the PCI-E power problems will affect me.

No, you're fine. It's fixed. PCPer & Tom's Hardware have both said it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The PCI-e spec problem was fixed through drivers quite a good while back.

The temperature problem is exclusive to the the reference cooler. Like all cards, they tend to be shitty at cooling. The reference GTX 970 ran 80C under load.

Jesus, you like jumping to conclusions without reading whole thing:

'AMD really delivered on a driver update that overrides the BIOS defaults to relieve the motherboard slot without a performance loss, and with only a slight increase in total power consumption. '

There's the compatibility toggle but that's unnecessary to be honest.

Also, the test say that the RX480 absorbs 79W from PCIe. Just remembering everyone that the standard is 75W, so it can still give problems.

Edited by Shingouki
Wrote twice the same thing

Also, the test say that the RX480 absorbs 79W from PCIe. Just remembering everyone that the standard is 75W, so it can still give problems, and can still give problems.

'Should these issues have been discovered and fixed before releasing and selling the Radeon RX 480 to the consumer? Absolutely. Is the power phase weighting adjustment and Compatibility Mode combination enough to make the card at or under spec for ALL workloads? Based on my testing, no. But I do believe that AMD has done it’s best to address the power consumption concerns without a hit to performance, getting the RX 480 to a much more reasonable power situation. I no longer believe that consumers should be worried about the stability of their PCs running the RX 480 with the 16.7.1 driver installed.' - PCPer

Out of spec, sure, but it shouldn't be a concern regardless.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

You must be kidding, it will work good only on high end motherboard, that doesn't care if you have 200Watts on the PCIe. (and i would neither suggest it, since it's still not good for the motherboard). Also remember that there are motherboards that are capable of giving right 75W and not a single watt over, because of that standard. Also consider the option of using another pci, maybe you want another sound card (i mean, can a sound card absorb 1W?) or whatever.

Standards are there for a reason.

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

No, you're fine. It's fixed. PCPer & Tom's Hardware have both said it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

I know. But I mean it would of affected me.

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

'Should these issues have been discovered and fixed before releasing and selling the Radeon RX 480 to the consumer? Absolutely. Is the power phase weighting adjustment and Compatibility Mode combination enough to make the card at or under spec for ALL workloads? Based on my testing, no. But I do believe that AMD has done it’s best to address the power consumption concerns without a hit to performance, getting the RX 480 to a much more reasonable power situation. I no longer believe that consumers should be worried about the stability of their PCs running the RX 480 with the 16.7.1 driver installed.' - PCPer

Unless they're using a motherboard from 2006 with PCIe gen 1.0 ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

PCIe 3.0 still has the standard of using 75W
Unless you have PCIe 4.0 on your motherboard, and you just came back from future with that new motherboard, i would not suggest you buying an AMD RX480

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless they're using a motherboard from 2006 with PCIe gen 1.0 ;) 

OLD MOBO MASTER RACE

And Also did the windows thing work?

1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

You must be kidding, it will work good only on high end motherboard, that doesn't care if you have 200Watts on the PCIe. (and i would neither suggest it, since it's still not good for the motherboard). Also remember that there are motherboards that are capable of giving right 75W and not a single watt over, because of that standard. Also consider the option of using another pci, maybe you want another sound card (i mean, can a sound card absorb 1W?) or whatever.

And those standards are slightly too old ya know...you can draw more than 75watts of a single 6 pin PCIe on any decent single rail PSU, considering 8 pin  cables now are just 6 pins with 2 extra ground cables attached to 2 of the existing 3 from the 6 pin...

You must have a really really old or shit motherboard for it not to be able to handle a few watts over spec...the 950 (without 6 pin) peaks at 79 watts and I've not heard any damaged motherboards from that card.

8 minutes ago, LiamardoHD said:

It won't mate, the RX480 is the better choice and the sapphire nitro 4GB has a 8 pin so the chances you'll get affected is negative 1 billion. Too bad OCuk raised the price of it by 10 quid 2 days ago :/ 

2 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

PCIe 3.0 still has the standard of using 75W
Unless you have PCIe 4.0 on your motherboard, and you just came back from future with that new motherboard, i would not suggest you buying an AMD RX480

The RX480 he's talking about is the fucking nitro with 8 pin anyway...how do I know? Well it's because it's the cheapest RX480 and sapphire reference 4GB cards don't seem to exist here...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You'd be hard pressed to find motherboards dying from this. Did you even read Ryan's conclusion?

'I no longer believe that consumers should be worried about the stability of their PCs running the RX 480 with the 16.7.1 driver installed.'

4 minutes ago, LiamardoHD said:

It would have 'affected' everyone. The likelihood of your motherboard dying due to this, however, is virtually nil.

Spoiler