ASUS Strix 970 4GB VS SAPPHIRE RX 480 4GB

Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,

The RX 480 would overall be the better choice.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And those standards are slightly too old ya know...you can draw more than 75watts of a single 6 pin PCIe on any decent single rail PSU, considering 8 pin  cables now are just 6 pins with 2 extra ground cables attached to 2 of the existing 3 from the 6 pin...

You must have a really really old or shit motherboard for it not to be able to handle a few watts over spec...the 950 (without 6 pin) peaks at 79 watts and I've not heard any damaged motherboards from that card.

It won't mate, the RX480 is the better choice and the sapphire nitro 4GB has a 8 pin so the chances you'll get affected is negative 1 billion. Too bad OCuk raised the price of it by 10 quid 2 days ago :/ 

The RX480 he's talking about is the fucking nitro with 8 pin anyway...how do I know? Well it's because it's the cheapest RX480 and sapphire reference 4GB cards don't seem to exist here...

Thanks.

Havent read a single nitro since now
Reference cards are still available
Never suggested a gtx 950 (the one without the 6 pin is nerfed at right 75W)

Anyway, if you're consider the nitro+, go for it. If i remember well, it sucked just a bit more than 6A from the motherboard, so it should be fine. 8 pin connector

9 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You'd be hard pressed to find motherboards dying from this. Did you even read Ryan's conclusion?

'I no longer believe that consumers should be worried about the stability of their PCs running the RX 480 with the 16.7.1 driver installed.'

It would have 'affected' everyone. The likelihood of your motherboard dying due to this, however, is virtually nil.

I know, I don't know why I said it, I've just got up, lol.