Phanteks TC12DX, is it any good?

handymanshandle

So I can't seem to find many video reviews about it and I wanted to know if there's anyone here who's used it or currently used it and what you thought about it.

Anyways it'd be for a 6600K and I do want to overclock it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I have one. Its fairly good. I've gotten a A8 6600K to 5Ghz at 1.55V although I did switch out fans for much more powerful ones. Its a fairly good cooler overall and imo looks great but if you are in the US I would go for the Scythe Fuma instead since its arguably is the best HSF out there.

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

I have one. Its fairly good. I've gotten a A8 6600K to 5Ghz at 1.55V although I did switch out fans for much more powerful ones. Its a fairly good cooler overall and imo looks great but if you are in the US I would go for the Scythe Fuma instead since its arguably is the best HSF out there.

I'll be using it with an i5 6600K, I think I would probably replace the default fans with the Noctua Redux 120mm fans if that would be an okay pairing.

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

I'll be using it with an i5 6600K, I think I would probably replace the default fans with the Noctua Redux 120mm fans if that would be an okay pairing.

The Redux fans have weak static pressure.since they are made for airflow not a radiator or a heatsink so they would perform worse than the stock fans..

12 hours ago, wcreek said:

Why?

40 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

The Redux fans have weak static pressure.since they are made for airflow not a radiator or a heatsink so they would perform worse than the stock fans..

The heatsink isn't that dense and a fan doesn't need that much static pressure to sufficiently push through the fins. The NF-S12B works just fine. Also, the more-balanced NF-P14R's fit on the heatsink and will easily perform better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why?

Idk the redux line from Noctua looks good. 

1 hour ago, vagabond139 said:

Well as woodenmarker said, the heatsink doesn't have that high of a fin density to need a super high static pressure.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Idk the redux line from Noctua looks good. 

The PH-TC12DX isn't that cheap to begin with. Are you just getting it for looks?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The PH-TC12DX isn't that cheap to begin with. Are you just getting it for looks?

It's $50, it's about the same price as the Cryorig H5. I'm planning on getting it in part for looks but because I wanted something comparable to an H5/H7. The H5 wouldn't look quite right in an ITX build.

Just now, wcreek said:

It's $50, it's about the same price as the Cryorig H5. I'm planning on getting it in part for looks but because I wanted something comparable to an H5/H7. The H5 wouldn't look quite right in an ITX build.

The H5 is better but I guess that makes sense. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The H5 is better but I guess that makes sense. 

Well yeah, it's larger and got more surface area to get rid of the heat but it looks like the Phanteks is kinda a compromise between both the H5 and H7. I mean if the H7 does become available when I do end up building this PC, I may go for the H7 instead but right now I'm planning on it being the TC12DX_BK.

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well yeah, it's larger and got more surface area to get rid of the heat but it looks like the Phanteks is kinda a compromise between both the H5 and H7. I mean if the H7 does become available when I do end up building this PC, I may go for the H7 instead but right now I'm planning on it being the TC12DX_BK.

If you're just into thinner towers, the Kotetsu is a good heatsink to look at: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

25 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're just into thinner towers, the Kotetsu is a good heatsink to look at: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

Eh I think I'll stick with the Phanteks or Cryorig tower.