How much data throughput for Steam in Home Streaming?

DeadlyPilot
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
14 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

If i where to connect two machines through lan, would steam in home streaming benefit from a cat6? Would it even reach a 10gbps throughput? 

Also I'm a bit confused on what hardware is optimal for in home streaming. Would streaming be CPU intensive, GPU intensive, etc...

In home streaming uses about 50mb/s max. No need for anything faster than 100mb/s lan over cat 5.

It normally uses cpu or quicksync/nvec for encoding and the standard h264 decoder.

If i where to connect two machines through lan, would steam in home streaming benefit from a cat6? Would it even reach a 10gbps throughput? 

Also I'm a bit confused on what hardware is optimal for in home streaming. Would streaming be CPU intensive, GPU intensive, etc...

steam in-home streaming will take a bit more cpu power, but it's insignificant. the more important part is the network. using cat6 is perfect for the job, though the stream might lag because of the TV or device it's streaming to, or your router/repeater. 

11 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

Cat 6 is just a higher grade of cable capable of carrying higher speeds, your network adapters still have to support it. I wouldn't spend the extra money on Cat 6 unless you're running a really long distance or have more than gigabit cards. 

14 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

In home streaming uses about 50mb/s max. No need for anything faster than 100mb/s lan over cat 5.

It normally uses cpu or quicksync/nvec for encoding and the standard h264 decoder.

@DeadlyPilot in order to achieve 10 gbps the network cards on both ends of the cable have to be capable of 10 gbps.  Just because you install a superior cable, the maximum capability of your network cards will still be 100 mbps or 1 gbps depending on what you have in your computer.

Steam streams at 20-50 mbps, something like that. Cat5e is sufficient even for 1gbps, but as long as you drag cable through the house you may as well install Cat6a cable if you're made out of money (it may be a few times more expensive than cat5e cable)

The Steam Link device that Valve Released only has a 10/100 nic on it and it runs games just fine. 10Gbit is a bit unnecessary.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.