Experience with IKEA

ShaunOfNintendo

Question:

What are your past experiences with purchasing items from IKEA, and would you recommend them?

Reason for questions:

I'm planning on purchasing around €321.50 worth of equipment from IKEA and I'm looking for opinions on if the following items are worth the collected price or if I could find somethine better elsewhere for cheaper.

In total, I'm going to be purchasing a Desk, Office chair and Cable Trunk, which amounts to €256.50. The additional €75 would come from a 4 piece LED strip, an LED lamp, a foot-rest, and an Extension lead box

All those items (excluding the foot-rest) are all part of this set they have listed on their website:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/rooms/home-office/make-your-own-ultimate-gaming-space-1364299957992/

Thanks for your time :)

Relatively good, but mixed.

Examples:

I have bought two desks new and one desk second hand from IKEA and I'm very happy with all. Very sturdy, easy to build, good material, etc.

There are multiple Billy bookshelves in my house and I have no complaints about them, however.. They upped the price so it makes them less compelling.

I have 4 CD shelves (Gnedgy) which I purchased second hand and I'm very happy with them.

A couple year ago I bought a desk chair from them, which lasted me a really long time for the price, after it broke I bought a different one from them and I'm less happy with it. Right now I have the Torkel I think and it's generally very meh. Back support is not great, there is a hard piece on my upper back and it has recently started breaking apart (at one crucial place), so it 'sacking' backwards now. It broke WAY faster than any other desk chair I have ever had, so that's really disappointing.

So it's kind of a mixed back, with me mostly saying they make quality (but simple) furniture.

I don't have any experience with the furniture in that link.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Relatively good, but mixed.

Examples:

I have bought two desks new and one desk second hand from IKEA and I'm very happy with all. Very sturdy, easy to build, good material, etc.

There are multiple Billy bookshelves in my house and I have no complaints about them, however.. They upped the price so it makes them less compelling.

I have 4 CD shelves (Gnedgy) which I purchased second hand and I'm very happy with them.

A couple year ago I bought a desk chair from them, which lasted me a really long time for the price, after it broke I bought a different one from them and I'm less happy with it. Right now I have the Torkel I think and it's generally very meh. Back support is not great, there is a hard piece on my upper back and it has recently started breaking apart (at one crucial place), so it 'sacking' backwards now. It broke WAY faster than any other desk chair I have ever had, so that's really disappointing.

So it's kind of a mixed back, with me mostly saying they make quality (but simple) furniture.

I don't have any experience with the furniture in that link.

Okay, thanks for the input :) 

The chair is one thing I've been struggling with for a while now. I really can't seem to find one that has the right kind of ergonomics for the price. If you happen to know any good office chair (or just computer chair) sellers do let me know. 

My computer desk and my bed are from IKEA. Both on the cheap side of their catalogue.

The desk is solid, thick wood, nice color, doesn't scratch easily, very pleased with it.

The bed is just OK, I've assembled it just fine but some of the pieces are made of too thin wood. I didn't follow the instructions exactly in the order they're in the booklet and after I connected two pieces of wood together they fell down and the screw came out through the thin wood.

When it's fully assembled the thinnest doesn't matter because other parts spread the weight and all physical forces, so the bed will last, i'm just trying to point out some corners are cut at the lower prices but if you do as instructed you'll be satisfied with the purchase. 

10 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

The chair is one thing I've been struggling with for a while now. I really can't seem to find one that has the right kind of ergonomics for the price. If you happen to know any good office chair (or just computer chair) sellers do let me know. 

Pff, I wish I knew! I'm currently looking for a new chair myself (because as I said mine is now broken :P )  and have been struggling to find a good chair (without breaking the bank).

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

My computer desk and my bed are from IKEA. Both on the cheap side of their catalogue.

The desk is solid, thick wood, nice color, doesn't scratch easily, very pleased with it.

The bed is just OK, I've assembled it just fine but some of the pieces are made of too thin wood. I didn't follow the instructions exactly in the order they're in the booklet and after I connected two pieces of wood together they fell down and the screw came out through the thin wood.

When it's fully assembled the thinnest doesn't matter because other parts spread the weight and all physical forces, so the bed will last, i'm just trying to point out some corners are cut at the lower prices but if you do as instructed you'll be satisfied with the purchase. 

I agree with this. When you're assembling something from IKEA and you put a bit too much pressure on some place, it might damage. That is a shame, but in the end it doesn't really bother me.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Question:

What are your past experiences with purchasing items from IKEA, and would you recommend them?

Reason for questions:

I'm planning on purchasing around €321.50 worth of equipment from IKEA and I'm looking for opinions on if the following items are worth the collected price or if I could find somethine better elsewhere for cheaper.

In total, I'm going to be purchasing a Desk, Office chair and Cable Trunk, which amounts to €256.50. The additional €75 would come from a 4 piece LED strip, an LED lamp, a foot-rest, and an Extension lead box

All those items (excluding the foot-rest) are all part of this set they have listed on their website:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/rooms/home-office/make-your-own-ultimate-gaming-space-1364299957992/

Literally bought my shelf, desk, chair, table-legs - basically my whole current setup at IKEA. I didn't go for a 'pre-built' desk (hehe pre-built, get it?) but rather for a combination consisting of a drawer unit (75cm high), adjustable legs to match the hight, and a simple black table top. I also bought a MARKUS chair which I'm really happy with and managed to not exceed 350€ (I think it was quite a bit less actually), the most expensive part being the chair.

But so far I've been to IKEA for most of my furniture and I'm confident that I will get my future stuff there as well ^^

Hail Hydra #shieldcomegetme #9minutes

4 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I work at Staples and usually get my chairs there. Find a store that has a bunch on display.

My only experience is driving from Maine to Mass to buy a desk. It was easy to assemble and the leg system is fantastic, but it is not designed for a mounted monitor. The desk is so light and not dense, so a lot of pressure in the middle back not only digs into the desk, but caused the whole desk to bend a little. I had to design a wedge to keep the monitors straight.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Thanks for all your inputs everyone!

I think I'll still hunt around for that chair for a bit longer so I can make sure I get the right one.

Thanks to @BLoCkZ420's input I think I'll see how more affordable it would be to simply buy custom desk parts and put that together myself.

1 hour ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Question:

Reason for questions:

IKEA is fine. Sure there are better Places to buy Stuff from. But way more expensive. I wouldnt recommend ordering a Chair tho. Not just because its IKEA, because you should go in an actual Store and sit on it. Good Luck

3 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Thanks for all your inputs everyone!

I think I'll still hunt around for that chair for a bit longer so I can make sure I get the right one.

Thanks to @BLoCkZ420's input I think I'll see how more affordable it would be to simply buy custom desk parts and put that together myself.

I agree with the others - if possible, go to an actual IKEA store and try out the different chairs they have before buying one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All my cutlery, plates and bowls are from ikea. I think they're pretty decent.

Recently went and bought a mini file cabinet. Not bad for the price. And their meatball meals are delicious.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Question:

Reason for questions:

I built this desk for around 100 bucks. its about 11 feet long spans from one wall to the next.

IMG_0218.JPG

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree with the others - if possible, go to an actual IKEA store and try out the different chairs they have before buying one.

Oh okay. I didn't actually know if IKEA had their products on the floor for you to try out. We only have one IKEA here in Ireland (In Dublin) which is a 3-4 hours drive from where I live, so knowing I can actually try out the products before hand is very good to know!

9 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Oh okay. I didn't actually know if IKEA had their products on the floor for you to try out. We only have one IKEA here in Ireland (In Dublin) which is a 3-4 hours drive from where I live, so knowing I can actually try out the products before hand is very good to know!

Assuming it's a full IKEA store, and not simply a pickup location, then yes, they should have pretty much everything on display, chairs included.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I have been to multiple IKEA stores in my life (Including one in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and France) and the stores' layouts were almost identical. First you have a path next to all kind of products which you can try out/see in real life (including desks, chairs and they even have fake rooms setup) and after that you have the big warehouse part, where you can grab the products you want (if you have never been to an IKEA, you first walk the first floor seeing the products, write down the products you want and grab them from the warehouse). After those two places you have the checkout and behind  that usually the restaurant.