What kind of plug is this?

SkylakeAlex6700k

I'm new to Ethernet cables as I am used to wifi, so what kind of plug is this? It plugs into my computer but I need a longer one. I need to know which one to buy. Also, is this plug compatible with the strix x99?

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Just get a Cat-6 RJ45

ez

What is the difference between cat5e and cat6. And between rj45 and 8p8c?

thanks

That's a regular network cable, to keep it simple.

Every motherboard for the last 10+ years i think by now has a connector for it.

Just go to your local hardware store and get an internet cable that's the length you want.

There are different types of cable that are capable of specific speeds, but if you are coming from a wireless connection it shouldn't matter.

Every wire that's available today beats most wifi things :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, SkylakeAlex6700k said:

I'm new to Ethernet cables as I am used to wifi, so what kind of plug is this? It plugs into my computer but I need a longer one. I need to know which one to buy. Also, is this plug compatible with the strix x99?

-snip-

The technical name for the plug is RJ-45. But if you ask for an ethernet cable someone will get you what you need.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

That seems to be a RJ45 ethernet cable. Anything, cat5/5e/6 will work.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Just now, SkylakeAlex6700k said:

thanks

In simple the wiring is different and cat 6 is more future proof for when gigabit internet speeds arrive to everywhere in the world.

For more in depth on wiring and stuff is here: https://www.firefold.com/blog/difference-between-cat5-vs-cat6-cables/

rj45 is the standered connector used in today's devices.

not all devices are compatible with 8p8c i guess

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

RJ45. You can just buy an ethernet cable from Newegg or Monoprice.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, SkylakeAlex6700k said:

thanks

Difference is between cat5e and cat6 (and the others)
https://planetechusa.com/blog/ethernet-different-ethernet-categories-cat3-vs-cat5e-vs-cat6-vs-cat6a-vs-cat7-vs-cat8/
I would suggest Cat6a or Cat7 to actually be "future proof" instead of regular cat5e or cat6.

As for RJ45 and 8p8c, it's the same thing I believe, 8p8c refer to the number of pinout and contacts in the modular connector.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

In simple the wiring is different and cat 6 is more future proof for when gigabit internet speeds arrive to everywhere in the world.

For more in depth on wiring and stuff is here: https://www.firefold.com/blog/difference-between-cat5-vs-cat6-cables/

rj45 is the standered connector used in today's devices.

not all devices are compatible with 8p8c i guess

cat5e can carry gigabit tho, that article talks about (obsolete) cat5 cables.

in general, the difference between cat5e and cat6 is that cat6 is much more resistant to interference, cat5e will lose signal after a few meters of sitting next to power cables, while cat6 is not as limited. (which makes cat6 the cable of choice at the datacenter i work ;))

in general, for home use its easier to just space out ethernet from power cables (just a few cm will do) and get the honestly much cheaper cat5e cables.

a trap to avoid is "cat6e" cables, which is a standard that does not exist, so the manufacturers that put that on the box are basicly just messing with you. (the standard past cat6 is "cat6A" and is used for 10Gbit for people who cant afford sfp+ cables.)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

cat5e can carry gigabit tho, that article talks about (obsolete) cat5 cables.

in general, the difference between cat5e and cat6 is that cat6 is much more resistant to interference, cat5e will lose signal after a few meters of sitting next to power cables, while cat6 is not as limited. (which makes cat6 the cable of choice at the datacenter i work ;))

in general, for home use its easier to just space out ethernet from power cables (just a few cm will do) and get the honestly much cheaper cat5e cables.

a trap to avoid is "cat6e" cables, which is a standard that does not exist, so the manufacturers that put that on the box are basicly just messing with you. (the standard past cat6 is "cat6A" and is used for 10Gbit for people who cant afford sfp+ cables.)

Any data center that doesn't use Cat9 or above is a scrub data center :P 

I assume most of that cabling though is for management connections and old server and/or 1Gb connections and you're using SFP+ or fiber on a lot of stuff?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Any data center that doesn't use Cat9 or above is a scrub data center :P 

I assume most of that cabling though is for management connections and old server and/or 1Gb connections and you're using SFP+ or fiber on a lot of stuff?

we're currently building using a mix of fiber, 10Gbps sfp+, and gigabit over cat6 cables.

the cat6 cables are mostly for the remote access, and for servers that need "many" physical connections, instead of "fast" physical connections. part of what we're implementing (especially those servers with many connections) is to keep lazy software devs happy because they can just put an image they made 4 years ago on servers we're installing today.

you know not to ask "why" when your manager tells you to plug cables in port 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12 :P

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

we're currently building using a mix of fiber, 10Gbps sfp+, and gigabit over cat6 cables.

the cat6 cables are mostly for the remote access, and for servers that need "many" physical connections, instead of "fast" physical connections. part of what we're implementing (especially those servers with many connections) is to keep lazy software devs happy because they can just put an image they made 4 years ago on servers we're installing today.

you know not to ask "why" when your manager tells you to plug cables in port 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12 :P

Yah, never question the manager :P 

I'm lucky in the fact that I get to plug in my own cables wherever I please, usually in a nice order :) but of course I'm not dealing with servers 99% of the time, I deal with switches and routers instead.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, never question the manager :P 

I'm lucky in the fact that I get to plug in my own cables wherever I please, usually in a nice order :) but of course I'm not dealing with servers 99% of the time, I deal with switches and routers instead.

i tried questioning why we have a 20 year old server, he pretty blatantly said that the software dev didnt bother to upgrade the program running on it to work on anything more recent, so it's still here, if it dies bad luck for that software dev :P

but my manager tries to push everything new that is not customer data storage or DMZ (webhost) into a standardized system where servers can basicly slide in and out as needed.

i probably should mention that one of the two rooms we have available has a broken airconditioning that still works, it just kind of makes the floor vibrate and rattles a lot, but if it fails its just one more reason to finally trash the infrastructure there, including the 20 year old server ;)