Virus

So if I download a virus how do I remove it quick and easy? Last time I downloaded a virus or whatever else you want to call it I removed it with the help of the LTT community but I still had problems afterwards.

I dont normally download viruses but my Norton security ran out so now I don't knowing I do or not.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Malware bytes, security essentials.

Don't download random crap. Be a non admin users and disable exectute permissions on your home folder

Well I mean after I install things. How do I do it then? And are viruses permanent or can they be completely removed? Because like I said, last time I removed the virus it solved the main problem but there were still other problems.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Malware bytes, security essentials.

Don't download random crap. Be a non admin users and disable exectute permissions on your home folder

Disable execute permissions on home folder? What does this mean? :)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

26 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

So if I download a virus how do I remove it quick and easy? Last time I downloaded a virus or whatever else you want to call it I removed it with the help of the LTT community but I still had problems afterwards.

I dont normally download viruses but my Norton security ran out so now I don't knowing I do or not.

Prevention is the best cure. Use an adblocker, turn off scripts when you can (noscript or similar), have some of the good free protection out there (comodo internet security is nice), and avoid potentially unsafe sites and files. You won't ever get a virus that way. The worst of it is tracking cookies (a price to pay for turning off adblockers to support sites/channels you like).

SUPERAntiSpyware I find is good for tracking cookies and worms/trojans. I think Malwarebytes does better on malware and rootkits. Both programs are free.

Depending on the virus, software can remove it but the damage caused by it is already done.

In these cases running SFC is an idea but most reinstall because who likes having remnants of malware on their system.

8 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Disable execute permissions on home folder? What does this mean? :)

You can't run a program in your user folder and removable devices. This will basically stop randsomware as you can't any files that you put on your computer.

26 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Well I mean after I install things. How do I do it then? And are viruses permanent or can they be completely removed? Because like I said, last time I removed the virus it solved the main problem but there were still other problems.

Not permanent, but they can be hard to remove, depending on what they have done. 

Stop going sketchy stuff. I have newer got a virus from the 5 years of using windows. You doing something wrong.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not permanent, but they can be hard to remove, depending on what they have done. 

Stop going sketchy stuff. I have newer got a virus from the 5 years of using windows. You doing something wrong.

A computer is very secure, a user isn't

Download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and Malwarebytes

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

33 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

The weakest link here is the user. A computer is naturally quite secure and won't get viruses by itself, it's the ill-informed user that causes all the trouble.

The best defence out there is your own common sense. Don't download sketchy stuff, don't go on sketchy websites and don't give permissions to sketchy programs.

In my decade or so of computing, I have never gotten a virus. Not once. Think before you click, people.

That's not to say that you don't need an antivirus. You do. At least enable Windows Defender until you can renew or buy an antivirus program.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?