Is the y700 a good gaming laptop

Hey I was just wondering I am trying to get a gaming laptop and I was looking for one I was looking at the lenovo Y700. Do you guys think I should get it, I am on a kind of on a budget but If there is one someone can find that is better and cheaper great. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, meneedhelp said:

Hey I was just wondering I am trying to get a gaming laptop and I was looking for one I was looking at the lenovo Y700. Do you guys think I should get it, I am on a kind of on a budget but If there is one someone can find that is better and cheaper great. Thanks!

I don't suggest you to buy any lenovo gaming laptop it's not bad but it just won't last you for long, I got the Y70 and it's great at first but now it's just crappy in some way. Go buy the Acer aspire V nitro, I don't know is it cheaper or not but just go check it out

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

5 hours ago, Annoyingnerds said:

I don't suggest you to buy any lenovo gaming laptop it's not bad but it just won't last you for long, I got the Y70 and it's great at first but now it's just crappy in some way. Go buy the Acer aspire V nitro, I don't know is it cheaper or not but just go check it out

You are completely wrong. The V Nitro is a terrible machine. It overheats, is made from shitty plastic and Acer support is terrible. The Y700 is a much better machine

5 hours ago, meneedhelp said:

It's one of the beat budget laptops at the moment. Get it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2016 at 1:31 AM, meneedhelp said:

Budget and location?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

On ‎05‎-‎08‎-‎2016 at 7:45 AM, Annoyingnerds said:

oh god thanks for the laugh, are you serious? You just recommended cancer, that is not nice. You can go through tech waste and find better laptops than that piece of shit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

also OP can you wait a bit? Pascal is here soon, so the prices of maxwell laptops will most likely go down a bit.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

40 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

also OP can you wait a bit? Pascal is here soon, so the prices of maxwell laptops will most likely go down a bit.

To be honest, I think they've already dropped. It's taken quite some time to get them onto mobile, unlike with Kepler and Maxwell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

6 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

To be honest, I think they've already dropped. It's taken quite some time to get them onto mobile, unlike with Kepler and Maxwell.

I have not seen any drops in price here in Denmark yet

Just now, Dackzy said:

I have not seen any drops in price here in Denmark yet

Check sites like your equivalent to Amazon and whatnot. Mobile GPUs *NEVER* drop in prices, the sales you find are basically clearance stock. In-shop will pretty much remain the same.

2 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Check sites like your equivalent to Amazon and whatnot. Mobile GPUs *NEVER* drop in prices, the sales you find are basically clearance stock. In-shop will pretty much remain the same.

I mainly buy my tech things at Proshop and they always lower their prices, when a new model is out. It is mainly to get rid of the old model, because most people only want to get the new model, because new is always better in their minds. I should maybe also be a bit more clear here, when I said go down in price I meant come on sale

On 8/13/2016 at 10:44 PM, D2ultima said:

Budget and location?

about 900 to 1,000$ max

On 8/14/2016 at 1:44 AM, D2ultima said:

i have not seen any price drops 

4 minutes ago, meneedhelp said:

about 900 to 1,000$ max

I asked for a budget and your location...

3 minutes ago, meneedhelp said:

i have not seen any price drops 

Then you'll need to find clearance sale laptops and they'll be prebuilt.

I wouldn't purchase anything Lenovo. After the issue with Lenovo having a bunch of dormant spyware installed by default, I have zero first in their ability to sell legitimate machines

http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/lenovo-laptop-virus.html?m=1

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/02/lenovo_superfish_scandal_why_it_s_one_of_the_worst_consumer_computing_screw.html

11 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

snip

Worst advice. By that logic you wouldn't be able to buy a single computer. Almost every manufacturer has done stupid shit like spyware and vulnerabilities such as Dell or Apple etc.. You don't judge a computer by it's parent. You have to judge it on a per model basis. Generally there are manufacturers that have fucked up and produced so many bad products like Asus and Acer that it's generally safe advice to avoid them, but you judge it by the product. The Y700 is a good laptop.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

23 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Worst advice..... snip

Take it or leave it, but Lenovo has continuous flaws. This post is about Lenovo laptops, and I don't recommend them. If OP is curious, they can look, otherwise it's merely a suggestion to think about. If it's not important to the consumer, then go ahead.

I do suggest cleaning out any laptop to make sure any garbage software is removed.

http://www.nationalcybersecurityinstitute.org/general-public-interests/here-we-go-again-lenovo-and-another-security-issue-aka-thinkpwn/

7 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Take it or leave it, but Lenovo has continuous flaws.

All these "flaws" have been fixed and only occur on their consumer lineup. Beyond that any of these "flaws" are easily fixed (clean os install) by the end-user, unlike other laptops out there with flaws such as thermal management that are difficult to change. Beyond your unjustified generalization that Lenovo is alone, there are plenty of security flaws in other manufacturers: http://globalnews.ca/news/2361523/second-security-flaw-found-in-dell-computers/

Ignoring all of that, since this post according to you is about Lenovo laptops, you're also generalizing their Thinkpad lineup which is generally considered the best laptops in the world. What would you recommendation be? By your logic the only other viable competitor at this price point for specs is the Dell 7559 and would totally be fucked as well due to "security" issues. 

Laptop Main

Yes, I'm well aware that nothing in this world is perfect; however, I don't trust the Lenovo brand. Yes, the hardware of the OPS model will work and is cheaper than competitors such as ASUS and MSI. Even with a slightly lowered price when compared to an MSI GL62, the Lenovo comes with more GDDR5 and longer warranty period.

However, me the consumer, am ware that I vote with my dollars, and I prefer not to give Lenovo any extra cash. My refusal to purchase a Lenovo is my own. I'm trying to stay away from the topic because for me, it's politically in depth, and not meant for this forum. I am not here to convince awaynnyone either way. You believe that I'm ignorant awaynnyone uneducated in my position, and I don't feel this forum is correct for me to discuss the honest reasons. So we can leave it as is.

The price for performance deal on the Lenovo is better than its competitors. I generally stick with MSI because of their history of great customer service. I've used Acer, HP, and Lenovo in the past, and the customer service was especially poor for Acer. Before you commit, just make sure you do your research to make sure you're 100 percent happy.

10 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

My refusal to purchase a Lenovo is my own. I'm trying to stay away from the topic because for me, it's politically in depth

I'm actually quite curious about this. If you have facts to back up your politically in depth opinion I would love to know. Not afraid to admit if I'm wrong about something, just want to learn/know more. 

Laptop Main

13 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I'm actually quite curious about this. If you have facts to back up your politically in depth opinion I would love to know. Not afraid to admit if I'm wrong about something, just want to learn/know more. 

I will gather my information, and create a post if you about real curious. The short story is that the Chinese government is often intertwined with its businesses. After many other international relations issues with China, I believe that Lenovo leaves security flaws so that they can have more opportunity to steal corporate trade aboutreecretsnd government secrets of competitors. If you want to know more, I'll get the information. But I'm not a tin foil hat wearing individual, but you could say I've had some experience with the information.

5 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

snip

OH. I'm actually not surprised at all. I have a alot of contact with China and I'm just like OH. True. It's actually pretty plausible. If it were true, I'd be asking why don't they embed the spyware into their Thinkpad line cause the potential for secrets to be on such laptops is much higher than their consumer version. Mainland China experimented with the idea of giving a code to everyone that would dictate their entire being of existence (what they're worth, where they work, spouse, partner, kids, iq etc) so Lenovo being shady af is just another day. 

Laptop Main

28 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

OH. I'm actually not surprised at all. I have a alot of contact with China and I'm just like OH. True. It's actually pretty plausible. If it were true, I'd be asking why don't they embed the spyware into their Thinkpad line cause the potential for secrets to be on such laptops is much higher than their consumer version. Mainland China experimented with the idea of giving a code to everyone that would dictate their entire being of existence (what they're worth, where they work, spouse, partner, kids, iq etc) so Lenovo being shady af is just another day. 

that is very simple, they earn a shit ton on their ThinkPads and service deals and how fast would a company drop a PC if it had spyware, I can already say that the second they find out about it they would drop the PC and get something from another brand and you also kinda pay for having a laptop with no BS on it. You can even buy a SSD for your ThinkPad that is OPAL 2.0 capable, I have that in my T420s...
From the long history I have had with ThinkPads, I would say that if Lenovo could do so all the win 10 reporting to MS was always off no matter what MS tried, then they would do it. I have talked with plenty of ThinkPad/Lenovo's Boss' and they all say that with a ThinkPad they will always try to do it as secure and private as possible.