4k DSR vs 4K Native Comparison.

ChiefGunny

This is a question LTT or anyone who actually has both monitors. Does 4k DSR look as good or close to as good as 4k Native. I don't want answers from people who don't have both monitors to compare. Anyone can say well of course 4K native will look better but that's not what I'm looking for. DSR actually uses slightly less VRAM and CPU than 4k Native and 4k DSR gets the same fps as 4k Native. So if someone or LTT reads this in a side by side comparison how much of a diff is there in 4k DSR and 4K Native?

Not it is not even close.

It is just downscaled 4k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, ChiefGunny said:

This is a question LTT or anyone who actually has both monitors. Does 4k DSR look as good or close to as good as 4k Native. I don't want answers from people who don't have both monitors to compare. Anyone can say well of course 4K native will look better but that's not what I'm looking for. DSR actually uses slightly less VRAM and CPU than 4k Native and 4k DSR gets the same fps as 4k Native. So if someone or LTT reads this in a side by side comparison how much of a diff is there in 4k DSR and 4K Native?

You do know what DSR is right?

To a first approximation it draws a scene in 4k then downsamples it to whatever resolution you are running (1080p). Thus while 4k DSR will preserve detail far better than running at native 1080p, it doesn't look as good as 4k native assuming you are close enough to your monitor to notice ANY benefits of the higher pixel count.

But that is the thing... The difference between 4k native and 4k DSR on 1080p is impossible to control against. It is a function of screen size, screen distance, eye sight, and that is assuming you are using downsampled to 1080p... It will look different if you are using a 1440p monitor as your downsampled resolution.

So I can give an example with a 38 inch 4k panel vs a 27 inch 1440p panel but that won't be worth jack shit to you.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

You do know what DSR is right?

To a first approximation it draws a scene in 4k then downsamples it to whatever resolution you are running (1080p). Thus while 4k DSR will preserve detail far better than running at native 1080p, it doesn't look as good as 4k native assuming you are close enough to your monitor to notice the difference.

But that is the thing... The difference between 4k native and 4k DSR on 1080p is impossible to control against. It is a function of screen size, screen distance, eye sight, and that is assuming you are using downsampled to 1080p... It will look different if you are using a 1440p monitor as your downsampled rate.

So I can give an example with a 38 inch 4k panel vs a 27 inch 1440p panel but that won't be worth jack shit to you.

Yes I know what it is or I wouldn't have posted it. This is the answers I knew I would get instead of the ones I was hoping for. I asked how much diff in them is there side by side.

Just now, ChiefGunny said:

Yes I know what it is or I wouldn't have posted it. This is the answers I knew I would get instead of the ones I was hoping for. I asked how much diff in them is there side by side.

In my experience, the 38 inch 4k panel was too big for me. I thought the smaller 1440p panel running DSR looked better, but that was probably because it has a higher pixel density, not because the quality was better. That said, I have limited desk depth, so I couldn't move the monitor farther away from me to be able to control for FOV differences.

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

In my experience, the 38 inch 4k panel was too big for me. I thought the smaller 1440p panel running DSR looked better, but that was probably because it has a higher pixel density, not because the quality was better. That said, I have limited desk depth, so I couldn't move the monitor farther away from me to be able to control for FOV differences.

I'm on a 24 inch 1080p monitor about 20 inches in front of me and 4K DSR looks great as long as you turn the smoothness to 0.

Just now, ChiefGunny said:

I'm on a 24 inch 1080p monitor about 20 inches in front of me and 4K DSR looks great as long as you turn the smoothness to 0.

Ok, that is a really close monitor... You would totally notice a difference there.

For example, your system is running 34.8 pixels per degree in the center of your field (at this level nvidia recommends very strong AA to hide artifacts. Which is why DSR looks so good for you.)

The setup I have is a 27 inch 1440p monitor about 36" away from me, which is about 70.7 ppd, and what I would consider an absolute minimum for me personally. (and still below the recommended 120 ppd for low AA usage requirements) 

http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDens2In.html

Also to talk to my point about the FOV controlling, to keep the same FOV (36 degree horizontal) with that 38" 4k monitor I had I would have had to put it at least 50 inches from my face. Resulting in a ppd of 104.8.

Average visual acuity (as actually measured in adults according to actual studies) is equivalent to 80 ppd, so anything more than that in regular features is in theory unnecessary (unfortunately due to the way out eyes and brains work, issues can still be visible until about 150 ppd.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

19 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Ok, that is a really close monitor... You would totally notice a difference there.

For example, your system is running 34.8 pixels per degree in the center of your field (at this level nvidia recommends very strong AA to hide artifacts. Which is why DSR looks so good for you.)

The setup I have is a 27 inch 1440p monitor about 36" away from me, which is about 70.7 ppd, and what I would consider an absolute minimum for me personally. (and still below the recommended 120 ppd for low AA usage requirements) 

http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDens2In.html

Also to talk to my point about the FOV controlling, to keep the same FOV (36 degree horizontal) with that 38" 4k monitor I had I would have had to put it at least 50 inches from my face. Resulting in a ppd of 104.8.

Average visual acuity (as actually measured in adults according to actual studies) is equivalent to 80 ppd, so anything more than that in regular features is in theory unnecessary (unfortunately due to the way out eyes and brains work, issues can still be visible until about 150 ppd.)

Thank you for all the replies, Help and patience.

The antialiasing effect is good, but you just can't make up for the lack of pixel density in the screen itself.

1 hour ago, ChiefGunny said:

DSR is just a glorified anti-aliasing technique, repackaged with the word "4K" because that's what's popular now. 1080p with anti-aliasing looks nowhere near what an actual 4K screen looks like.

• 2 years later...

Again: Does anyone saw the actual difference without juding without actual seeing things.

Like people judge on theory, but we want results