White stuff on 6700k

Guys a little help here, I just unboxed my cpu and there is white stuff on it(thermal paste?) is this normal?

IMG_5071.jpg

If it is new, Intel probabbly pulled it off of the line to test it then, but still it is unacceptable. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Brand new apparently, my first pc build :(

Did the packaging looks like it has been opened before? If so, then you might have gotten an RMA unit.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

Looks like poorly cleaned off thermal compound. If it was suppose to be new I'd ether send it back or clean it off with alcohol before applying fresh compound.

It's really not a big deal unless the connection pads are damaged, just clean it of with isopropyl alcohol and apply new thermal paste.

Got it offline, going back tomorrow to get a replacement.

Half an hour ago I was shitting meself. Thanks a ton guys, really appreciate the response. Thanks.

Next time check the cpu before opening. There is a cut out windows where the CPU is. It's the same with some video cards. the serial part has a window so you can see if the serial matches with the box.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Next time check the cpu before opening. There is a cut out windows where the CPU is. It's the same with some video cards. the serial part has a window so you can see if the serial matches with the box.

Will make sure I do that next time, thank you.

Hmmm, similar to this topic, I had this weird ring with 4 corners alien like mark on my new 6850k, that only became more visible after rubbing it with TIM cleaner:

4VYjSQn.jpg 

Was my CPU made by illuminati?

Linus is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Hmmm, similar to this topic, I had this weird ring with 4 corners alien like mark on my new 6850k, that only became more visible after rubbing it with TIM cleaner: 

Was my CPU made by illuminati?

Haaa, did you get a replacement?

3 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

Haaa, did you get a replacement?

Nope, havnt even used it yet, was a brand new sealed box, matching serials.

Linus is my fetish.

9 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Nope, havnt even used it yet, was a brand new sealed box, matching serials.

It's likely it was tested before it was boxed and they didn't clean it properly.

Ok, I'm probably a freaking idiot for not mentioning this but the guy who assembles the PCs there did actually test the motherboard and the CPU in the shop and so he did put the heat sink on it, so is it ok if its from the heat sink? 

I'm really bad at this.

Just now, sahxtan said:

Ok, I'm probably a freaking idiot for not mentioning this but the guy who assembles the PCs there did actually test the motherboard and the CPU in the shop and so he did put the heat sink on it, so is it ok if its from the heat sink? 

I'm really bad at this.

Then it's just TIM leftover from testing, most likely. Nothing to worry about, just clean it off and put some fresh TIM on it.

If thermal paste wasn't safe for CPUs then we wouldn't be using it still :D

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

7 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

It's likely it was tested before it was boxed and they didn't clean it properly.

Seems likely. My replacement mobo dispatched today after over a month of my old one being dead. Should have it tommorow, and it should be Broad well ready as MSI told me they started shipping their mobos with broad well bioses since April. 

Linus is my fetish.

Probably some left over thermal compound. Try cleaning it and applying your own.

Nothing.

6 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

I'm really bad at this.

In that case then it's the TIM from the heatsink he used, tbh it wasn't an issue in the first place since all you had to do is clean it off.

4 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

Probably some left over thermal compound. Try cleaning it and applying your own.

5 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

Then it's just TIM leftover from testing, most likely. Nothing to worry about, just clean it off and put some fresh TIM on it.

If thermal paste wasn't safe for CPUs then we wouldn't be using it still :D

Can somebody please tell me in what do I use to clean it? Thank you.

I dont have the Isopropyl alcohol.

7 minutes ago, sahxtan said:

Can somebody please tell me in what do I use to clean it? Thank you.

I dont have the Isopropyl alcohol.

you do realize it is rubbing alcohol... 

If not, just rub the paste off with a dry coffee filter as best you can... until no more grey comes off... I've done that before multiple times... as long as you apply new thermal paste, its generally fine.

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

I still use a bottle of akasa Tim clean based on citric acid. Smells amazing, but would burn if drunk.

If it gets on the fingers, the skin gets dry and sore the next day.

Linus is my fetish.