1060 with i5 3470t ? will it bottleneck

Gourab

i am having a i5 3470t/i3 2100 and 8 gb 1600mhz ram and 7200rpm hdd

i want to buy a new gpu (1060) will it bottleneck if yes   how much ?

before i was using a 960 4gb and which 1060 will best for me (plz don't tell about asus 1060 its just 4k less then 1070 in india )

THANKS

Spoiler

Spoiler

You know... bottlenecking is not an exact science. It depends on the game, the settings, what else you have running in the background... Overall, you can expect performance drops when compared to a fast CPU. But this shouldn't be too terribly bad.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Should be okay if you have the i5 (not the i3). Almost any 1060 will do, it's a cool card it doesn't need a magical cooler.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

7 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Should be okay if you have the i5 (not the i3). Almost any 1060 will do, it's a cool card it doesn't need a magical cooler.

But magical coolers are the best coolers.

Well also coolers that look nice are good too. So far it looks like all the 1060s I've seen have lacked backplates.

Though OP is in India it sounds like so maybe the extra heat made by the 480 might not be too good.

OP might also not care about aesthetic either. Which I know isn't suppose to be the number 1 priority but I think there's some people who would agree that a nice looking card that performs pretty good too isn't a bad thing. Though I feel like I might be going a bit off topic. So to get back on topic, the 1060 won't be bottle-necked by a newer i5 but an i3 would likely hold it back.

I'd say that you'd be best off pairing an RX 460 or RX 470 with an i3. Which sounds like there'll be more info coming out on those soon here too. Since AMD has kinda talking about the 470 and 460.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

An i5-3470T is a hyperthreaded dual-core, so a 1060 could be bottlnecked by it in some games that require quad cores.

Game dependant and most AAA titles prefer better CPUs than yours but u wil get playable FPS no matter what :) just no maxing all the games.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

25 minutes ago, wcreek said:

But magical coolers are the best coolers.

Well also coolers that look nice are good too. So far it looks like all the 1060s I've seen have lacked backplates.

Though OP is in India it sounds like so maybe the extra heat made by the 480 might not be too good.

OP might also not care about aesthetic either. Which I know isn't suppose to be the number 1 priority but I think there's some people who would agree that a nice looking card that performs pretty good too isn't a bad thing. Though I feel like I might be going a bit off topic. So to get back on topic, the 1060 won't be bottle-necked by a newer i5 but an i3 would likely hold it back.

I'd say that you'd be best off pairing an RX 460 or RX 470 with an i3. Which sounds like there'll be more info coming out on those soon here too. Since AMD has kinda talking about the 470 and 460.

That depend though, I'm yet to see a awful 1060 cooler. They all look so far fine. The EVGA mini and gaming coolers even still have the decent older design.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

14 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

That depend though, I'm yet to see a awful 1060 cooler. They all look so far fine. The EVGA mini and gaming coolers even still have the decent older design.

But no back plates though, which I know is nit picky and doesn't really affect the performance but it does seem to help the rigidity of the card and it looks better. The FTW and SSC coolers on the 1060 from EVGA aren't too bad but they lack something that a similarly performing GPU will likely have.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I think people get a bit too hung up on bottlenecks. There's always going to be some level of it somewhere; I mean I understand the desire to balance the system but I would just get the card you want. Back in the day I stuck a GTX 285 in with a Core2Duo E6550. Bottleneck? Probably, but that didn't stop it eating everything with acceptable frame rates...

5 hours ago, Gourab said:

i am having a i5 3470t/i3 2100 and 8 gb 1600mhz ram and 7200rpm hdd

i want to buy a new gpu (1060) will it bottleneck if yes   how much ?

yes it will...and by a lot.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR