Intel Performance Tuning Plan?

Hello.

I recently bought a i5 6600k CPU from SuperBiz and I am looking to overclock. I am fully new to overclock and I don't trust my self so how do I get this plan? 

Thanks. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Hello.

I recently bought a i5 6600k CPU from SuperBiz and I am looking to overclock. I am fully new to overclock and I don't trust my self so how do I get this plan? 

Thanks. 

Don't. That plan is only for people that are going to be doing extreme overclocking, not for a guy that's new at it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Don't. That plan is only for people that are going to be doing extreme overclocking, not for a guy that's new at it.

I believe I am going to mess up badly. I need this just to be sure. I am going to 4.6GHz. 

3 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Hello.

Thanks. 

Listen to @Imakuni. Intel has a very good track record for honoring warranty even during botched overclocks. As long as you do not go completely out of control with it, and stay within safe voltages (under 1.4V on Skylake is ideal, especially if you intend to use air coolers and not delid), you should be fine.

Just now, CmzPlusHardware said:

I believe I am going to mess up badly. I need this just to be sure. I am going to 4.6GHz. 

Don't go into this thinking you are guaranteed to get a specific clock speed. Even if hundreds of other people were able to hit it, it does not mean you will be able to. Take whatever you can get within safe voltage limitations. You will certainly fail if you try to force your CPU to do what it simply is not capable of doing. The binning game is real. You might get a CPU that is a bad overclocker, but has an amazing IMC, or vice versa. Take whatever you can get. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Sigh... you sure are new at OCing, aren't you?

For starters, don't say "I'm going for 4.6". That's not how it works. You are going to whatever your chip feels like, whether you find this good or not. Mine, for example, stopped at 4.3ghz; imagine if I was aiming for 4.6, I would have been heartcrushed and would start calling intel shjt and teh ragez and sdfhasdfgasbasgoasb.... think of it as "allright, let me see how far I can push this" rather than "I wanna get to this point".

About the OC plan, don't worry. If you follow good advice rather than Yolo OCing, you will not mess up. And even if you do go yolo, chances of messing up are still pretty low. There's a reason why I'm telling you not to buy the intel plan. You don't need it. Trust me.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Lets say it this way. They make money from that. You are losing money from the plan. If you kill it(very unlikey), buy a new one.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Lets say it this way. They make money from that. You are losing money from the plan. If you kill it(very unlikey), buy a new one.

Thats just it. I don't have the money to buy a new one xD. I just bought a $1700 laptop, $300 Phone, $150 Watch, $1300 Desktop xD. 

Thats just it. I don't have the money to buy a new one xD. I just bought a $1700 laptop, $300 Phone, $150 Watch, $1300 Desktop xD. 

O>O

So.. much.. Silicon Goodness.

If you have fears about overclocking, then overclocking is not for you. I know it sounds mean to say it like that, but it is true. Practice on $50 G3258's or cheaper throw-away chips. If you are worried about destroying things, or voiding warranties, you are in the wrong hobby. Very rarely will CPU overclocking actually yield a substantial difference in gaming anyways, unless the CPU is the bottleneck already. On modern Intel CPU's, it seldom ever is (unless you are pairing it with a high end GPU setup, in which case, money is likely not an issue). 

Follow the advice of this thread, and you will be fine. If you still feel you need the plan, buy it. You seem dead-set against the advice that has been given to you thus far, which means you are likely going to ignore it anyways. Do whatever makes sense for you as a consumer. If you are fine with the extra $30 (give or take) cost of the plan, then buy it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

20 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

snip

You really don't need it man. It's meant for INSANE overclocking that'll fry the chip. 4.6 is a modest OC really. You don't need it. And Intel might even hold your warranty anyway.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Ok thanks. I am starting to feel comfortable on overclocking. I'm going to test a couple of settings now that I know the "known" limitations on overclocking the 6600k.