Water Waifu v2 (GTX 1080, Rigid Tubing)

Octavialicious
Just now, Octavialicious said:

Anything is quieter than those AiO units unless you seriously undervolt the pump. D15 is bad too...

It's sitting on my desk behind my monitors. I have incredibly sensitive hearing, but with that being said I can still give comparative opinions and compared to this BeQuiet is absolute shit. 

If someone offered me a powerhouse cooled by BeQuiet and a passive dumb iGPU build I'd easily take iGPU build. Nothing is worth dealing with those bequiet fans...

why do you think they are so bad? The pro 3 is insanely close to the D15 in temps, but more quiet, the D15 is taken as one of THE BEST air coolers... What air cooler do you like?

Well I also have incredibly sensitive hearing, so yeah we have something in common there :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

why do you think they are so bad? The pro 3 is insanely close to the D15 in temps, but more quiet, the D15 is taken as one of THE BEST air coolers... What air cooler do you like?

Well I also have incredibly sensitive hearing, so yeah we have something in common there :D 

People don't know silence, thats why D15 is popular (and NF-F12, 0 reasons to buy NF-F12) 

I don't like any air coolers, after a certain dB level air coolers become impossible to use. I've spent so much on passive coolers blah blah, you either have to buy stupidly low TDP parts (still wont work for extreme silence), turn up the fans and not get good acoustics, or have your shit all the time (been there, done that)

Essentially, after spending $600+ on fans and doing tons of research, the only fans I will EVER purchase again are NF-P12 and NF-S12A ULN. NF-P12 is one of the quietest fans ever when it's turned down to <500 RPM, and it only gives up 1 C to the NF-F12 (Which is a piece of crap and soooo loud)

The S12A-ULN is the probably the quietest fan on the market, and it is the only fan I use for airflow. Here is a good resource http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/fans-the-most-complete-and-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks As you see, P12 is god of silence + performance, and S12A-ULN is god of pure silence. I tried S12B, but it had issues when moving air vertically and the airflow in general was very poor

I was kinda bummed out, after spending so much on different fans I found this resource... But at least I can use it to confirm my results. The OP actually says his favorite fan is P12

btw sorry about my typing, I'm on a laptop because I can't bend my tubing and finish the build yet

If you want a breakdown of how I cool things and why the entire PC is quieter than a single be quiet fan whilst still having an OC'd i7 and 1080 without overheating, LMK :) 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1 minute ago, Octavialicious said:

People don't know silence, thats why D15 is popular (and NF-F12, 0 reasons to buy NF-F12) 

I don't like any air coolers, after a certain dB level air coolers become impossible to use. I've spent so much on passive coolers blah blah, you either have to buy stupidly low TDP parts (still wont work for extreme silence), turn up the fans and not get good acoustics, or have your shit all the time (been there, done that)

Essentially, after spending $600+ on fans and doing tons of research, the only fans I will EVER purchase again are NF-P12 and NF-S12A ULN. NF-P12 is one of the quietest fans ever when it's turned down to <500 RPM, and it only gives up 1 C to the NF-F12 (Which is a piece of crap and soooo loud)

The S12A-ULN is the probably the quietest fan on the market, and it is the only fan I use for airflow. Here is a good resource http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/fans-the-most-complete-and-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks As you see, P12 is god of silence + performance, and S12A-ULN is god of pure silence. I tried S12B, but it had issues when moving air vertically and the airflow in general was very poor

I was kinda bummed out, after spending so much on different fans I found this resource... But at least I can use it to confirm my results. The OP actually says his favorite fan is P12

So you are worse than Linus when it comes to PC noise?

Right now my desktop is about 27dB, I am 50-60 cm away from it and there is a little background noise around me, because I don't live on a farm 40km away from everything and I live with my parrents so there will always be a little background noise and even with my insane hearing that Aarhus university hospital can testyfi that I have, I have a really really hard time hearing it, I have to focus on it and when I put my K612 on my head with no sound it becomes even harder.

The problem for me with watercooling is the price and space, in my next case I can fit a slim 240mm and a normal 120mm in it, that is it. That would be enough for two 1080ti or new fury when they come out and a 6850k, if I had the fans running at 1200 RPM or so, but everything watercooled would easily be $1.2k.

Sure on air the 6850k might run at 65c when I have 100% load on 3-4 cores and the GPUs will most likely be in the high 70s low/mid 80s under load

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

So you are worse than Linus when it comes to PC noise?

Right now my desktop is about 27dB, I am 50-60 cm away from it and there is a little background noise around me, because I don't live on a farm 40km away from everything and I live with my parrents so there will always be a little background noise and even with my insane hearing that Aarhus university hospital can testyfi that I have, I have a really really hard time hearing it, I have to focus on it and when I put my K612 on my head with no sound it becomes even harder.

The problem for me with watercooling is the price and space, in my next case I can fit a slim 240mm and a normal 120mm in it, that is it. That would be enough for two 1080ti or new fury when they come out and a 6850k, if I had the fans running at 1200 RPM or so, but everything watercooled would easily be $1.2k.

Sure on air the 6850k might run at 65c when I have 100% load on 3-4 cores and the GPUs will most likely be in the high 70s low/mid 80s under load

Oh, easily. He likes NF-F12, I could never and would never... Noctua should be ashamed.

The one thing is watercooling start up is expensive, but after the initial investment it's not too bad (you just have to buy new GPU blocks time to time tbh)

1200 RPM would be really loud tbh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

4 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Oh, easily. He likes NF-F12, I could never and would never... Noctua should be ashamed.

The one thing is watercooling start up is expensive, but after the initial investment it's not too bad (you just have to buy new GPU blocks time to time tbh)

1200 RPM would be really loud tbh

at 1200 RPM they are 20 dB and normally I sit 1 meter away from it, so if I get that into my formula I would guess about 5-6dB... Kek waterblocks are easily 180$ each here in Denmark, I wish that I was joking.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

at 1200 RPM they are 20 dB and normally I sit 1 meter away from it, so if I get that into my formula I would guess about 5-6dB... Kek waterblocks are easily 180$ each here in Denmark, I wish that I was joking.

I am guessing right now because I don't have it open right now and it is on my laptop.

oh yeah and thanks for the link :D 

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Where the crap do you buy your wc parts? Ek Gpu blocks are more like 135 and CPU blocks typically less than 100. Excl.  Shipping. 

@Octavialicious very interesting read that fan stuff...  Something to remember for next time. Would be pretty neat to compared those NF-P12s to my current mix of fans. 

12 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Where the crap do you buy your wc parts? Ek Gpu blocks are more like 135 and CPU blocks typically less than 100. Excl.  Shipping. 

Um I don't live in the US. I live in Denmark and everything is more expensive here so yeah there is that.

Just now, NoobCase said:

Dude ..   So do I...  Those are dk pricing ;) coolerkit.dk...  And they are not even particularly cheap. 

I did not say every single one of them are, I just said that you easily end up paying that, depending on the card and looks ofc

10 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I did not say every single one of them are, I just said that you easily end up paying that, depending on the card and looks ofc

If you get the back plates as well yes..  But i en actually never seen any blocks at that price.  Not that doesn't make it so ;)

12 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

If you get the back plates as well yes..  But i en actually never seen any blocks at that price.  Not that doesn't make it so ;)

I have seen some at komplett for some AMD card a while back they were about 180$..

i mean... my fans (noctua and silverstone) are at 300 -600 rpm... never goes over 500 underload... i can only hear the air sound going through my case/fins

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

7 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

i mean... my fans (noctua and silverstone) are at 300 -600 rpm... never goes over 500 underload... i can only hear the air sound going through my case/fins

Are you using PWM? If so, I wouldn't trust that reading

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:38 AM, refinedskillz said:

Whats the difference say between an i7-5775 and an i7- 5775C?

The 5775C includes Iris Pro Graphics 6200 with 128MB 100Gb/s eDRAM.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I have seen some at komplett for some AMD card a while back they were about 180$..

Rgr that. They only seem to stock EK GPU blocks now. Most expensive is 135 excl. shipping. 

Anyways this is going pretty off topic for a build log. Sorry about that @Octavialicious:)

If not the pwm reading what would be the most reliable way of monitoring fan RPMs. The 3 pins use the tachymetric signal same as the pwms.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The 5775C includes Iris Pro Graphics 6200 with 128MB 100Gb/s eDRAM.

Oh wow.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

3 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Are you using PWM? If so, I wouldn't trust that reading

yes.... 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 minute ago, refinedskillz said:

Oh wow.

Yeah. It is great. Unfortunately Intel decided not to do that with Skylake and so there's no desktop SKU with Iris Pro Graphics.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah. It is great. Unfortunately Intel decided not to do that with Skylake and so there's no desktop SKU with Iris Pro Graphics.

Rip.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

3 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

yes.... 

yup, I never trust PWM. It's the ultimate liar, and sometimes it won't listen to you. I only use manual fan controllers that don't care about anything and won't change. If you set the knob to a certain setting, it's not going to change. It doesn't have the ability too nor does it care what temp the CPU is at lmao

Just now, Octavialicious said:

yup, I never trust PWM. It's the ultimate liar, and sometimes it won't listen to you. I only use manual fan controllers that don't care about anything and won't change. If you set the knob to a certain setting, it's not going to change. It doesn't have the ability too nor does it care what temp the CPU is at lmao

well I assure you they are running very low rpm, with solid load temps, with that said, the air penatrators + HDDs are the loudest things in my system.

What ever happened to your dual CPU build? 

Resist!

1 minute ago, Octavialicious said:

How's the turbo clocks on the CPU? I heard that i7s with the Iris Pro turbo clock like a beast.

4 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

well I assure you they are running very low rpm, with solid load temps, with that said, the air penatrators + HDDs are the loudest things in my system.

What ever happened to your dual CPU build? 

I promise you that you can not handle a 4.8 GHz 4790K if the fans on your CPU cooler were at 400 RPM. My D15 would overheat a 4590S with a D15 at around those same fan speeds, and it has a TDP of 65W. The i7 @4.8Ghz is easily triple that if not more

To get the desire level of silence I wanted, air cooling would simply not work on the dual CPU build. I would do water cooling like I have now, but those motherboards had weird mounting so finding cpu blocks were difficult. Not to mention 2x 130W TDP chips isn't that fun either