Idiotic Forum rules...

RazerFX
Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

same but i guess each forum is different. i know overclock.net and toms hardware don't care too much about linking parts and stuff. 

And this forum is more secure, and I like that. The mods here care about the people.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

And this forum is more secure, and I like that. The mods here care about the people.

yes but most the userbase here knows new stuff not exactly the tinker type here much. i know there are some (not saying there are none) but other forums like toms hardware and overclock.net are full of tinkers. which is what i like. though personally i have an account on many different forums to be able to interact with different groups of people. just i like the tinker type of people personally. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

If these kids are building computers on their own at this point I think they have a high enough I.Q. to avoid ebay scams.

Intelligence doesn't make up for life experience.  Some people have to get scammed before they develop protective measures to avoid it.

hell last time i posted a how much is this my old pc worth i was shocked when i saw more than 90% of people say a x5460 at 4.0GHz with a high end P45 board is useless and a potato... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Exactly, self advertising.

I'm not even saying for self advertising, I'm saying for things like build logs and approval for parts, and for the person who said they where easy to scam when they where 13 years old is pretty damn stupid. I recentlly turned 15, I bought my two i7 3960Xs when I was 13. I did a load of legit checks; I back traced the image from the ebay listing to see if it was found on google images, I skyped the seller to make sure it was legit, and I had him take a video of himself installing the hardware and running it in his rig. There are very simple legit checks you can do, if the seller is not willing to provide an "irl" picture of the product and is not willing to get into a skype call with you, there's a good chance its a scam. Its simple.

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

yes but most the userbase here knows new stuff not exactly the tinker type here much. i know there are some (not saying there are none) but other forums like toms hardware and overclock.net are full of tinkers. which is what i like. though personally i have an account on many different forums to be able to interact with different groups of people. just i like the tinker type of people personally. 

Yeah, browsing this forum has become my passtime over the last few days, and you notice much more "help me build my pc" or "i have £500 what pc should i build". I expected to see things like coding or modifying devices to come up more often, because I find dealing with those problems much more fun.

7 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

I have seen a lot of posts in my 3 days of being on these forums that were like "check out my new youtube channel". The no external youtube rule is to stop people from exploiting these forums to get more views or subscribers, or even more money.

What is the problem with linking your channel? I doubt you would be getting subscribers from Linus considering he has almost 3 million subscribers and a simple forums post unless it exposes him for something bad and provides proof won't change that. Linus is not DramaAlert he is a helpful person... And people on this forums should be able to help as well excluding providing good "sausage flicking material"-Luke 

Just now, RazerFX said:

What is the problem with linking your channel? I doubt you would be getting subscribers from Linus considering he has almost 3 million subscribers and a simple forums post unless it exposes him for something bad and provides proof won't change that. Linus is not DramaAlert he is a helpful person... And people on this forums should be able to help as well excluding providing good "sausage flicking material"-Luke 

A youtube channel or link could be a misleading troll / scam. All of the rules are for the security of people on the forums.

One thing I find funny is that I put my 100% positive feedback on EBay at the end of my CV under other skills / interests, and 3 employment advisers dont think that this is relevant.

Anybody who uses eBay should know how relevant having 100% positive feedback is, and especially so for any retail or customer service jobs. I pretty my ignored them on that and said, well it does no harm being mentioned and is a good thing to add.

Also one advisor had no idea what it meant that I had put down one of my hobbies as 'Making YouTube videos with a YouTube partnership awarded'. People out there in the real world are so unsavvy it hurts to know that they are employed while I'm not.

Meh, I get enough free money to not really have to worry about it, and already got a reemployment offer and unbelievable praise from the first company Id worked at after over 8 years unemployed. Now all I really need and can do is temporary work for them every Christmas to afford my PC upgrades.

Linus is my fetish.

This applies to shoes but the first tip can be applied to computer hardware... Not a troll or a scam just watch the first 2 minutes of the video and learn some simple ebay legit checks since linus media group seems to be unaware to the several ways users can ensure quality in used products and how to check for scammers. (first link was wrong)

14 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

I have seen a lot of posts in my 3 days of being on these forums that were like "check out my new youtube channel". The no external youtube rule is to stop people from exploiting these forums to get more views or subscribers, or even more money.

And still there are video links allowed. That part of rule isn't so tense at it would seem. Its just to rule out obvious self-advertising and promoting/begging/etc.

5 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

What is the problem with linking your channel? I doubt you would be getting subscribers from Linus considering he has almost 3 million subscribers and a simple forums post unless it exposes him for something bad and provides proof won't change that.

Think of it another way. If you'd have shop somewhere, would you allow anyone to come and give out fliers or loudly advertise their own shop while you are trying to make money? LMG is in business of video making. Its their right to disallow anyone from trying to compete on their platform. That rule has been extended to cover other advertising too since that kind of things usually annoy people. I can see that you are not among them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

I'm not even saying for self advertising, I'm saying for things like build logs and approval for parts, and for the person who said they where easy to scam when they where 13 years old is pretty damn stupid. I recentlly turned 15, I bought my two i7 3960Xs when I was 13. I did a load of legit checks; I back traced the image from the ebay listing to see if it was found on google images, I skyped the seller to make sure it was legit, and I had him take a video of himself installing the hardware and running it in his rig. There are very simple legit checks you can do, if the seller is not willing to provide an "irl" picture of the product and is not willing to get into a skype call with you, there's a good chance its a scam. Its simple.

Not everyone is like you, and a high I.Q. does not necessarily mean a person is not naive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

Is linus selling computer hardware? NOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE THE I.Q. OF A 6 YEAR OLD I SWEAR!

Because screaming and belittling other users who disagree with your opinion makes you more intelligent than them.

The purpose is to have a secure friendly environment for users.  While most ebay links wouldn't be malicious there are a few that would be.  Your saying use them for a build log.  Well, ebay links are temporary as sales are only up for a short time anyway.  So why not in your log just name your part, say purchased from ebay and list the price?  Accomplishes the same thing without the need for an extra click/link anyway.

Just now, Ganz said:

Because screaming and belittling other users who disagree with your opinion makes you more intelligent than them.

The purpose is to have a secure friendly environment for users.  While most ebay links wouldn't be malicious there are a few that would be.  Your saying use them for a build log.  Well, ebay links are temporary as sales are only up for a short time anyway.  So why not in your log just name your part, say purchased from ebay and list the price?  Accomplishes the same thing without the need for an extra click/link anyway.

There are still some very good legit ebay deals. I purchased a GTX 980 in october of 2015 for $250 off ebay and another for $300 as an upgrade from my R9 390.

Just now, RazerFX said:

There are still some very good legit ebay deals. I purchased a GTX 980 in october of 2015 for $250 off ebay and another for $300 as an upgrade from my R9 390.

No where in my post did I say ebay didn't have good deals or that all were malicious. I said your example for good use would be a build log.  What happens when that ebay link expires and someone is reading your build log a month down the road? 

2 minutes ago, Ganz said:

No where in my post did I say ebay didn't have good deals or that all were malicious. I said your example for good use would be a build log.  What happens when that ebay link expires and someone is reading your build log a month down the road? 

Its a suggestion. Looking for parts on ebay is contagious, I never thought of it until a friend of mine on reddit sent me a link to a used reference gtx 970 that he had purchased for only $150 because it was "not working" yet he repaired with simple methods that took him no more than 15 minutes.

Just now, RazerFX said:

Its a suggestion. Looking for parts on ebay is contagious, I never thought of it until a friend of mine on reddit sent me a link to a used reference gtx 970 that he had purchased for only $150 because it was "not working" yet he repaired with simple methods that took him no more than 15 minutes.

Ok, so when given reasons as to why the suggestion is already not in happening and why it won't happen, don't yell at belittle other members because it certainly does not help your cause.

Just now, airdeano said:

stay on topic or thread will be locked down..

I was giving an analogy you even went as far as to give me a warning for absolutely no reason. I'm requesting for the help of higher up staff please kindly leave my thread.

3 hours ago, RazerFX said:

I was giving an analogy you even went as far as to give me a warning for absolutely no reason. I'm requesting for the help of higher up staff please kindly leave my thread.

What is this issue? As far as I can see our staff have explained why the rules exist quite clearly - what is it that you do not understand?

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

What is this issue? As far as I can see our staff have explained why the rules exist quite clearly - what is it that you do not understand?

Why you need to ban ebay links. It's stupid, sometimes people want advice on PC Parts and I can only link New Options without being punished when some people looking for a pc at a lower budget may not be able to afford brand new hardware all the time. Who are you exactly, have you appeared on the LMG channel?

45 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

Why you need to ban ebay links. It's stupid, sometimes people want advice on PC Parts and I can only link New Options without being punished when some people looking for a pc at a lower budget may not be able to afford brand new hardware all the time. Who are you exactly, have you appeared on the LMG channel?

eBay links are not allowed on this site for two reasons - for the hot deals section, we don't want it to become an area simply for posting eBay/Gumtree/Craigslist ad's as there can certainly be scammers. The idea of a pinned thread outlining trusted sellers has been floated however it would be too much work to maintain said list and there would be a grey line on where the concept of a 'trusted' seller would lie.

The primary reason for not permitting them though is to prevent spam through advertising. 

If if people want to sell their items, we do have a regularly viewed buying, selling and trading section of the boards.

As for who I am - I'm one of the senior administrators for the forum responsible for handling major operations on a customer service basis such as complaints against staff, recruitment and training of staff, issues with billing and more. I am also involved with the technical running of the website with relation to hosting of services though less so now in comparison to when I used to host the site directly. I am not a direct employee of Linus Media Group but have also worked alongside them for technical production of the WAN Show and other live streaming events. 

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

eBay links are not allowed on this site for two reasons - for the hot deals section, we don't want it to become an area simply for posting eBay/Gumtree/Craigslist ad's as there can certainly be scammers. The idea of a pinned thread outlining trusted sellers has been floated however it would be too much work to maintain said list and there would be a grey line on where the concept of a 'trusted' seller would lie.

The primary reason for not permitting them though is to prevent spam through advertising. 

If if people want to sell their items, we do have a regularly viewed buying, selling and trading section of the boards.

As for who I am - I'm one of the senior administrators for the forum responsible for handling major operations on a customer service basis such as complaints against staff, recruitment and training of staff, issues with billing and more. I am also involved with the technical running of the website with relation to hosting of services though less so now in comparison to when I used to host the site directly. I am not a direct employee of Linus Media Group but have also worked alongside them for technical production of the WAN Show and other live streaming events. 

Then maybe the rule should only apply to the hot deals section rather than restricting the freedom of the entire forums.

3 minutes ago, RazerFX said:

Then maybe the rule should only apply to the hot deals section rather than restricting the freedom of the entire forums.

That still won't solve the other issue of spam and advertising - we do not permit advertising of any kind on the forums without prior written consent from an administrator or LMG employee. The exception being for YouTube/Twitch links on profile as mentioned in the Community Standards. 

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

That still won't solve the other issue of spam and advertising - we do not permit advertising of any kind on the forums without prior written consent from an administrator or LMG employee. The exception being for YouTube/Twitch links on profile as mentioned in the Community Standards. 

How is that advertising? There are many people looking for advice on used computer hardware and we should be able to share ebay links to those people. Please, present this to the other staff of LMG and see if they are willing to at least make a system for approving ebay links.