Good replacement for WRT54G

Fuzz_Ball

For starters, I had this router for years. About 8-10 years-ish and never had any issues with it. I get about 100-150mbs (i think, maybe more) from Comcast's modem itself(non-x1 modem). My desktop, which is connected to the router, can get up to 60mbs as a peek (via speed test). Is there any good replacement routers, for I put this old one to rest? Someone said the ASUS RT AC-66u, but some reviews says they had issues or it fried after a few months. I had a cheap netgear, but that ran on snails.

Fire Tail: CPU - Intel 7700k. MOBO - MSI M5 Gaming Z270

RAM - G.Skill RipJaws V 2x8GB (16GB). GPU - MSI 1070 Gaming X

Editing Rig: CPU - AMD Ryzen 3900x with NZTX Krackenx240. MOBO - MSI ACE MEG Z570

RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (16GBx2) 3200hz. GPU - MSI Gaming Trio 2070 Super

i had the asus RT AC-68U for a short while (unfortunately DOA's / bad luck claimed all the ones my local retailer had in stock, we have since figured out the issue, it's not something affecting all of them, everywhere) 

they're amazing routers, but they seem to be especially affected by a bad power grid. if you get one i'd suggest either a netfiltering UPS to go with it, or a different, more resilient power brick.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i had the asus RT AC-68U for a short while (unfortunately DOA's / bad luck claimed all the ones my local retailer had in stock, we have since figured out the issue, it's not something affecting all of them, everywhere) 

they're amazing routers, but they seem to be especially affected by a bad power grid. if you get one i'd suggest either a netfiltering UPS to go with it, or a different, more resilient power brick.

That is what I'm afraid of happening. How good are they for gaming?

Editing Rig: CPU - AMD Ryzen 3900x with NZTX Krackenx240. MOBO - MSI ACE MEG Z570

Just now, Fuzz_Ball said:

That is what I'm afraid of happening. How good are they for gaming?

no different than any other (modern) router.

my current solution is some stupidly expensive linksys router, with €20 TP-Link routers dotted here and there as access points, because i prefer to do things the wired way if they actually require speed :P

Just now, manikyath said:

no different than any other (modern) router.

my current solution is some stupidly expensive linksys router, with €20 TP-Link routers dotted here and there as access points, because i prefer to do things the wired way if they actually require speed :P

True, well I might look into ASUS router, until Linksys can make a strong router again. :P

Unless there are other brands that are tough

8 hours ago, Fuzz_Ball said:

True, well I might look into ASUS router, until Linksys can make a strong router again. :P

Unless there are other brands that are tough

I dont think Linksys will ever really make a come back. There are just too many brands to choose from. Which lowers profit margin. Ive heard good things about ASUS. My sister has the TP Link Archer C7, and its not a bad router. I would say make sure its an AC router. Just because your better off getting the latest standard. Well, semi the latest, 802.11 AD has officially been released but, not really worth upgrading to one of those routers. 

As far as gaming is concerned. WiFi is touchy at best. WiFi can do the job, just dont game professionally on it.  Which is why you use 5Ghz, because it has greater speeds and is more reliable. If your gaming wired, then any router should be able to handle the task. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Recently upgraded to this

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-MAX-STREAM-AC1900-MU-MIMO-EA7500/dp/B019WAQMVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469742588&sr=8-1&keywords=max+stream+ac1900

from a Motorola SBG6580 and could not be happier.  Dual band, fast, with a really nice interface.  All our gaming PCs are hardwired, so I can't say much about that, but we have two TV's using Amazon Fire sticks and they both work great in HD with no lag or connectivity issues (Fire Sticks support MiMo.)  Next purchase is going to be an external drive to plug into the router for file sharing.

Bang for the buck, TPlink Archer C7 or C9. There is also a "modern" version of the trusty old WRT54G - the WRT1900AC. If you want to get away from consumer gear, then you should look at Ubiquiti EdgeRouter + Unifi APs, or Mikrotik routers (I really really like the "hAP AC" as an AP, but it can easily function as a single router on its own as well).

I work for an ISP and we see pretty much every router brand and model under the sun - even stuff not available in the US/Europe because foreign students bring routers with them. Every brand has its good days and bad days in the factory (meaning about equal chance for a lemon), so pay attention to the warranties available on each model. The only routers I recommend you stay away from due to a technical reason, is Netgear WNR2000 (N300) - they have a really nasty STP bug that Netgear hasn't fixed in any of the 5 hardware revisions and numerous firmware updates.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

Bang for the buck, TPlink Archer C7 or C9. There is also a "modern" version of the trusty old WRT54G - the WRT1900AC. If you want to get away from consumer gear, then you should look at Ubiquiti EdgeRouter + Unifi APs, or Mikrotik routers (I really really like the "hAP AC" as an AP, but it can easily function as a single router on its own as well).

I work for an ISP and we see pretty much every router brand and model under the sun - even stuff not available in the US/Europe because foreign students bring routers with them. Every brand has its good days and bad days in the factory (meaning about equal chance for a lemon), so pay attention to the warranties available on each model. The only routers I recommend you stay away from due to a technical reason, is Netgear WNR2000 (N300) - they have a really nasty STP bug that Netgear hasn't fixed in any of the 5 hardware revisions and numerous firmware updates.

Well, I kno that new Linksys is pricey. I do want to stay away from cheap routers and Netgear brand. I had some devices don't agree with Netgear anyways.