How Is it Switching from Nvidia to AMD?

My experience:

Clarity, sharpness and color reproduction - ATI

Up to date drivers, smoothness, overclockability - Nvidia

10 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My experience:

This is old school logic, especially since you just referenced ATI and not AMD.

These disparities just do not exist anymore, outside of overclockability, and that varies generation to generation.

ATI was king when it came to picture/image accuracy however, 10+ years ago.

Also, for everyone talking about PhysX, that just isn't even a selling point unless you actually play those games and care about it.

I personally couldn't justify buying an nvidia card for Physx, unless I played a ton of Borderlands and Batman.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

22 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My experience:

Yeah I have to agree with brother Jon here, this is outdated. I see no difference between my Radeon R9 390 and my GTX 980ti in how they display, none. And no difference between them for driver support. Both have good drivers and shit drivers. 

Radeon.

Better multi screen.

Freesync

price to performance.

Nvidia.

Better overclocking

graphics settings not available to Radeon

Top high end cards

Nether is better and going from one to the other is seamless. No worries. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

For some reason I managed to switch in an altering manner every gpu upgrade since my first computer: x600 -> 8600gts -> gtx 280 -> 5870m CF -> gtx 660 sli -> r9 280x -> gtx 970 -> r7 360. It doesn'T really matter nowaday, just get whatevr has the best perf/price ratio in your region and you are set. Personally I find the radeon crimson to be more user friendly and overall better solution than gf experience.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Both sides are pretty similar IMO.  it all comes down to the individual product otherwise. 

Of course some cards support some features or don't ( cuda,  shadowplay,  physx on Nvidia,  mantle, gpuopen, freesync and eyefinity on amd) 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Coming for my GTX560 to hd7970 i did notice a difference in overall picture and colour quality, it was definitely sharper and more vibrant on AMD, I always found textures on AMD look better too, Might be different now, but when i changed over it was noticeable

On AMD features, you can use the Rptr app to do something similar to shadow play, Never used it myself, i have used OBS to record gameplay and it works very well, obviously you can use it to stream at 60fps if you have the bandwidth.

Overall Crimson is good, lacks a few video features in the new UI, that they have spaghettied in using the old catalyst UI, other than that it works fine...The actual AMD drivers are very good, they stable 99.9% of the time...They bring improvements in performance over time as a bonus....

The AMD eco system is pretty good, they just need some super-duper 2016 style graphics card to go with it.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Also Nvidia has Gamestream and AMD doesn't have a competing product. Steam streaming can fix that though. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Jon Jon said:

This is old school logic, especially since you just referenced ATI and not AMD.

These disparities just do not exist anymore, outside of overclockability, and that varies generation to generation.

ATI was king when it came to picture/image accuracy however, 10+ years ago.

Also, for everyone talking about PhysX, that just isn't even a selling point unless you actually play those games and care about it.

I personally couldn't justify buying an nvidia card for Physx, unless I played a ton of Borderlands and Batman.

Physx was actually extremely popular back in the day before nvidia bought it. Once nvidia bought it, developers stopped using it as nvidia only makes about 22% of the gpu market, with amd having 18% and intel having 60%. Most graphics standards you will see will be the once supported by Intel igpu's and whichever dgpu company follows them will have the better turnout.

15 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Nvidia can do PhysX, AMD cannot. So games that likes PhysX will not be pretty anymore.

PhysX is dead. Don't mention that as an Nvidia-pro argument, because it basically does not exist anymore.

15 hours ago, Aytex said:

If your talking about drivers, AMD doesn't have shadowplay nor Ansel

AMD has another video encoder that has just as minimal impact on the CPU as shadowplay, the only difference is the interface.

15 hours ago, Squarq said:

What do you mean by feature sets?

Both companies are nearly identical feature-wise with some little differences. I've used Nvidia for many years and bought my first AMD GPU around september last year. No regrets, it's amazing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

19 hours ago, Aytex said:

If your talking about drivers, AMD doesn't have shadowplay nor Ansel

AMD has their own version of Shadow play and name 4 popular titles that have ansel

3 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

AMD has their own version of Shadow play and name 4 popular titles that have ansel

You might want to Google things before saying them. But start your search with Witcher. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

You might want to Google things before saying them. But start your search with Witcher. 

I said 4 popular titles, okay that's one. Name 3 more

Just now, The Elder Smurf said:

I said 4 popular titles, okay that's one. Name 3 more

What do I get for doing Googles job? I mean other than embarrassing you.

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

PhysX is dead. Don't mention that as an Nvidia-pro argument, because it basically does not exist anymore.

And yet the gpu I'm still using, is a AMD. So what pro Nvidia argument are you talking about? I also mentioned about Havok which is supported on AMD gpus. It's sad those who want both physics engines will need a modded driver for it to work, instead of working out of the box with official drivers. I want both physics engine to be available on my rig, so I can enjoy both of them. Not just one over the other.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

And yet the gpu I'm still using, is a AMD. So what pro Nvidia argument are you talking about? I also mentioned about Havok which is supported on AMD gpus. It's sad those who want both physics engines will need a modded driver for it to work, instead of working out of the box with official drivers. I want both physics engine to be available on my rig, so I can enjoy both of them. Not just one over the other.

Nah, I didn't mean that you're fanboying, I meant that PhysX support of Nvidia cards is not an argument for buying them, because PhysX is essentially dead and is not used, therefore it's not worth mentioning imho.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Nah, I didn't mean that you're fanboying, I meant that PhysX support of Nvidia cards is not an argument for buying them, because PhysX is essentially dead and is not used, therefore it's not worth mentioning imho.

There are just as many useless pro AMD arguments used as pro Nvidia. That's how flame wars start. 

20 hours ago, Squarq said:

How Is it Switching from Nvidia to AMD?

Okay, so I have recently begun thinking of switching from an Nvidia graphics card to an Amd one. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how it feels changing from Nvidia to Amd, such as certain things not working or working better than before. I'm not talking about specific graphics cards, but the experience of using an Amd gpu in general vs an Nvidia one. Thanks for you replies.

I went the other way around, few things that is better on AMD side for me was: 

1. VSR - DSR look crap, to be fair i've only tested it on 5 games so far but none give the same image quality as VSR.

2. Monitor OC + Custom resolution - I used to OC'ed my monitor to 75hz and have VSR enabled at the same time, can't do that with DSR.

3. Default HDMI output color range - It's on Limited Range by default with Nvidia driver, color/contrast look wash out because of this. I thought they fixed this 2 years ago.. apparently they didn't.

4. FluidMotion with BlueSky - No real replacement except using SVP/Dmitri render which use more power and slightly lower video quality.

5. Eyefinity - I won't be able to play Assetto Corsa with 2 monitors anymore.

I probably just haven't found the workaround for those "issues" so take it with grain of salt.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |