Learning Python - The advantages and uses

IndisciousWrath

Hey Guys,

so i'm still going 2 school and as everyone eventually i started thinking about my future and what i want 2 do and learn (i do have 3 years to decide what i want 2 do so i have plenty of time, thats why i thought it would be a good idea to start learning already and that's why i started learning python this summer vacation. Mr.Robot was also a great "inspiration" (great show btw. if you haven't seen it, what i highly doubt watch it now !) and that just strengthened my opinion on learning programming (I know i know, what i see in Mr.Robot is not diffrent from what awaits me (im living in Germany btw. so i dont know if the stuff you guys learn in the USA/GB or Canada etc. is any different or if it matters at all XD)

So let me get to the point

1.What exactly do i learn in those "schools" (i want to go to a University)

2.Was Python the right choice ? (i heard that it's a good language 2 learn and by learning it i can adapt to others etc.)

3.(what i can do as of now  is basically something like : ans=0       if x >=0:  while ans*ans <x:  ans=ans+1           if ans*ans !=x:         print (x) ...... else: ......... etc. that's my current level of understanding and im learning by watching MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming,Fall 2008 (i know it's kinda old)) so i am wondering what exactly can i do with Python ? Can i also implement it into idk creating an app or something or is python only for writing code ? ( i know that c# is good for app design etc. but my question is what can i do with Python)

sry for the long and messy post 9_9 but i hope some of you might be able to teach me one or two things.

I never went to a coding school. I started by buying a book to learn Python basics, by now a language that i am SO GLAD to leave behind, now that i have got used to c++.

I still think that Python is a good choice. Start by making your way through a book, than start dissecting code to figure out how code makes things happen.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

I never went to a coding school. I started by buying a book to learn Python basics, by now a language that i am SO GLAD to leave behind, now that i have got used to c++.

I still think that Python is a good choice. Start by making your way through a book, than start dissecting code to figure out how code makes things happen.

hmm okay, thx for answering i also do like c++ and c# (mainly cuz it looks cool or cooler  just sayin XD)

Just now, IndisciousWrath said:

hmm okay, thx for answering i also do like c++ and c# (mainly cuz it looks cool or cooler  just sayin XD)

Haha, saying that you know how to code C++ to beginner programmers is awesome, because they tend to see the language as some extremely advanced thing. Really, it's not that hard. Once you know what pointers are, and how to do basic input output and comparison its easy. Picking a language like Python or JavaScript to start is great because they are extremely forgiving, and people know that they are used with beginners so code tutorials are easier to understand for these higher level languages (higher level basically means easier).

Just wait until people see you writing kernels in assembly code.

Just now, spidsepttk said:

Haha, saying that you know how to code C++ to beginner programmers is awesome, because they tend to see the language as some extremely advanced thing. Really, it's not that hard. Once you know what pointers are, and how to do basic input output and comparison its easy. Picking a language like Python or JavaScript to start is great because they are extremely forgiving, and people know that they are used with beginners so code tutorials are easier to understand for these higher level languages (higher level basically means easier).

Just wait until people see you writing kernels in assembly code.

haha don't misunderstand me m8 i do like c# and c++ more but i don't know how to really code with it, well i did do some programms with the help of tutorials but i do like it tho ^^

haha don't misunderstand me m8 i do like c# and c++ more but i don't know how to really code with it, well i did do some programms with the help of tutorials but i do like it tho ^^

This website helped me out a lot when i was starting to code in c++

http://www.learncpp.com/

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Python is still a great programming language to learn and start out with, many colleges teach it for IT/CS programs. For app making you are looking at Java mainly.

hmm okay interesting, but what if i want 2 for ex. want 2 write a programm for idk windows (something like let's take Jdownloader for ex. it has good visuals and works) (kinda hard 2 explain i hope you get what i mean xD) basically what im trying 2 say is : does python support visuals at all ? or can i just simply copy a programm (or code) and paste it into c# for visuals 

hmm okay interesting, but what if i want 2 for ex. want 2 write a programm for idk windows (something like let's take Jdownloader for ex. it has good visuals and works) (kinda hard 2 explain i hope you get what i mean xD) basically what im trying 2 say is : does python support visuals at all ? or can i just simply copy a programm (or code) and paste it into c# for visuals 

I don't think you could just paste it into c# because of the syntax but you can definitely make games, take a look at PyGame

I can program in VB, C#, python and java and tbh python is a nice one if you have a good book.

It can be very frustrating at times because it has a stupid syntax but if you get used to it, it's not bad.

Just whatever you do, stay away from java, it's by far the worst of all of them, i absolutely hate it!

Love C# tho :D That one is quite nice.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I can program in VB, C#, python and java and tbh python is a nice one if you have a good book.

It can be very frustrating at times because it has a stupid syntax but if you get used to it, it's not bad.

Just whatever you do, stay away from java, it's by far the worst of all of them, i absolutely hate it!

Love C# tho :D That one is quite nice.

Well could you suggest a good book (consider that im not natively speaking english tho XD) but just gimme the "best" book you know for beginners

2 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I don't think you could just paste it into c# because of the syntax but you can definitely make games, take a look at PyGame

nkay, so it is indeed possible xD 

Well could you suggest a good book (consider that im not natively speaking english tho XD) but just gimme the "best" book you know for beginners

I learned it at school 4-5 months ago with a rpi, we got some examples and stuff and from that i learned the basics.

Never really used a book for it so i sadly can't suggest one :(

I must say it was quite awesome to see a small python script that i wrote myself for the first time causing some led's flash about.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I learned it at school 4-5 months ago with a rpi, we got some examples and stuff and from that i learned the basics.

Never really used a book for it so i sadly can't suggest one :(

I must say it was quite awesome to see a small python script that i wrote myself for the first time causing some led's flash about.

haha np m8 and that rly sounds cool xD

I work as a Python web developer. I do mostly web applications (Django, REST APIs), but also a bit of PyQt4 (desktop apps), as well as IoT/electronics. Python is pretty universal language, and if you want something more than syntax and basics (all those "lean 5 langs, C, C++ and what not) it's a good pick.

You can script some game engines too, but if you are more interested in mobile applications or top tier desktop apps/game engies then other platform/languages would be better.

1 minute ago, riklaunim said:

I work as a Python web developer. I do mostly web applications (Django, REST APIs), but also a bit of PyQt4 (desktop apps), as well as IoT/electronics. Python is pretty universal language, and if you want something more than syntax and basics (all those "lean 5 langs, C, C++ and what not) it's a good pick.

You can script some game engines too, but if you are more interested in mobile applications or top tier desktop apps/game engies then other platform/languages would be better.

Well i don't rly know what exactly i want 2 learn or do/write in the future and like i said i still have like 3 years to decide but what other languages would you recommend tho (for advanced or top tier desktop ...) ? and can't i learn them easier if i learn python first ? 

If you want iOS (or OS X too) then you have to pick Apple ecosystem (Metal, Obj-C and whatnot). Android - their Java and APIs. Windows "native" apps and what not are .NET which has easy scripting languages and the "default" C#. It's also the pick for some game engines like Unity. In general those aren't as easy as for example web development ;) There are also more "high level" cross platform (like Qt5) or platform specific solutions so it's all there to pick.

1 minute ago, riklaunim said:

If you want iOS (or OS X too) then you have to pick Apple ecosystem (Metal, Obj-C and whatnot). Android - their Java and APIs. Windows "native" apps and what not are .NET which has easy scripting languages and the "default" C#. It's also the pick for some game engines like Unity. In general those aren't as easy as for example web development ;) There are also more "high level" cross platform (like Qt5) or platform specific solutions so it's all there to pick.

sheesh i don't even understand what you're talking about xD well i guess i'll get to know those when i'm educated enough :D but thx for the info. tho ^^

Python does have a GUI kit built in, in python 2.xx you have to import Tkinter and in 3.xx you have to import tkinter, I know same thing but imported different. Also, you can run python programs on mac, I use a mac, and I use python programs. I think you'd have to recompile on windows, but I might be wrong. It might be like Java where you compile once and run anywhere.

Just now, jimistephen said:

Python does have a GUI kit built in, in python 2.xx you have to import Tkinter and in 3.xx you have to import tkinter, I know same thing but imported different. Also, you can run python programs on mac, I use a mac, and I use python programs. I think you'd have to recompile on windows, but I might be wrong. It might be like Java where you compile once and run anywhere.

hmmm okay, thx for the help ^^

3 minutes ago, IndisciousWrath said:

sheesh i don't even understand what you're talking about xD well i guess i'll get to know those when i'm educated enough :D but thx for the info. tho ^^

(metal is the is the framework for iOS and macOS that runs extremely close to the hardware. Objective-C is an objective oriented C language that Apple uses for their software, which is being phased out by Swift.

Just now, jimistephen said:

(metal is the is the framework for iOS and macOS that runs extremely close to the hardware. Objective-C is an objective oriented C language that Apple uses for their software, which is being phased out by Swift.

aaah okay thx m8 :D 

18 minutes ago, IndisciousWrath said:

1.What exactly do i learn in those "schools" (i want to go to a University)

Chances are if you're going to university you'll be doing something like Computer Science/Engineering. Check out the Open Source Society University to see what kind of courses you can do in a degree. At University, you'll learn how to program, and you'll learn some pretty useful/interesting stuff, but you won't really learn how to build software. Some universities may have some courses focused on building software and other industry skills, but it probably won't be the focus. Getting industry experience with internships can help fill in some of the gaps, and you can learn a lot on your own time.

15 minutes ago, IndisciousWrath said:

2.Was Python the right choice ? (i heard that it's a good language 2 learn and by learning it i can adapt to others etc.)

Python is perfectly fine to start with. It's probably one of the most common languages beginners start with so don't worry about it. You'll eventually learn more than one language anyway.

23 minutes ago, IndisciousWrath said:

3.(what i can do as of now  is basically something like : ans=0       if x >=0:  while ans*ans <x:  ans=ans+1           if ans*ans !=x:         print (x) ...... else: ......... etc. that's my current level of understanding and im learning by watching MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming,Fall 2008 (i know it's kinda old)) so i am wondering what exactly can i do with Python ? Can i also implement it into idk creating an app or something or is python only for writing code ? ( i know that c# is good for app design etc. but my question is what can i do with Python)

When starting out, regardless of the language, pretty much everyone starts off with command line applications. They might not seem super exciting, but they are useful and a great place to start learning. It keeps the applications simple so you can focus on learning the language syntax and basic programming principles. Check out the book Automate the Boring Stuff (it's online for free).

After that, decide what type of application you want to build. The type of application, desktop/web/mobile, will determine what new things you need to learn. Python can do it all, but so can many other languages, so you have plenty of choice.

4 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

Chances are if you're going to university you'll be doing something like Computer Science/Engineering. Check out the Open Source Society University to see what kind of courses you can do in a degree. At University, you'll learn how to program, and you'll learn some pretty useful/interesting stuff, but you won't really learn how to build software. Some universities may have some courses focused on building software and other industry skills, but it probably won't be the focus. Getting industry experience with internships can help fill in some of the gaps, and you can learn a lot on your own time.

Python is perfectly fine to start with. It's probably one of the most common languages beginners start with so don't worry about it. You'll eventually learn more than one language anyway.

When starting out, regardless of the language, pretty much everyone starts off with command line applications. They might not seem super exciting, but they are useful and a great place to start learning. It keeps the applications simple so you can focus on learning the language syntax and basic programming principles. Check out the book Automate the Boring Stuff (it's online for free).

After that, decide what type of application you want to build. The type of application, desktop/web/mobile, will determine what new things you need to learn. Python can do it all, but so can many other languages, so you have plenty of choice.

Holy shit m8 wow that's rly informative thx man :)