AMD Zen CPU'S

Do you believe that amd cpu's can hold up against the current Intel CPU'S? 

Depends on the price and performance. We'll know around December probably. If they can come out with an 8-core/16-thead CPU for the price of an i5 then Intel will be fucked.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It's impossible to tell because Intel still has a new CPU series coming some time late this year I think called Kaby lake which sounds like it will be around the time of Zen.

I might go Zen just because I'm fond of AMD in their practices and for aiming at more realistic price points even if their products aren't always as powerful performance.

8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Depends on the price and performance. We'll know around December probably. If they can come out with an 8-core/16-thead CPU for the price of an i5 then Intel will be fucked.

Pst, how many games use more than 4-8 threads?

Short answer, fuck all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Pst, how many games use more than 4-8 threads?

Short answer, fuck all.

Long Answer - almost every AAA game coming out in 2015/2016 - and DX12/Vulkan allow for an indefinite amount of cores to be used.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Long Answer - almost every AAA game coming out in 2015/2016 - and DX12/Vulkan allow for an indefinite amount of cores to be used.

4-8 threads. Again, fuck all. You also need to remember that there is a reason as to why CPU with 8 cores cost so much, and why AMd went with CMT in 2011-more cores=more expensive to produce, as in a lot more expensive. Which is where CMT and SMT comes in as you have more threads with less die space meaning that the CPU are cheaper to manufacture and more can be made from the same wafer.

PMSL

4-8 threads. Again, fuck all. You also need to remember that there is a reason as to why CPU with 8 cores cost so much, and why AMd went with CMT in 2011-more cores=more expensive to produce, as in a lot more expensive. Which is where CMT and SMT comes in as you have more threads with less die space meaning that the CPU are cheaper to manufacture and more can be made from the same wafer.

I still don't understand why you are speaking as if you already know the future. As I said before _ WAIT and we will see.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I still don't understand why you are speaking as if you already know the future. As I said before _ WAIT and we will see.

I'm just trying to stop people from hoping for 8 cores at a low price-because they will not be coming unless we get down to at least a cheap and high yield 10nm manufacturing process, with 7nm being more likely.

PMSL

I'm just trying to stop people from hoping for 8 cores at a low price-because they will not be coming unless we get down to at least a cheap and high yield 10nm manufacturing process, with 7nm being more likely.

People said the same before about quad-cores yet we got them quite quickly. Again, wait and don't tell people stuff based on your crystal ball.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

People said the same before about quad-cores yet we got them quite quickly. Again, wait and don't tell people stuff based on your crystal ball.

Look at the launch price of them-we were talking about 8 cores at the price of an i5, not a high end i7/Xeon. They were extremely expensive at the time compared to dual cores-and were in fact just 2x dual core die in the same package.

PMSL

Honestly if the zen cpus have an ipc similar to that of sandy/ivy bridge and they release an 8 core processor similar in price to an i5 (which is what is probably gonna happen imo) that would be pretty damn good value.

46 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Look at the launch price of them-we were talking about 8 cores at the price of an i5, not a high end i7/Xeon. They were extremely expensive at the time compared to dual cores-and were in fact just 2x dual core die in the same package.

I'd say that the 8 core with 16 threads will be priced a little under 6700K. I've read new info about Zen's IPC and it looks like it might match broadwell. Although these might be just rumours.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'd say that the 8 core with 16 threads will be priced a little under 6700K. I've read new info about Zen's IPC and it looks like it might match broadwell. Although these might be just rumours.

Haswell at best.

8 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Haswell at best.

Broadwell is not much better in IPC than Haswell, and considering that they stated they got better IPC than initially predicted, there might be something in it

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Im just going to wait and see if the new Zen processors can match at least haswell or broadwell from intel side. But, in my opinion i believe if amd puts the zen processors in a good value ( price to performance) they might have a chance against intel. Also the intel cpu's that are coming out this October i believe, are suppose to be for the 1080.

7 minutes ago, ItsDave said:

Im just going to wait and see if the new Zen processors can match at least haswell or broadwell from intel side. But, in my opinion i believe if amd puts the zen processors in a good value ( price to performance) they might have a chance against intel. Also the intel cpu's that are coming out this October i believe, are suppose to be for the 1080.

Nah, Kaby Lake is the usual 8-10% performance increase. Nothing to write home about. Cannon Lake is the good stuff but that's 2017/2018 IIRC

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

Yeah well thats of course not gonne happen.

The 8 core 16 Threads chip will be an enthusiast chip.

And it will most likely also cost enthusiast money.

For the rest, we dont realy know anything about it.

Just rumors based on nothing.

By the way, funny to read about some of the latest intel rumors.

Skylake-X and Kabylake-X on one single Socket 2066 platform.

If those rumors are true, then it looks like that intel is heading a similar direction as AMD with ZEN´s AM4 platform.

One single platform for everything.

Of course i take those rumors from intel with one big mountain of salt.

But still, its something interesting to follow.

Depends on price, but for some reason AMD is just usually just a tad late on everything, costing them market-share.   And best believe intel already has an idea of what they are up against and will respond accordingly.  We the consumers win, but AMD just can never catch a break.   Just like the 480,  if it was released months ago ahead of 1060 then that would have been ideal.  Every step forward they take, the competition is ready. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

42 minutes ago, Deedot78 said:

Depends on price, but for some reason AMD is just usually just a tad late on everything, costing them market-share.   And best believe intel already has an idea of what they are up against and will respond accordingly.  We the consumers win, but AMD just can never catch a break.   Just like the 480,  if it was released months ago ahead of 1060 then that would have been ideal.  Every step forward they take, the competition is ready. 

At least value is good. I mean, locally, the 1060 is priced higher than a 980 for some reason. And the 480 got sold out as soon as the 1060 price was announced