Core 2 Quad & Gaming

I currently have a core 2 Duo in my prebuilt PC and I just want to know if buying a Core 2 Quad Q8400 is going to make a noticeable difference in performance. I do know that it is only $20 on eBay but, I don't want to put money in a computer that is old if i can save for a better computer later on. and i was also thinking about the E.V.G.A GTX 960 SSC to toss into the same PC for now until I get to build my custom PC just as a place holder. I'm not sure as to what im getting at here but is any of this a good idea or even relevant anymore. 

Current specs!

Core 2 Quad CPU

6Gb ram

Nvidia nvs 290 GPU

1 minute ago, kindlestone said:

I currently have a core 2 Duo in my prebuilt PC and I just want to know if buying a Core 2 Quad Q8400 is going to make a noticeable difference in performance. I do know that it is only $20 on eBay but, I don't want to put money in a computer that is old if i can save for a better computer later on. and i was also thinking about the E.V.G.A GTX 960 SSC to toss into the same PC for now until I get to build my custom PC just as a place holder. I'm not sure as to what im getting at here but is any of this a good idea or even relevant anymore. 

Current specs of my PC should be down below!

Hi! A Q8400 is still a fine CPU for some gaming, and with some games tanking performance hard on logical cores, it may be worth your time.

That said a GTX 960 might not be a great value right now if it costs more than $140

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

save up and get a good pc, dont buy that cpu or gpu, especially if you have that GPU, bottleneck 

If it'll take you a while save up for a new rig, go for the 8400 or 6600 and overclock to prolong the PC for now if it'll only cost you 20 bucks.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Hi! A Q8400 is still a fine CPU for some gaming, and with some games tanking performance hard on logical cores, it may be worth your time.

That said a GTX 960 might not be a great value right now if it costs more than $140

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

save up and get a good pc, dont buy that cpu or gpu, especially if you have that GPU, bottleneck 

What is a good entry level GPU at least under or just over $200?

Just now, kindlestone said:

Probably a better idea to keep saving up until you can put a good system together for, say, $600

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

if i had a 290 i wouldn't touch a 960.

either way, you're way cpu bound. ( they r )

Looks like a prebuilt system, got a link to its manufacturer page, perhaps?

I'd get the Q8400, but I'd be a little worried about your PSU with a 960 on it. You've got a stock, presumably very old 375W PSU. The Q8400 has a TDP of 95W and the 960 SSC is, I believe, 120W. Factor in, say, 75W for everything else (I overestimate when calculating PSU load) and you're within the 100W margin of error that I don't like to touch. You might think about one of the low power GTX 950's instead. The 750 Ti is also an old reliable standby for low-power cards, but the 950 is better.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, LabRat said:

if i had a 290 i wouldn't touch a 960.

either way, you're way cpu bound. ( they r )

That's not an R9 290

It's a Quadro

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, kindlestone said:

750 TI but you need a better CPU to use any GPU really unless its like a 240 xD 

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I'd get the Q8400, but I'd be a little worried about your PSU with a 960 on it. You've got a stock, presumably very old 375W PSU. The Q8400 has a TDP of 95W and the 960 SSC is, I believe, 120W. Factor in, say, 75W for everything else (I overestimate when calculating PSU load) and you're within the 100W margin of error that I don't like to touch. You might think about one of the low power GTX 950's instead. The 750 Ti is also an old reliable standby for low-power cards, but the 950 is better.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/precision-t3400/pd ram is 6Gb now everything else is stock

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That's not an R9 290

It's a Quadro

yes its a Quadro

15 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Also I did take in account the PSU issue but i may be able to get my hands on a 500W PSU for free but it might be a bit dated but by getting a lower power card like the 750 ti or even the 950 assuming I get the Q8400 Core 2 Quad would I be able to record at at least 30fps not using a capture card? On decent settings in games.

16 minutes ago, kindlestone said:

yes its a Quadro

buy a q9300 they are cheaper and its a drop in upgrade, unless you want to buy an X5460 and modify the motherboard

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=q8400&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xq9300.TRS0&_nkw=q9300&_sacat=0

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, kindlestone said:

Also I did take in account the PSU issue but i may be able to get my hands on a 500W PSU for free but it might be a bit dated but by getting a lower power card like the 750 ti or even the 950 assuming I get the Q8400 Core 2 Quad would I be able to record at at least 30fps not using a capture card? On decent settings in games.

750ti is a great card to pair it with, one of my builds that im going to sell has an X5460 with a 750ti

and it runs any game out there on medium to high settings at 1080p and even better at 720p 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

750ti is a great card to pair it with, one of my builds that im going to sell has an X5460 with a 750ti

and it runs any game out there on medium to high settings at 1080p and even better at 720p 

8 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

buy a q9300 they are cheaper and its a drop in upgrade, unless you want to buy an X5460 and modify the motherboard

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=q8400&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xq9300.TRS0&_nkw=q9300&_sacat=0

Good point with the Q9300 but for the 750TI should I spend the extra $60 and get the 960 if i get a better PSU?

960:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SL2TQ2C/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

750TI:https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-750Ti-Graphics-02G-P4-3753-KR/dp/B00IDG3IDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469242567&sr=1-1&keywords=750ti

2 minutes ago, kindlestone said:

finding a used graphics card is cheaper. find a gtx 760 it has power of a 950 a great entry level card 

6 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

finding a used graphics card is cheaper. find a gtx 760 it has power of a 950 a great entry level card 

something like this but is it a better idea go get newer 960 with 2Gb vram or the similar performance on the 760 with 4Gb vram?

This is my lats question I will leave you alone after this!

For Reference:

760: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Super-Clocked-Graphics/dp/B00DHW4HXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469243020&sr=1-1&keywords=760

2 minutes ago, kindlestone said:

something like this but is it a better idea go get newer 960 with 2Gb vram or the similar performance on the 760 with 4Gb vram?

This is my lats question I will leave you alone after this!

For Reference:

760: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Super-Clocked-Graphics/dp/B00DHW4HXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469243020&sr=1-1&keywords=760

go on ebay you can find the 760s for cheaper there perhaps. max id pay for a 760 is $70 to $80 max as of now new 960s are not worth it anymore after the new card releases 

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

go on ebay you can find the 760s for cheaper there perhaps. max id pay for a 760 is $70 to $80 max as of now 

Ok Thanks!

will be fine for most games.

i was using a q6600 and 750ti until a few months ago

1 minute ago, Tylerr said:

will be fine for most games.

i was using a q6600 and 750ti until a few months ago

Did you sell your 750ti?

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

That's not an R9 290

It's a Quadro

missed that...... buy a 6950 or 6970. don't waste any more money on that platform.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:22 PM, kindlestone said:

Did you sell your 750ti?

na i'm still using it.

might buy a rx480 or 1060 whenever the aftermarket ones actually come out.