How does the LTT Community afford those sweet rigs?

ogretactics

Hey folks, what do you all do for a living to finance your awesome, expensive builds? And to finance the less important stuff in life, like food and shelter, I guess.

I'll kick things off. Right now I work in a deli to get me by while going to school for business. It's not glamorous, and it's about as far away from my interests as could be, but it pays the bills and affords me a meek amount of disposable income for things I enjoy on occasion.

I guess some of us have a job. The expensive things some people get isn't from that single paycheck. It's most likely money saved through out the months or years.

e.g. GTX 1080 $600

You allocated $100 of your earnings every month towards that card

It will take you 7 months to have enough money to buy it ($700 includes for tax and shipping)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, ogretactics said:

Hey folks, what do you all do for a living to finance your awesome, expensive builds? And to finance the less important stuff in life, like food and shelter, I guess.

I'll kick things off. Right now I work in a deli to get me by while going to school for business. It's not glamorous, and it's about as far away from my interests as could be, but it pays the bills and affords me a meek amount of disposable income for things I enjoy on occasion.

some people have jobs

some people dont, and cant afford it?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Food and shelter more important than PC? F... casual!

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

I guess some of us have a job. The expensive things some people get isn't from that single paycheck. It's most likely money saved through out the months or years.

e.g. GTX 1080 $600

You allocated $100 of your earnings every month towards that card

It will take you 7 months to have enough money to buy it ($700 includes for tax and shipping)

Haha, no I understand that. I was just wondering what professions people here had, I assumed not everyone had a job and not everyone bought EVERYTHING with one paycheck. Wasn't really going for a month by month breakdown of people's budgets. I guess there must be a lot of young kids on here.

Well right now I have no real way of funding the build I want to do. So it still remains a bit of a dream or in planning. But how I'll be funding it is with whatever job I get and saving up the checks (cheques) until I can afford whatever it is I'm trying to save up for.

Because I'm under 18 therefore still in school so food and shelter isn't a concern and I still have a couple years before I have to really figure out stuff as I will be starting my Junior year this coming school year. 

5 minutes ago, ogretactics said:

Haha, no I understand that. I was just wondering what professions people here had, I assumed not everyone had a job and not everyone bought EVERYTHING with one paycheck. Wasn't really going for a month by month breakdown of people's budgets. I guess there must be a lot of young kids on here.

Yeah I think largest age group on this forum is 13-19. So not really that young.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

6 minutes ago, ogretactics said:

Well that's how most companies hand out pay checks, either bi-weekly or monthly. As for what jobs others do here, that's not important. I won't be surprise someone here works as accountant.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I started my own company that I use for all of my "fun money". It pays for my car, my games, my PC parts, my Twitch subscriptions, my servers, and anything else I want (although I usually donate a good portion of it to streamers I like).

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, ogretactics said:

Buying used, saving up, gifts from family and working over the summer.

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I started my own company that I use for all of my "fun money". It pays for my car, my games, my PC parts, my Twitch subscriptions, my servers, and anything else I want (although I usually donate a good portion of it to streamers I like).

What does your company do?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

What does your company do?

Online services like web hosting, VPS hosting, online backups, etc...

-KuJoe

Right now I am a MDM analyst: basically people send me info and after validating it I load it to the dabatabase. Sounds simple but a common request means you deal with upwards of 20 different tables and hundreds of registers so you kinda need to have fairly advanced skills in Excel and Access to work out everything with macros.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Online services like web hosting, VPS hosting, online backups, etc...

That's very clever, as you can use the money from that to fund the expansion of the business quite easily.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

That's very clever, as you can use the money from that to fund the expansion of the business quite easily.

I get a set amount each month from the business, the rest goes into a bank account for the business that we use to pay for business expenses.

-KuJoe

Waterjet operator.  Can cut just about anything.  The things I can't cut, well they just react badly to being pierced with 60,000psi of water and garnet.

I'm a server and network technician, a freelance programmer, a musician and a payed intern at a lawfirm. 

While neither the internship nor the musican gig puts bread on the table, they are quite fun to do. 

I'm also married to a lovly woman that lets me mooche of her earnings.

Though, I also have to let her mooche off my earnings.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

5 hours ago, TopDollar said:

I'm an Enginere, Engenere, engeneer....I'm good at math.

As far as I'm concerned, you just won.

I have a job, and I know how to save money.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I have a job and basically spent 90% of my setup at once. Upgrade a couple things in the past 3 years. Food and water is definitely more important. I spend a lot of money on good food. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

My rig took 2 years of just buying parts and slowly upgrading. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14