How does AMD survived

zehao39

I have do some research few months ago on and. According yahoo fiance that AMD are losing millions of money every years in past 5 years. How do they lose so much money ? And how do they live with that?

Where did you see that?

they make money off selling GPUs and CPUs

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Where did you see that?

they make money off selling GPUs and CPUs

they still dont make a proftit though

1 minute ago, zehao39 said:

I have do some research few months ago on and. According yahoo fiance that AMD are losing millions of money every years in past 5 years. How do they lose so much money ? And how do they live with that?

you do realize they can take out loans and they had a billion or two in reserve(i'm not sure on this) and iirc they are projected to go bankrupt somewhere in 2018-2020 if they cant make a profit

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

2 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

They live with that shamefully. It's truly disheartening to see anyone lose millions of money. Millions of one singular money. Good job.

AMD lives because NVIDIA allows them to... If NVIDIA bought out AMD, NVIDIA would be a monoply on the GPU industry and would become government regulated.

Same thing with Apple/Android or Verizon/Other large Carriers

here is income statement for AMD in past few years. The number in buckets mean it is negative and all the number are in thousands

wp_ss_20160720_0002.png

Just now, Magikarpdrowned said:

They live with that shamefully. It's truly disheartening to see anyone lose millions of money. Millions of one singular money. Good job.

Anyways to answer your question they stay afloat because they hold a near monopoly on the low-price CPU market, and thy are pretty popular manufacturers of laptop processors and graphics devices.

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

AMD lives because NVIDIA allows them to... If NVIDIA bought out AMD, NVIDIA would be a monoply on the GPU industry and would become government regulated.

honestly if anything its intel that wants to keep them alive

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

2 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

They wouldn't become a monopoly in the GPU industry. They'd have close to a monopoly in the dedicated graphics card industry, but for GPUs, there's guys such as Qualcomm and Intel that move gigantic quantities of GPUs. Nvidia's market share in the mobile GPU industry is small in comparison to Qualcomm, for example. 

I just do not get how do they lose that mount of money. We are talk about thousands of million. If they are good at low end how do they lose that much?

Well honestly i just hope not because amd is actually the only company here u treats its users nicely, specially in the gpu market(nvidia's hidden fees)

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, zehao39 said:

I just do not get how do they lose that mount of money. We are talk about thousands of million. If they are good at low end how do they lose that much?

I grammar much million thousad

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

I guess with zen they could make money as long as it is decent

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

honestly if anything its intel that wants to keep them alive

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

They wouldn't become a monopoly in the GPU industry. They're have close to a monopoly in the dedicated graphics card industry, but for GPUs, there's guys such as Qualcomm and Intel that move gigantic quantities of GPUs. Nvidia's market share in the mobile GPU industry is small in comparison to Qualcomm, for example.

My point still stands, the largest comany's could easily destroy AMD at a moments notice. NVIDIA is holding back their technology and AMD is struggling to keep up. (Gaming performance wise).

In the CPU market yes.... Intel would be the competition. I actually forgot AMD made CPU's when i posted lol. But don't compare Intel Graphics to Nvidia in terms of gaming/workstations hahaha. Intel has the ability to create one but yeilds to in terms of price/performance ratio that is.

So are the CPU and gpu just sit in the warehouses and just can not sell? Or their income are much less than their R&D cost?

My point still stands, the largest comany's could easily destroy AMD at a moments notice. NVIDIA is holding back their technology and AMD is struggling to keep up. (Gaming performance wise).

In the CPU market yes.... Intel would be the competition. I actually forgot AMD made CPU's when i posted lol. But don't compare Intel Graphics to Nvidia in terms of gaming/workstations hahaha. Intel has the ability to create one but yeilds to in terms of price/performance ratio that is.

well if you think about it intel is doing something quite amazing in the gpu area, seeing as AMD and Nvidia have a huge amount of patents in the gpu area and their still able to compete with amd in the igpu division, if patents weren't a problem they could easily out develop both AMD and Nvidia probably even if AMD and Nvidia worked together

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

They wouldn't become a monopoly in the GPU industry. They'd have close to a monopoly in the dedicated graphics card industry, but for GPUs, there's guys such as Qualcomm and Intel that move gigantic quantities of GPUs. Nvidia's market share in the mobile GPU industry is small in comparison to Qualcomm, for example. 

gaming gpus.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Just now, themaniac said:

well if you think about it intel is doing something quite amazing in the gpu area, seeing as AMD and Nvidia have a huge amount of patents in the gpu area and their still able to compete with amd in the igpu division, if patents weren't a problem they could easily out develop both AMD and Nvidia probably even if AMD and Nvidia worked together

that is true. Intel is a much bigger company than NVIDIA in fiance point of veiw

5 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Intel creates igpus small enough to fit onto a CPU die that outperforms some dedicated graphics cards.

If you ask me, that's stupidly impressive.

Just now, zehao39 said:

that is true. Intel is a much bigger company than NVIDIA in fiance point of veiw

its less finance and more just engineering skill

Spoiler

Just now, SageOfSpice said:

Intel creates igpus small enough to fit onto a CPU die that outperforms some dedicated graphics cards.

If you ask me, that's stupidly impressive.

What iGPU is performing 750ti or higher? I mean I use a 970 that is over double the performance of a 750ti but still we have 1060/70/80's now... price to performance? Yeah, iGPU's are good but even then a 750ti is under $100 now and plays most games on medium-high.

6 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

gaming gpus.

That isn't a different industry just a specialty in the field of GPUs, since it's not like you can't game on an igpu it's just fairly weak

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

What iGPU is performing 750ti or higher? I mean I use a 970 that is over double the performance of a 750ti but still we have 1060/70/80's now... price to performance? Yeah, iGPU's are good but even then a 750ti is under $100 now and plays most games on medium-high.

well. The igpu are using ram as vram that could effect a lot. But I do agree that igpu is nothing

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

You can buy an i3 with an igpu for less than $100 if you want to talk value.