Funny Technology Mis-Understandings

Kidbest100

So the other day, I'm sitting in my chemistry 12 class, and my teacher who also teaches physics, and calculus and all that, starts going on about power consumption for stuff...

He tells the class about lightbulbs and their efficiency, and solar panels, and you know, the usual stuff.  Then he points at the desktop PC he has beside his desk, and goes to say that it consumes about 3-10 Watts.

My buddy and I laughed at that immediately, both being techies, and we explained to him how there is no way it consumes even as low as 10 watts.

I just found it funny that my Chemistry teacher, of all people, was the one that thought this, and tried to pass that misunderstanding to all of the class.

What are some stories that YOU guys have of these funny moments?

Lots of high school teachers that end up teaching multiple classes usually have no clue what they're teaching or talking about. They'll just follow a text book and talk nonsense.

If you read any thread about who is better AMD, Nvidia or Intel, you'll see there are lots of misunderstandings all around the place. :ph34r:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If the pc was in sleep mode it can consume under 10w, or turned of but plugged in

Not even haswell in sleep mode can do that, with just the CPU itself

Not even haswell in sleep mode can do that, with just the CPU itself

IIRC pcs can do that when in sleep mode or turned off, maybe not 3W bur 10 should be doable. I'm on my phone so I don't feel like searching for articles right now

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Maybe the desktop was secretly powered by a Raspberry Pi. :P

I thought in sleep mode the pc only consumed a few watts to keep the memory alive. everything else is turned off.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

APPLE COMPUTERS CAN NOT GET VIRUSES 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

It would be neat to only need a 10 watt PSU....and it would save electricity too!

A few years ago we had informatics at school, like the basic things from typing to making basic things with word. The teacher said this "so you have an operating system, now, the operating system you're using now is windows office."

I facedesked trough the desk, trough the floor, all the way to the basement of the school.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

A few years ago we had informatics at school, like the basic things from typing to making basic things with word. The teacher said this "so you have an operating system, now, the operating system you're using now is windows office."

I facedesked trough the desk, trough the floor, all the way to the basement of the school.

OMG that Teacher is soooo stoopid. Doesn't even no it's called MICROSOFT OFFICE xD #fail

/troll

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

My mom used to think I used Microsoft 7 and Windows Office....

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)