Why does Linus use Asus mobos?

The build guides on LinusTechTips almost always use Asus motherboards. They only seem to be in Intel sponsored builds. Does Intel have anything to do with them using Asus motherboards?

Because ASUS makes good motherboards and Linus likes them.

Probably.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

because thats what he has and they may be one of the sponsors of the build or video 

6 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

Maybe he thinks they look nice or perform well........... or he could just have a ton of them lying around.

Actually asus boards are highly overrated, and simply not as good as other manufacturers. Asus also spends faar more money on marketing and PR (instead on QC) than anyone else, which is the reason why it appears that all tech reviewers are using/preferring them.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

6 minutes ago, Astralify said:

Actually asus boards are highly overrated, and simply not as good as other manufacturers. Asus also spends faar more money on marketing and PR (instead on QC) than anyone else, which is the reason why it appears that all tech reviewers are using/preferring them.

Uh huh. Tell me how they are over rated? How are they not as good? So far this screams bullshit.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Uh huh. Tell me how they are over rated? How are they not as good? So far this screams bullshit.

Well I think their boards are great but their RMA service gives me cancer

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

They have there workstation boards and it fits there needs well and plus they just gave them it for there whole room water cooling build and they just kept the boards

Asus has a few standout boards that are kind of "Gold Standard" material.

Not saying all of them, but a few specific boards that have been tried and tested and proven to offer great features and excellent durability.

4 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Well as a start, they offer less features for higher price than other manufacturers, some of their implementations (like audio, vrm etc) are poor even on their expensive lines, as well as taking away things like sata ports to save money (but at the same time they put fancy heatsinks paintjobs and what not). And did I mention poor quality control? There a  more things, but as I've said, overrated and overpriced is the simplest description for asus. Anyway....

Because their boards work. Same reason why I have one. They work. Mine has yet to let me down. Their BIOS is like something from the future. The friendly GUI is extremely attractive. Not all Asus boards are good/okay though, this goes for all boards not just Asus (obviously). They do great work with picking the right board for the systems they are building. 

2 minutes ago, Astralify said:

Well as a start, they offer less features for higher price than other manufacturers, some of their implementations (like audio, vrm etc) are poor even on their expensive lines, as well as taking away things like sata ports to save money (but at the same time they put fancy heatsinks paintjobs and what not). And did I mention poor quality control? There a  more things, but as I've said, overrated and overpriced is the simplest description for asus. Anyway....

Lol what? I haven't seen this in the slightest.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Lol what? I haven't seen this in the slightest.

I speak from experience. And I'm not saying they are completely trash. There is nothing wrong in liking asus, it's just they are often not as good as the other manufacturers.

1 minute ago, Astralify said:

I speak from experience. And I'm not saying they are completely trash. There is nothing wrong in liking asus, it's just they are often not as good as the other manufacturers.

If I may ask, who do you consider to be a consistently great manufacturer?

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

If I may ask, who do you consider to be a consistently great manufacturer?

Nobody is great, but personally I am a gigabyte guy. I like their stability and durability, their VRMs and features. And no one beats asrock in featres-for-the-price.  I haven't had much experience with MSI, but that's because nobody imports them over here.

2 minutes ago, Astralify said:

Nobody is great, but personally I am a gigabyte guy. I like their stability and durability, their VRMs and features. And no one beats asrock in featres-for-the-price.  I haven't had much experience with MSI, but that's because nobody imports them over here.

Gigabyte is fair, I suppose. Typically their boards don't have the features of other manufacturers, but they are pretty reliable. Asrock seems pretty hit and miss as far as I can tell. They've got poor quality control, but if you get a board that works, then you're getting a pretty good deal. I'e also heard that their customer support isn't the best. MSI seems quite decent, much better than Gigabyte feature wise, but quite a bit more expensive.

23 minutes ago, Astralify said:

Hmm you make a couple of interesting claims.

Do you have any knowledge as far as VRM implementations are concerned?

And can you back up your claims about shit VRM implementations with some examples?

;)

7 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Hmm you make a couple of interesting claims.

Do you have any knowledge as far as VRM implementations are concerned?

And can you back up your claims about shit VRM implementations with some examples?

;)

Pst, the 3 phase VRM on my P5K VM could handle 140W......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Pst, the 3 phase VRM on my P5K VM could handle 140W......

Yeah well, i have looked at allot of motherboard VRM cirquitries for the last 4 years or so.

A bit from the X58 Era till now.

Thats why i´m currious. :D

But Asus boards nowdays X99 / Z170 are just good boards.

As well as their AM3+ boards.

Gigabyte´s new X99 refresh boards are also realy good.

X99 Ultra gaming, Poenix Sli and the Designare EX.

All these 3 new Gigabyte X99 boards have the same VRM implementations.

8 true phase fully digital implementation for VCC from IR.

And also a fully digital implementation from IR for Dram.

I'd say Linus uses Asus boards because they are high quality, reliable and just work. Imo you can't go wrong with Asus

I , and other family members have always used Asus boards and we have never had any Asus boards die on us. We still have an old P5qpl-am motherboard that has been operating pretty much non stop over the past 10 or so years and is still going strong, no errors, has survived through several builds where other components like ram and psu have died. That Asus board is pretty indestructible imo xD.

Maybe I've been extremely lucky, but until I have an Asus board die on me, I'll keep using them.

Just my two cents.

- Golfball_Pro

1 hour ago, Astralify said:

I call 100% BS since all my boards have been hyped to the proper levels.

To answer OP's question, it's probably because ASUS sponsors LMG, therefore LMG uses their boards. :)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, Golfball_Pro said:

I'd say Linus uses Asus boards because they are high quality, reliable and just work. Imo you can't go wrong with Asus

I , and other family members have always used Asus boards and we have never had any Asus boards die on us. We still have an old P5qpl-am motherboard that has been operating pretty much non stop over the past 10 or so years and is still going strong, no errors, has survived through several builds where other components like ram and psu have died. That Asus board is pretty indestructible imo xD.

Maybe I've been extremely lucky, but until I have an Asus board die on me, I'll keep using them.

Just my two cents.

- Golfball_Pro

You don't need to do the "- Golfball_Pro". We obviously know who it's from. Failed attempt of acting like a professional. 

2 hours ago, Astralify said:

History lesson. Both asus and gigabyte did a joint venture back then. Asus let gigabyte use their factory to make their boards.

And why most like asus has to go way back, to the P3 days.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list