Upgrading from my GTX 590

Will

I'm currently running a GTX 590 and a 2600k on a 1080p monitor and I'm looking to upgrade, so, I've got a few questions.

I haven't been gaming a lot recently and want to get back into it but with a much better visual experience.

I like the idea of a 27" 1440p G-sync monitor like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

Is a 1070 going to be a good choice to run this monitor?

Would my 2600k bottleneck it, and do you think now would be a good time to upgrade my whole system?

Thanks in advanced :)

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Would my 2600k bottleneck it, and do you think now would be a good time to upgrade my whole system?

WHile the 2600k isn't the latest and greatest, it can still hold it's own. I'd wait a little longer and see what Zen / Kaby Lake has to offer before you comit to a platform upgrade.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

14 minutes ago, Will said:

CPU is fine overall, but probably not for a 144hz display if you want to max it out

for just the price of the G-sync monitor you could get a free-sync equivalent with a 4GB RX 480

Otherwise, Fury X + free-sync is going to be a better value overall with the Fury X hovering around $400 on sale

the G-sync monitor is almost $200 more for basically no gain aside from a little bit higher refresh rate

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pwG4K8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pwG4K8/by_merchant/

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card  ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer XF270HU 27.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($529.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $929.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-17 01:15 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

11 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes it can easily handle 1440p as this card targeted for that resolution.

12 minutes ago, Will said:

I doubt it will bottleneck, as I refer http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html 2600k still placed on second tier.

I suggest that you shouldn't upgrade your CPU before Intel released their new generation. Just buy GTX1070 and save your money for a better CPU.
CMIWW

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Otherwise, Fury X + free-sync is going to be a better value overall with the Fury X hovering around $400 on sale

I'd be looking at over $800AUD for one of those here, but an RX480 is around $400, I would be saving around $500 on the monitor though o.O

So now it's really a question of:

Acer Predator XB270HU with a RX480 

-or-

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q with a 970

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Well you're pretty screwed then man.

ya free-sync should be cheaper in any case, and the 480 is fairly strong for 1440p gaming, you'd just need to drop the settings a bit to get the frame rate up.

Although some games like The Witcher 3 are locked to 60fps anyways

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

If I were you, I'll take Acer XB270HU, because ASUS PG279Q has 165Hz and that will be a waste of money as your GPU (480 or 970) will hardly be able to go around 160FPS for next-gen games, but if you want to play Dota2 or CS:GO or something like that, ASUS one will be worth to take, it has a better looking also, haha.

24 minutes ago, westport17 said:

If I were you, I'll take Acer XB270HU, because ASUS PG279Q has 165Hz and that will be a waste of money as your GPU (480 or 970) will hardly be able to go around 160FPS for next-gen games, but if you want to play Dota2 or CO:GO or something like that, ASUS one will be worth to take, it has a better looking also, haha.

Even with playing an esports game, 144hz vs 165hz isn't going to make any real difference at all, although the CPU will hold him back in Dota 2, it seems to be pretty CPU intensive

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, westport17 said:

If I were you, I'll take Acer XB270HU, because ASUS PG279Q has 165Hz and that will be a waste of money as your GPU (480 or 970) will hardly be able to go around 160FPS for next-gen games, but if you want to play Dota2 or CO:GO or something like that, ASUS one will be worth to take, it has a better looking also, haha.

Considering the $1000 price difference between the two combinations, I think it makes sense to go the AMD card and Acer monitor, I can always add a second 480 later too, and still be cheaper 

30 minutes ago, Will said:

Considering the $1000 price difference between the two combinations, I think it makes sense to go the AMD card and Acer monitor, I can always add a second 480 later too, and still be cheaper 

Have you considered a 144Hz 1080p monitor with a GTX 1070?

7 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Have you considered a 144Hz 1080p monitor with a GTX 1070?

Yes, I think it would be a bit of a waste, spending that much money, just for 1080p

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, I think it would be a bit of a waste, spending that much money, just for 1080p

1080p144 is actually very demanding, even for a 1070. I own a 980 ti (which marginally beats the 1070) has a hard time with better looking games.

That said I do achieve 144 usually, but that demands reduced settings.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Even with playing an esports game, 144hz vs 165hz isn't going to make any real difference at all, although the CPU will hold him back in Dota 2, it seems to be pretty CPU intensive

Really? even with 2600K? Because I can go up to 100FPS on Dota2 maxed out with Phenom II X4 955BE
Ah yeah normal human can't differentiate between 144 vs 165. Take 144Hz one OP, take 165Hz if you're inhuman :P

1 hour ago, Will said:

If you want to take 480, try to pick non-ref one, I see a big OC potential on third-party cards.

2600k is Sandy Bridge right?

That's not bottle necking anything.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

8 hours ago, westport17 said:

Because I can go up to 100FPS on Dota2 maxed out with Phenom II X4 955BE

I can barely hit that with an FX 8 core at 4.4ghz, the game uses 8 threads as well, just not very well

lots of people have a performance issue though seemingly, what else is in your system?

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=179042

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/low-dota-2-performance-hardware-utilization-with-fury-x-doom-on-high-over-100fps/104121/63

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Tom Hanks said:

2600k is Sandy Bridge right?

That's not bottle necking anything.

It will start bottlenecking in CPU intensive games nowadays.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

10 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I can barely hit that with an FX 8 core at 4.4ghz, the game uses 8 threads as well, just not very well

lots of people have a performance issue though seemingly, what else is in your system?

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=179042

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/low-dota-2-performance-hardware-utilization-with-fury-x-doom-on-high-over-100fps/104121/63

I forgot to mention that I set my CPU at 4GHz with HD 7790 at max GPU and memory clock.
I said up to, so that is the max FPS I can get. I usually got stable at 80FPS with GPU utilization below 80%.

Maybe we should wait for Vulkan to be fully supported on Dota2 to get 100FPS plus experience lol.

5 minutes ago, westport17 said:

I forgot to mention that I set my CPU at 4GHz with HD 7790 at max GPU and memory clock.
I said up to, so that is the max FPS I can get. I usually got stable at 80FPS with GPU utilization below 80%.

Maybe we should wait for Vulkan to be fully supported on Dota2 to get 100FPS plus experience lol.

On the tek syndicate website, Core 0 is being used more than the other cores, and Dota 2 doesn't push it to 100% utilization, it just needs to better support multi-threading, and fully utilize the CPU, well at least for anyone with an FX 8 core CPU

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

On the tek syndicate website, Core 0 is being used more than the other cores, and Dota 2 doesn't push it to 100% utilization, it just needs to better support multi-threading, and fully utilize the CPU, well at least for anyone with an FX 8 core CPU

Yep that's why use different API maybe the best choice, hope Dota with Vulkan can be like Doom with Vulkan, or better.