Netflix's maximum resolutions depedant on browser?

This has been the case since netflix came out. It was originally IE that did this exclusively.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Doesn't Netflix use Silverlight to work in browsers?  

If I was a tinfoil hat kind of person, I would think MS is screwing with silverlight in other browsers. 

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Wtf, I've been watching in 720p this whole time? I thought it was just the upscaling to 1440p that makes it look like dogshit on my monitor.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Does a User-agent changer fix this? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

58 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Does a User-agent changer fix this? 

It's not really a user-agent thing, but more of a browser capability thing. Chrome and Firefox not being able to leverage the system DRM causes it to only stream at up to 720p or 1750kbps. IE, Edge, Safari, Netflix apps on iOS, Windows, and certain Android devices are able to stream at up to 5800kbps. Yes, to add insult to injury, most Android devices are not capable of streaming Netflix in full HD. 

13 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Last I knew it was using Silverlight because I couldn't get Netflix to work on my linux laptop and I remember it saying it needed SIlverlight.

I could stream Netflix to Linux if using Google Chrome (installed from AUR), essentialy you need some proprietary part / 'DRM processor' for DRM to work.

To make Amazon Instant video work on Linux you were able to install Silverlight through Pipelight and then use Firefox after changing the User Agent (e.g. through Add-on) to hide from Amazon that you're using Firefox.

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

... The most logical reason I found was that it had to do with DRM and "OS integration" of the DRM. That would explain why Chrome when running ChromeOS supports 1080p streaming, but Chrome in Windows does not.

If that's true (which it seems to be) then there is no technical reason for IE/Edge supporting it but Chrome/Firefox not to. It's just Netflix being stupid and worried about piracy.

IE/Edge are still more integrated into the OS and therefore are able to receive more support / be able to use DRM modules that support more codecs / the setting that allows for 1080p.

Seems to me like wherever I tried streaming Netflix to I was able to receive 720p at max, if on Android, Windows or Linux although I had the subscription for "up to" 4K (although I didn't pay because I only used free trial periods) although I can't be sure because I didn't know how to find out at what resolution it streams at.

At the end your last point holds true. I wouldn't be worried about people copying the stream on their end, they can record it through screen-capture anyway, if they're going through the trouble of breaking the encrypted rtmp stream (or whatever standard they're using) they are able to pirate the movie in higher quality from somewhere else anyway. Probably it's the rights-holder companies that are laying all these restrictions on them anyway, using any other also secure/DRM-friendly just doesn't get accepted by the rights holder, because they want their content to only be distributed the way they want or cancel the license. Probably the reason Netflix focuses more on more original shows.

This is kinda screwed up, but then again it doesn't really matter for me since my ISP is Potato Link. And they really don't like 1080p streaming on anything.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs