PCPer Tests 3DMark Timespy: Pascal Does have Async Compute

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/3DMark-Time-Spy-Looking-DX12-Asynchronous-Compute-Performance

PCPer has published an article on the new 3DMark DX12 Time Spy Benchmark, and tested a number of graphic cards from both AMD and Nvidia. Based on the results, it confirms that Pascal does have support for Async Compute, unlike its predecessor Maxwell which clearly does not show any performance gains (ahem** still waiting for async compute driver).

While it is apparent that the FuryX is getting as much as twice the relative performance gain over Pascal with Async Compute enabled, This should at least confirm that Nvidia have (in part) successfully circumvented the need for power hungry componentry, while still achieving noteworthy gains in async compute performance, with the 1080 showing gains similar to the R9 Nano, and the 1070 just trailing the 480.

How this translates to real world performance mostly remains to be seen, as it depends on the actual adoption of the new API's, and competent implementation from developers. It should also be noted that large % gains with async compute should not necessarily be applauded, or compared between cards. As we can see just below, the 480 barely makes up any ground against the 1070 in this test. I personally feel perf/watt still remains the best metric in determining what approach is the best, and not just for environmental reasons.

Actual performance increase per Card (highest to lowest):

FuryX: 652 points 

Nano: 496 points 

GTX 1080: 471 points

RX 480: 335 points

GTX 1070: 305 points

1080 SLI: 164 points

GTX 970: ?

GTX 980: ?

timespy-3.png

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Maxwell technically does have support for async it just does it so poorly that there are almost no benefits and often reduces performance due to increased overhead. 

Thus the negligible performance change. 

I don't know if they tested a Hawaii gpu, but that is what I'd like to see in this. Remove some of those bottlenecks. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Maxwell technically does have support for async it just does it so poorly that there are almost no benefits and sometimes reduces performance due to increased overhead. 

I don't know if they tested a Hawaii gpu, but that is what I'd like to see in this. Remove some of those bottlenecks. 

While I do believe maxwell might have some sort of async compute, we've never seen it, cause it has never been enabled in drivers, nvidia said so. But if it does have it, it's probably broken to the point where it causes problems or reduces performance.

15 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Maxwell technically does have support for async it just does it so poorly that there are almost no benefits and sometimes reduces performance due to increased overhead. 

As far as I know the 980ti is the only maxwell gpu with async support of any kind, and it is limited to a queue of 16 instructions, which would be fine if dx12 and vulcan weren't based on mantel which expects more due to amd's architecture, but since it is nvidia has just disabled it up to this point (and likely forever)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

18 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

A 290X would be the perfect candidate to test :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

7 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

While I do believe maxwell might have some sort of async compute, we've never seen it, cause it has never been enabled in drivers, nvidia said so. But if it does have it, it's probably broken to the point where it causes problems or reduces performance.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

As far as I know the 980ti is the only maxwell gpu with async support of any kind, and it is limited to a queue of 16 instructions, which would be fine if dx12 and vulcan weren't based on mantel which expects more due to amd's architecture, but since it is nvidia has just disabled it up to this point (and likely forever)

It was initially enabled during the AoTS beta where it was tanking perf by a good 5-10%. Like I said, it supports it (it doesn't have the proper native hardware to benefit), but that doesn't mean it's a good feature to enable most of the time with Maxwell.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

For reference async compute is only useful in scenarios with numerous non-parallel calculations happening frequently or continously (such as ai in a rts game), in other scenarios it would be easier and more beneficial to simply optimize the game for cpu use than to implement the feature.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It was initially enabled during the AoTS beta where it was tanking perf by a good 5-10%. Like I said, it supports it (it doesn't have the proper native hardware to benefit), but that doesn't mean it's a good feature to enable most of the time with Maxwell.

Time Spy does NOT like 295x2

crashes my PC every time i try to run it...

25 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Maxwell technically does have support for async it just does it so poorly that there are almost no benefits and often reduces performance due to increased overhead. 

I know PCWorld is the best with their testing methodologies, but it's all I can find.

Spoiler

time spy resultstime spy results async disabledtime spy results async vs no

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

It doesn't like my 980ti SLI either...

I run the demo flawlessly, but then it hangs during the first graphics test... It doesn't crash the nvidia driver but it does bug my cards to pinned at top speed (i had to run another 3d application to get them to downclock.)

Seems like this program is still flaky. Also really pissed off that I own the advanced edition and they don't include the ability to turn of the f'n demo without an additional purchase.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I run the demo flawlessly, but then it hangs during the first graphics test... It doesn't crash the nvidia driver but it does bug my cards to pinned at top speed (i had to run another 3d application to get them to downclock.)

Seems like this program is still flaky. Also really pissed off that I own the advanced edition and they don't include the ability to turn of the f'n demo without an additional purchase.

yeah, Graphics test 1 hangs, then i have to hard reset the machine to get out of it.

14 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I know PCWorld is the best with their testing methodologies, but it's all I can find.

Hide contents

ok so looks like the hawaii cards do gain the most relatively speaking (even if both they and the fury cards gain about 600 points.)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Good to see Asynchronous Compute have a positive effect on nVidia Pascal GPU's. Free performance. Will be interesting to see if Volta has fully implemented ACE's.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

yeah, Graphics test 1 hangs, then i have to hard reset the machine to get out of it.

Sigh, I really wanted to see the difference between OC'd 980ti sli and stock 1080 sli... Looks like I'll have to wait a while.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

21 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

For reference async compute is only useful in scenarios with numerous non-parallel calculations happening frequently or continously (such as ai in a rts game), in other scenarios it would be easier and more beneficial to simply optimize the game for cpu use than to implement the feature.

ALL games could benefit from it. With all the other advancements we've had in games, AI is the most lacking, and sometimes it seems like they're getting even dumber. Most games just have AI that does very simple and scripted things. Who wouldn't want an unpredictable AI?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

25 minutes ago, Prysin said:

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Try turning off SLI/Crossfire so it can run in Multi GPU mode. as far as I know DX12 does not support SLI or Crossfire.

If Multi GPU works can it run a 980ti and Fury?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Try turning off SLI/Crossfire so it can run in Multi GPU mode. as far as I know DX12 does not support SLI or Crossfire.

If Multi GPU works can it run a 980ti and Fury?

disabling SLI only runs one card

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

disabling SLI only runs one card

so It doesn't support Multi GPU?

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Guru3D did a test

Shows 290X outperforming the RX 480 and matching the GTX 980

390X finally makes a clear distinction

It isn't surprising since 390x is just a rebrand and the 480 rivals a 390 non x.

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

so It doesn't support Multi GPU?

doesn't appear to , at least not on my system .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

15 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

ALL games could benefit from it. With all the other advancements we've had in games, AI is the most lacking, and sometimes it seems like they're getting even dumber. Most games just have AI that does very simple and scripted things. Who wouldn't want an unpredictable AI?

The quality isn't the issue being addressed by async it's the quantity more than anything (hordes of independent moving enemies), but I agree adding more complex ai to games in general would be nice but that is for the most part a separate issue (it does take less complex AIs to make it beneficial than dopey ones I'll admit but async isn't an all purpose tool even for ai)

3 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

It isn't surprising since 390x is just a rebrand and the 480 rivals a 390 non x.

Well, 390X did get quite a few improvements - and we can see above that the 480 is on par with a 980 with A-sync. And we also see the Fury X beating the 980 Ti

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

doesn't appear to , at least not on my system .

that sucks. It be nice to test Multi GPU vs SLI/Crossfire and a mix of cards

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The quality isn't the issue being addressed by async it's the quantity more than anything (hordes of independent moving enemies), but I agree adding more complex ai to games in general would be nice but that is for the most part a separate issue (it does take less complex AIs to make it beneficial than dopey ones I'll admit but async isn't an all purpose tool even for ai)

Yes, it is. Asynchronous compute enables a GPU to do compute and graphical workloads at the same time. It's not just about putting more things on the screen. AI = compute workload.