First Server Build

Hey guys,

I'm looking at building a sort of everything server which could be scalable (mainly for storage) in the future.  The primary uses from the start would be data storage/NAS, media hosting, and VPN for overseas access to regional content(i.e. netflix, other streaming services, etc.).  One of the major primary reasons for building this however is to stop paying dropbox $100 a year.  It was great when I used all of the functionality dropbox had to offer, but now that I do not fully utilize the service, as well as privacy concerns and the convenience of being able to access more the 1TB remotely, this is what I have decided upon.  Some uses later on could possibly include website hosting as well as game server hosting.  

I'm looking at this build that I put together on PC Part Picker from some quick research and reading over the past few days.  
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XfZGGf

Component   Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where      
CPU 5e0ee8d98c6594a46a2d49ea69317d28.256p.jp $216.95       $216.95 SuperBiiz   Buy

CPU Cooler e61eab34f372905f9b2dc4a6a7f4c11b.256p.jp $69.99 -$10.00 FREE   $59.99 Newegg   Buy

$10.00 mail-in rebate

Motherboard   $239.99   FREE   $239.99 Newegg   Buy

Memory   $71.99   Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime   $71.99 Amazon   Buy

Add Additional Memory  
Storage 7ad883dbf9bab9716c04f4c007fb3444.med.256 $54.99   Free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime   $54.99 Amazon(Overridden)   Buy

89d69a65468e6c4bdca1a9f0d7d8b623.med.256 $149.49   FREE   $149.49 B&H   Buy

89d69a65468e6c4bdca1a9f0d7d8b623.med.256 $149.49   FREE   $149.49 B&H   Buy

Add Additional Storage  
Video Card   Choose A Video Card  
Case 5e482ce32197b7e86f1a971a9bedc257.med.256 $94.99       $94.99 NCIX US   Buy

Power Supply c10a12689bd26f9debbb1fae8c758731.med.256

Some details on the build:

As I said before, this first build is to just get me started with the ability to add storage later.  I am planning on running Ubuntu off of the 120GB SSD, and running the WD Red 4TB drives in Raid 1 for an overall capacity of 4TB for data and whatever else I want.  I have a license to Windows server as well, but am leaning towards Ubuntu simply because I want to try it out.  I also need IPMI for remote management (or another suitable equivalent) as I will not be physically present with the server starting in September when I will also want to be utlizing the VPN functionality when I am moving out of the country for a bit.

As listed on PC Part Picker, I have selected the motherboard becuase it has IPMI functionality, as well as the ability to add up to 6 more HDDs without needing to replace the motherboard/add more SATA connectors.  The case and processor I am still not concrete on, as well as the PSU.

Let me know what you guys think based on what I am trying to do.  I've had a lot of experience with PC builds (especially for gaming) but servers are a relatively new ballpark for me.

And lastly, I know a lot depends on my ISP connection for VPN and streaming capabilities.  It's pretty good, I'm not looking for anything mind blowing, but will upgrade it if performance is really suffering.

My budget is capped at $1300, with a preferable budget in the $7/800-$1100 price range.

DO NOT GET THAT POWER SUPPLY

cheap capacitors/bad quality I know because I have one

Get a Evga g2

Is 550W the lowest for the EVGA G2?  Would that be too much overkill for powering the system (max is 211W right now) or can that not be avoided?

And noted on the SSD, will look for something else.  Do you have one in mind?

1. try not to get a xeon, a quad-core i7 would do the same thing and it would cost less

2. if you are using windows server (i will use 2015 as a example) check the min-requirements i would use this SSD for a server: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jxphP6/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp600s364gmc

3. if you NEED to use a xeon then get a low end GPU like a GeForce 210 realy cheap these days

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I was under the impression that the Xeon had integrated graphics on it as well, but I could be mistaken.  Also, the motherboard supports it as well, so I should be fine without a graphics card either way, correct?

I have been interested in purchasing the skylake series of either brand.  I'm not too good at determining performance between different types of processors.  Which i7 could I find would be about the same as the CPU that I have currently selected?

2 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

3. if you NEED to use a xeon then get a low end GPU like a GeForce 210 realy cheap these days

Since the model of Xeon selected has Intel IGP, why would you suggest a low end NVidia GPU to pair with it?  That's just redundant.

8 hours ago, aegis said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

The CPU does have an integrated GPU so you don't necessarily need a dedicated one.

I would consider going for 2x8GB for the memory as you may benefit from the dual-channel support on the motherboard and it may be less costly. 

WD Red drives are a great choice for this! 

The guys gave you some excellent advice so I'd listen to that! 

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Since the model of Xeon selected has Intel IGP, why would you suggest a low end NVidia GPU to pair with it?  That's just redundant.

hmm..

never knew that model has a IGP

good to know for later

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

4 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Get a cheap Gigabit Ethernet PCIe network adapter. You can double the available bandwidth for upload, which you'll definitely want for a server

He hasn't even stated what speed of internet service he would have, he'd need to have MORE than 1gbit up stream for that to even make any sense.

16 hours ago, aegis said:

Is 550W the lowest for the EVGA G2?  Would that be too much overkill for powering the system (max is 211W right now) or can that not be avoided?

I have a server with the seasonic 360w 80+ gold model and its fine. Id get something like that.

Id get a hdd(or two) for boot. The extra speed of a ssd won't help as all files you need are cached on ram and the boot hdd isn't used.

6 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Get a cheap Gigabit Ethernet PCIe network adapter. You can double the available bandwidth for upload, which you'll definitely want for a server

The nics on most boards are just as good as the ones on thoses nics. It will be the same speed.

16 hours ago, aegis said:

snip

Id probably use the stock cooler, those chips don't make much heat at all, also id get a 1230.

Id get a old hdd for boot

Also Id suggest looking into a used server like a dell r710/hp dl 180 g6 if you want rack or a t410 or t320 if you want a tower. Both of those can be found for under 500 and would be faster and have lots more server grade features built in like impi, dual psu's, lots of ram slots, dual nic's.

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have a server with the seasonic 360w 80+ gold model and its fine. Id get something like that.

Id get a hdd(or two) for boot. The extra speed of a ssd won't help as all files you need are cached on ram and the boot hdd isn't used.

So is there actually no impact on speed or is it just not a noticeable impact on speed?   If I were to go with just a hdd for boot, why would I possibly need 2?

15 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

He hasn't even stated what speed of internet service he would have, he'd need to have MORE than 1gbit up stream for that to even make any sense.

Right, I definitely do not have 1 gbit upstream.  But say if later I acquired such later, I could just simply add a PCI network card to take advantage of the new found speed, right?  This would just be part of the scalability of the build.

22 minutes ago, aegis said:

So is there actually no impact on speed or is it just not a noticeable impact on speed?   If I were to go with just a hdd for boot, why would I possibly need 2?

Right, I definitely do not have 1 gbit upstream.  But say if later I acquired such later, I could just simply add a PCI network card to take advantage of the new found speed, right?  This would just be part of the scalability of the build.

1. No impact. All files are stored on ram. Once services are loaded its the same speed.

2. An add in 1gbe nic won't be any faster than the onboard nic.

Awesome, but what about the mention of possibly having two hdd boot drives?  And adding a PCI card later would be no problem at all?

On July 13, 2016 at 9:06 PM, aegis said:

I was under the impression that the Xeon had integrated graphics on it as well, but I could be mistaken.  Also, the motherboard supports it as well, so I should be fine without a graphics card either way, correct?

I have been interested in purchasing the skylake series of either brand.  I'm not too good at determining performance between different types of processors.  Which i7 could I find would be about the same as the CPU that I have currently selected?

The Xeon has an igpu at least the Skylake Xeon 

21 hours ago, aegis said:

Awesome, but what about the mention of possibly having two hdd boot drives?  And adding a PCI card later would be no problem at all?

No it won't be at all but the nic on the supermicro board are 1gbps

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

On 7/15/2016 at 0:16 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

2. An add in 1gbe nic won't be any faster than the onboard nic.

If you only use one or the other no. But you can use BOTH on different IPs and it can speed up the speed on the network.

On 14/07/2016 at 2:59 AM, samiscool51 said:

1. try not to get a xeon, a quad-core i7 would do the same thing and it would cost less

2. if you are using windows server (i will use 2015 as a example) check the min-requirements i would use this SSD for a server: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jxphP6/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp600s364gmc

1) An i7 would do the same thing for more*

3) Not necessary (mentioned already)

On 13/07/2016 at 11:52 PM, aegis said:

1) Yes, it'd be fine but overkill

2) Crucial BX200 or Adata SP550 if going cheap, Samsung 850 EVO if going expensive.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats