i7 6700k 80c while gaming

29 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

yeah our setups are basically the same lol my monitor is a 1440p 144hz gsync ips

The major difference is the monitor yes. 1440P demands alot more horsepower than 1080P, so you will of course get bottlenecket before i do ;P

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

12 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

hmm id rather not to avoid dust as theres quite a bit of it in my room, and before you say that it could be dust i have already cleaned out the cpu heatsink and my fans

I've been leaving wy side panel off and had no problem managing dust, I usually clean it off weekly with a small brush

But if your room is carpeted I can see it being a problem

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I've been leaving wy side panel off and had no problem managing dust, I usually clean it off weekly with a small brush

But if your room is carpeted I can see it being a problem

yeah my room is carpeted and after looking at the logs it seems it just spiked to 80c mainly hangs around 72c-75c 

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

2 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

yeah my room is carpeted and after looking at the logs it seems it just spiked to 80c mainly hangs around 72c-75c 

Keep in mind the package temperature isn't as accurate a reading as each core's temperature, and if those stay below 85 you're good

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

• 9 months later...

view final paragraph for why I raised the dead.

The problem

"i7 6700K w/ CM Hyper D92 Manual Vcore @ 1.24v Using stock clock (4.2GHz boost)"

The Reality. (Real World Use and Testing)

80C even at 100% load is way too high for that cooler + CPU especially at that Voltage and clock.

I have the exact same CPU and Cooler and at 4.7GHz 1.312v Actual (1.3 in bios) I do not reach 80C. Both in CPU Package and CPU Core Max temps.

AIDA64 17Hours

The highest I recorded after 17hours AIDA64 CPU+FPU+CACHE+MEMORY stability test was 78C CPU Package. 

Also I only have 2 x 120mm case fans both are exhaust. one and one in the back. 

X264 CPU Encoded Streaming

Streaming that exact same game on maxed settings for 6hours using x264 encoding at 720p 30FPS. my recorded max CPU core temp was 72C with an average of 63C. And my CPU usage never reached 100% 

For the the record I have a GTX 1070 and ran the game at 1080p compared to the OP having a 1080 and running the game at 1440p. Let it be known that the higher resolution should place any strain on the GPU and not the CPU so I doubt that this had anything to do with his temps. For the hell of it I ran the game at 1440p using NVIDIA's HDR tech and streamed for 30 minutes using x264 same as before. My recorded max was 68C and average 61C. I cleared the temperature timers before the second test. The first timer was HWinfo running all day so the max temp might not have been caused by the 6hours of streaming. 

The Conclusion

Either your Fan curve is set to Lazy as balls, Your Heatsink is mounted loosely, or your thermal paste has dried up like a salted toad. 

Fan Curve

Fan curve out out of the box doesn't hit 100% fan speed. My fan curve is set to 50% at 30C (my room's ambient temp is 22C) 55C 70% fan speed and 60C 100% fan speed. 

(My idle processor when set to adaptive Voltage can get temps as low as 26C. Since you aren't overclocking use adaptive. On static idle 4.5Ghz at 1.312 actual Vcore I get low 30s either way.)

CM HYPER D92: Proper Installation

On the Hyper D92 there are these large pair of spring loaded screws. Tighten them completely until you feel resistance. Stop as soon as you feel resistance. Resistance in this scenario is defined by using the weakest amount of force to twist the screws until they stop (it easy to notice the stop). It has been my experience that people fear they will crush the CPU and don't even tighten the heatsinks to the stop point. If you notice on Z170 boards there is a square metal ring surrounding the CPU. Your heatsink will not crush your CPU it would first crack your motherboard and begin to deny that ring. It would be audible before you have any real damage. Tightening until stop is the stop point on the ring meaning complete contact is made. Tightening further beyond stop is what would create unnecessary pressure.

Thermal Re-paste

If it's the thermal paste having dried out. (6-12months for most with heavy gaming)  I do recommend using IC Diamond 7carat Thermal Paste. No I will not claim insane temperature decreases. That is a bonus. The longevity is the real selling point. 

This is my experience: I used to swear by Arctic Silver 5 for at least 3 years. I honestly wish I had found this IC Diamond sooner lol. The gain isn't so much in the temps because the temp difference was only about ~6-8C. The real gains I received were in longevity. I used to have to change the Arctic Silver 5 paste ever 6-12 months because my CPU would start heating to the mid 80s (this was on a i7-2720QM. I have used exclusively IC7 on my 6700k). The reason for the longevity is the Incredibly low liquid content of the paste. It is 92% micronized Diamond powder. 4% idk and only 4% liquid content. (Yes It is NONconductive) (Yes Diamond beats out silver in heat conductivity) Less evaporatable material = less gaps form over time = no performance degradation at high temps over long periods of use. Because of this the Innovation Cooling 7carat Diamond paste is very thick (compared to arctic silver 5 the only other paste I have used) because of it's thickness it is applied a little different than other pastes. I recommend checking their site or reading the box. (please DO NOT SPREAD IT like you would other pastes). 

Proof? 

I am on my phone posting this. But if you require picture evidence. I will gladly provide it.

**REASON FOR NECROMANCY**

Totally necroing this thread because it was answered with nothing but speculation.  Others like me will end up here seeking an answer only to read total misinformation.

47 minutes ago, Scream Silence said:

view final paragraph for why I raised the dead.

The problem

"i7 6700K w/ CM Hyper D92 Manual Vcore @ 1.24v Using stock clock (4.2GHz boost)"

The Reality. (Real World Use and Testing)

80C even at 100% load is way too high for that cooler + CPU especially at that Voltage and clock.

I have the exact same CPU and Cooler and at 4.7GHz 1.312v Actual (1.3 in bios) I do not reach 80C. Both in CPU Package and CPU Core Max temps.

AIDA64 17Hours

The highest I recorded after 17hours AIDA64 CPU+FPU+CACHE+MEMORY stability test was 78C CPU Package. 

Also I only have 2 x 120mm case fans both are exhaust. one and one in the back. 

X264 CPU Encoded Streaming

Streaming that exact same game on maxed settings for 6hours using x264 encoding at 720p 30FPS. my recorded max CPU core temp was 72C with an average of 63C. And my CPU usage never reached 100% 

For the the record I have a GTX 1070 and ran the game at 1080p compared to the OP having a 1080 and running the game at 1440p. Let it be known that the higher resolution should place any strain on the GPU and not the CPU so I doubt that this had anything to do with his temps. For the hell of it I ran the game at 1440p using NVIDIA's HDR tech and streamed for 30 minutes using x264 same as before. My recorded max was 68C and average 61C. I cleared the temperature timers before the second test. The first timer was HWinfo running all day so the max temp might not have been caused by the 6hours of streaming. 

The Conclusion

Either your Fan curve is set to Lazy as balls, Your Heatsink is mounted loosely, or your thermal paste has dried up like a salted toad. 

Fan Curve

Fan curve out out of the box doesn't hit 100% fan speed. My fan curve is set to 50% at 30C (my room's ambient temp is 22C) 55C 70% fan speed and 60C 100% fan speed. 

(My idle processor when set to adaptive Voltage can get temps as low as 26C. Since you aren't overclocking use adaptive. On static idle 4.5Ghz at 1.312 actual Vcore I get low 30s either way.)

CM HYPER D92: Proper Installation

On the Hyper D92 there are these large pair of spring loaded screws. Tighten them completely until you feel resistance. Stop as soon as you feel resistance. Resistance in this scenario is defined by using the weakest amount of force to twist the screws until they stop (it easy to notice the stop). It has been my experience that people fear they will crush the CPU and don't even tighten the heatsinks to the stop point. If you notice on Z170 boards there is a square metal ring surrounding the CPU. Your heatsink will not crush your CPU it would first crack your motherboard and begin to deny that ring. It would be audible before you have any real damage. Tightening until stop is the stop point on the ring meaning complete contact is made. Tightening further beyond stop is what would create unnecessary pressure.

Thermal Re-paste

If it's the thermal paste having dried out. (6-12months for most with heavy gaming)  I do recommend using IC Diamond 7carat Thermal Paste. No I will not claim insane temperature decreases. That is a bonus. The longevity is the real selling point. 

This is my experience: I used to swear by Arctic Silver 5 for at least 3 years. I honestly wish I had found this IC Diamond sooner lol. The gain isn't so much in the temps because the temp difference was only about ~6-8C. The real gains I received were in longevity. I used to have to change the Arctic Silver 5 paste ever 6-12 months because my CPU would start heating to the mid 80s (this was on a i7-2720QM. I have used exclusively IC7 on my 6700k). The reason for the longevity is the Incredibly low liquid content of the paste. It is 92% micronized Diamond powder. 4% idk and only 4% liquid content. (Yes It is NONconductive) (Yes Diamond beats out silver in heat conductivity) Less evaporatable material = less gaps form over time = no performance degradation at high temps over long periods of use. Because of this the Innovation Cooling 7carat Diamond paste is very thick (compared to arctic silver 5 the only other paste I have used) because of it's thickness it is applied a little different than other pastes. I recommend checking their site or reading the box. (please DO NOT SPREAD IT like you would other pastes). 

Proof? 

I am on my phone posting this. But if you require picture evidence. I will gladly provide it.

**REASON FOR NECROMANCY**

Totally necroing this thread because it was answered with nothing but speculation.  Others like me will end up here seeking an answer only to read total misinformation.

this has long been fixed i switched to the evga 120 clc and my temps are great now

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

Intel advice: If your CPU is overheating, don't overclock it. Even if it's "K" version that is kinda meant for overclocking.

And if your CPU is still running hot at stock settings: downclock it.

Official Intel advice.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

EVGA's CLC 120 isnt much of an upgrade and almot double the price.  o.O  I would say 10C difference at most between the D92 and it. But I'm sure it is quieter. xD Pre-made water coolers are easily outperformed by good air coolers especially at 120mm.

At least it's fixed tho. ;)

But like I said I only posted that so others who end up on this page don't read a bunch of garbage.

Oh and @Simon771 he was downvolted and un-overclocked on Skylake. As far as i'm concerned that backwards logic that intel threw at it's consumers is only for kaby lake :P it was funny tho. KabyLake owners got trolled hard xD Also intel would not say downclock. Downclocking would mean it isn't running at specs would mean RMA. 9_9