RX 480 performs ~30% faster with Vulkan!...

TrigrH

the OC 970 getting it's ass kicked by reference rx 480, it looks like the dx12/vulkan is really gonna help Amd on the long run

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why does Async need to be tied to AA though?

Because the id we used to know is dead.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

2 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Because the id we used to know is dead.

id?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

id?

The developer.

id.png

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

2 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

The developer.

id.png

Oh lol. My bad.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

WOOO VULKAN YEA

to bad like one game uses it

:/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Noice.

I wonder will EA/DICE use Vulkan in BF1 and what about Hangar 13/2K Czech with Mafia 3? Because if so, I think I can rest assured that those games will play nicely with the RX 480 then.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Noice.

I wonder will EA/DICE use Vulkan in BF1 and what about Hangar 13/2K Czech with Mafia 3? Because if so, I think I can rest assured that those games will play nicely with the RX 480 then.

They will at least use DX12. They could add Vulkan support if they want.......... But i doubt it.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They will at least use DX12. They could add Bulkan support if they want.......... But i doubt it.

Well at least DX12 still seems to favor AMD's performance over Nvidia's.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well at least DX12 still seems to favor AMD's performance over Nvidia's.

lol. Bulkan? What the hell am i talking about? xD. VULKAN!

Yeah well no Vulkan support means no Linux Version of Battlefield 1 :(

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well it looks like it's only on consoles and Windows. Maybe it does point to it lacking Vulkan. :/

Dear EA/DICE, Vulkan benefits AMD cards and even Nvidia cards, why not throw it in there to make the game run smoother on both cards. I mean I know DX12 is pretty equal to both cards but throwing Vulkan into the mix makes it even better.

34 minutes ago, Lays said:

WOOO VULKAN YEA

to bad like one game uses it

:/

There's now as much Vulkan releases in 2016 as there are DX11 releases :v

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Probably just like aots, and other early dx12 titles they are pretty poorly optimized implementations. 

Summing up the above posters opinions in four lines of text:

Nvidia does poorly, AMD does good -> must be poorly optimized

Nvidia scores good. AMD sucks -> Game is properly optimized, AMD just sucks.

AMD does good, Nvidia does good -> Game is poorly optimized for GPUs.

Nvidia better fast track Volta because the jig is up on their architectural stubbornness, these are early days for Vulkan and DX12 but that single shader pipeline on Pascal isn't doing them any favours compared to AMD's 8.

Unfortunately a lot of people already blindly bought into Pascal day 1 and Nvidia can escape immediate punishment. But hopefully it translates into lost trust next generation.

And it doesn't help AMD that there isn't a fresh high-end card from them yet. RX 480 is a cool little David vs Goliath scenario but we need Vega to really show how much better the design choices AMD are making are.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Noice.

it's not that simple. Yes both Vulkan and DX12 benefit AMD GCN GPUs ( not just 480). However what matters is the quality of the implementation. The devs have to properly refactor the engine, make sure everything underneath is nicely multithreaded and lots of other stuff and only then implement Vulkan/DX12 on top of that. When done right you get the benefit like we see in Doom. But for a lazy developer doing a non-scientific quick port they will not get gains.

anyway I don't know about mafia 3, but EA's frostbite engine seems to be well optimized and well suited for new gen APIs.

Interesting.

Great to see other api´s like Vulkan making this kind of progress.

Nvidia cards also work well on Vulkan, and thats a good thing.

Now we need more support from the game developers aswell who want to implement support for the vulkan api to their games.

And of course the open source community.

Then there exaly might be a future for Linux as an alternative OS for gamers in the future.

Since vulkan is crossplatform, it shouldnt be that hard for game developers to backport their games to Linux then.

No Microsoft bugging people anymore with their crap. :D

This could realy get interesting, and maybe a huge benefit to platforms like steam OS.

But it will also benefit the game devs them selfs,

if Linux become a viable alternative for gamers.

6 hours ago, ivan134 said:

None of the AMD cards are good OpenGL cards. The 480 isnt the only one benefiting from this patch

Precisely: a more indicative and fair test is a game available on DX11 and DX12 (or Vulkan) for example. And I believe that the gains are nowhere near this much.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Prysin said:

Summing up the above posters opinions in four lines of text:

Nvidia does poorly, AMD does good -> must be poorly optimized

Nvidia scores good. AMD sucks -> Game is properly optimized, AMD just sucks.

AMD does good, Nvidia does good -> Game is poorly optimized for GPUs.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Tomb Raider just now being kinda better on Dx12 (regardless of card) , and Aots's phase where every game update was swinging fps. 

I don't even want to get started on the other UWP disasters. 

Thus I'd expect at least for a bit, for the Vulkan implementation to be leaving cards on the table so to speak. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I thought AMD was using OpenGL 4.3 while Nvidia was using 4.5? (For Doom)

Some specific cards were having this issue. It was patched a while back. For example the 290 was using the proper version, but the 390 wasn't.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

8 hours ago, ivan134 said:

It's even faster once asynchronous compute is used. As of right now you need to use TSSAA to make use of async compute. The devs said they'll add wider support later.

damn, by pausing a few times in that vid to see the difference, I've seen an increase of over 40% in some situations. That's pretty crazy.

7 hours ago, Spectrez said:

going to be interesting too see if Nvidia's GPUs will benefit from Async computing

I dont see how they could when it's emulated vs AMD's hardware-based.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Linux users represent 0.3% of all steam playerbase. It's statistically irrelevant. How irrelevant? Windows phones are 10 time as relevant in the phone market.

Edited by RagnarokDel

34 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Tomb Raider just now being kinda better on Dx12 (regardless of card) , and Aots's phase where every game update was swinging fps. 

I don't even want to get started on the other UWP disasters. 

Thus I'd expect at least for a bit, for the Vulkan implementation to be leaving cards on the table so to speak. 

That's really funny because you only mentioned one UWP  like game and that technically wasn't UWP because it wasn't universalally available (meaning it was only available on PC)

2 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

So much for Vulkan helping the framerates of my 980 :/

It wasn't meant to. It was meant to improve performance on GPUs which already had solid DX12 performance.  So Nvidia GPUs weren't meant to benefit too much. Mainly AMD.

4 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Interesting.

Great to see other api´s like Vulkan making this kind of progress.

Nvidia cards also work well on Vulkan, and thats a good thing.

Now we need more support from the game developers aswell who want to implement support for the vulkan api to their games.

And of course the open source community.

Then there exaly might be a future for Linux as an alternative OS for gamers in the future.

Since vulkan is crossplatform, it shouldnt be that hard for game developers to backport their games to Linux then.

No Microsoft bugging people anymore with their crap. :D

This could realy get interesting, and maybe a huge benefit to platforms like steam OS.

But it will also benefit the game devs them selfs,

if Linux become a viable alternative for gamers.

It won't until 100% of games on Windows are available on Linux and until 40% or more are on Linux.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's really funny because you only mentioned one UWP  like game and that technically wasn't UWP because it wasn't universalally available (meaning it was only available on PC)

I said THE OTHER UWP disasters. Implying Tomb Raider to not be one of them.... 

Also Microsoft explicitly calls their gaming platform on Windows 10 UWP regardless of it being available on Xbone.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I said THE OTHER UWP disasters. Implying Tomb Raider to not be one of them.... 

As i'll keep on saying. It is only called UWP because it is Universal. If they don't release it on Windows phones AND PC then it is technically not Universal.

Also, you mean these disasters? Yeah, they don't look like disasters to me.

uwp_games.PNG