Need help on deciding sound card/headphone setup for new pc

Melt My GPU

Hello ladies and gents!

I've just built myself a (if I do say so myself) awesome sauce PC. And it's perfect in almost every aspect, there's just one things that's missing...

​A sound card and a perfect set of headphones to go with it.

Now in terms of a sound card I've pretty much been dead set on the Xonar STX by Asus, I've heard it's an awesome sound card and the price doesn't seem too bad at all.

I'm extremely stuck on headphones to pair them up with though, I've been looking at Sennheiser HD 650's but I've read on these super audiophile websites that you need some crazy amp that's like 1K to get the absolute most out of them otherwise they sound dull, murky and 'claustrophobic'.

I'm addicted to my music but I'm not the greatest with all the terms such as 'sound stage' Currently stuck using crappy iPod earphones on my phone when I'm out and using my Turtle Beach X41's that I used to use on my Xbox 360 before I converted to PC on my computer right now using the optical out on the rear IO of my PC.

However I know what not to get (*Cough* Beats by Dre *Cough*) and a bit here and there but in terms of knowing what's really good and what's not I let my ears be the judge, I may not have a set of golden ears or an expert of audio and hell I don't know jack shit about a lot of things but music is an everyday part of my life and I cannot go without a day without listening to several hours of what I love.

Some of you may say that the audiophile forums are the way to go but honestly I feel like the odd one out when everyone starts spitting technical jargon and having like crazy setup's with a pre amp then an amp then an AV receiver and speakers that are like 1000K a piece (okay maybe exaggerating a little but do you get my point?) and I have no idea what the heck they're on about.

So if you could help me out with some suggestions, tips, advice, and perhaps what I should and shouldn't get, that'd be great and I'd really appreciate you're time and effort to help me out. :3 (P.S Not afraid to toss a little coin I have the patience to save up a little but the price point of the 650's is about where you could look at but not fussed to spend $350 to ~$400 bucks for something really nice) :D

"If you have a dream don't wait. Act."

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

The HD650 will run fine on the Xonar STX, although not that optimal but it works perfectly fine. Although, there are really good setups out there like the O2 amp & ODAC combo and the new Schiit Modi/Magi combo that are less than $300ish and works really well with the HD650. If you're dead set on getting the STX, I'd go for an amp and use your sound card as as a DAC, this way it's a bit cheaper and you can spend a bit more on a better amp.

I'd look around at Head-Fi forums and search up some stuff on which amps/dacs work well with the HD650.

Sennheiser Ampheriors? Dennon AH-D2000's?

Did you want a neutral sound or did you want a bass boost?

Also worth a look if you're interested; www.customcans.co.uk

I see, so the 'JDS Labs Objective2's' a headphone amp, and an ODAC is a Digital to Analog Converter (Or DAC, yes?) and you can get those separate or all in one and basically it's like the sound card except external and Better in your opinion? How'd I hook it up? just usb from pc to the DAC/AMP and headphones into the DAC/AMP and I'm good to go? With the Schiit Modi is that a DAC but with no amp and the (I think you made a typo) Magni is the amp and you hook those two together and connect it to your PC and then your headphones and you're good to go? Out of the two, which do you think is better? and also do you think the HD 650's are nice or is there something better you had in mind? I don't mean to spam a million and one questions and I don't expect you to give me lessons either as everyone's time is precious but I appreciate you helping me out here.

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

The Xonar STX is all that you REALLY need in terms of amping, it will be more than enough to drive the 650's. Audiophiles usually have the best amplifiers to get the absolutely best listening experience, as it comes to normal consumers or a "music enjoyer" you shouldn't really worry about those.

When it comes to the headphones you should really go and try different headphones and decide what sort of sound you like, it really comes down to personal preferences.

To keep it simple, a pair of Sennheiser headphones that fit your budget, and a Xonar sound card with a headphone amp that fits within your budget.

@Melt My GPU: Usually it's computer -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphones, you connect the DAC via USB to your computer.

With all this, you'll be going above your budget. I honestly agree with the above posters. If you REALLY want to get the best of the best, go with an amp/dac that I suggested. Otherwise, the STX would be fine. As for headphones the HD650 are the best of the best, if you're willing to save, you'll get your moneys worth.

I apologize for suggesting this high of the gear, I'm a bit of an audiophile myself!

The HD650 will run fine on the Xonar STX, although not that optimal but it works perfectly fine. Although, there are really good setups out there like the O2 amp & ODAC combo and the new Schiit Modi/Magi combo that are less than $300ish and works really well with the HD650. If you're dead set on getting the STX, I'd go for an amp and use your sound card as as a DAC, this way it's a bit cheaper and you can spend a bit more on a better amp.

I'd look around at Head-Fi forums and search up some stuff on which amps/dacs work well with the HD650.

It'll be worth every penny, you won't be disappointed that's for sure!

Thank you for all your time and help! Much appreciated :3

~Axel, Kingdom Hearts II

shopping for headphones is a never ending endeavor. they're a drug addiction that you will never be able to satisfy. I would maybe go with an akg 701 or 702 or the new v moda m100 to start. chew on those selections for a while as you decide what you want for your second course. or the cheaper ath m50 as an appetizer and then add to the headphone collection from there.

shopping for headphones is a never ending endeavor. they're a drug addiction that you will never be able to satisfy. I would maybe go with an akg 701 or 702 or the new v moda m100 to start. chew on those selections for a while as you decide what you want for your second course. or the cheaper ath m50 as an appetizer and then add to the headphone collection from there.
it sounds like you've scoured through some audiophile websites. look at all the people who own high end headphones they will list off pages of headphones that they've owned and cycle through as they listen to different things. the AKG's or the 650's are great headphones. you will not have buyers remorse from them however picking headphones is not like a math equation there is no one answer, no single set of cans to rule them all.

if you truly have a good experience from your headphone purchase I suspect you will start to look for more.