My wifi is garbage now

Thelillypad123

This is kind of hard to explain. Here goes nothing:

I have been playing on the same exact wifi connection for probably a good year and a half now, and while the download speeds and upload speeds have never been anything to write home about, my ping while playing online games was more than sufficient. My ping on my favorite servers on bf4 was always around the 30's with occasional dips into the 40's on rare occasions. This of course was more than fine and pretty much never affected my gaming experience negatively in any shape or form. Now, fast forward to about a month ago, all of a sudden things have really gone off the deep end. I'll run an internet speedtest using the same server each time and I can either get 16 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up with a ping of 14, or I'll get .8 Mbps down with 1 Mbps up and 233 ping. The worst part is is that I will get these two results within 5 minutes of the last test in a constant cycle throughout the entire day. This also translates into game when the ping gets to the 90's or 100's and makes it nearly impossible to connect any of my shots. Not to mention that rainbow six siege is utterly unplayable due to the fact I get kicked for high ping before the match even starts. 

A few things that I have noticed:

After a reset of my computer, adapter, and router/modem I can get the 16 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up with a ping of 14, but then after 5 minutes it goes back to cycling between the two results again. 

I bought a powerline adapter and the results are very consistent with a 14 ping, around 10 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. Yet, even with these consistent speed test results, my ping still goes anywhere from 30-120 randomly while playing a game. 

I use my 2.4 Ghz connection due to the fact that my router is downstairs and a few rooms over and lower frequencies traverse barriers much better than 5 Ghz does. My signal strength for my 2.4 Ghz connection is typically either 3/4 bars or 4/4 bars but never lower. However, my 5 Ghz connection gets 38 Mbps down, 8 Mbps up, and anywhere from 14-50 ping when tested. The signal strength is only 1/4 bars unfortunately, so playing games on this connection is not do-able. 

I have a dual band wireless n router with an ac modem and my ISP is metrocast in the Washington D.C. area. 

A few questions I have:

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Has anyone fixed this kind of problem before?

Honestly, I'm just dumbfounded at this whole situation and it is grinding away at my gears because I just cant seem to see why this has all of a sudden become a reality when I have never had problems with my wifi connection before.

Thank you.

Try moving your router to an open area.

If this doesn't work then this is a method on how to get 1gigabit connection if you computer and ISP plan support it(if the don't you will jut be bottle necked which is fine, being you will be at the max possible):

YOU HAVE TO USE CAT5e OR CAT6 CABLES

1. Open Network and Sharing Center

2. Click Change Adapter Settings

3. Right click on your wireless adapter (will have your SSID under it) and click properties

4. Click Configure

5. Goto Advanced

6. Under Property find Speed & Duplex and Click on it

7. Set the value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

Sorry if I wasn't any help, in advance.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein