Why do people care so much about temps?

DeadlyPilot

It seems that people will do whatever it takes to keep CPU/GPU temps as low as possible without very much reason to do so. 

What specific reason makes you want to keep your temperatures as low as possible? Thanks!

Overclockability is more stable with lower temps, because when a GPU/CPU gets too hot, it crashes to prevent damage. :)

1 minute ago, DeadlyPilot said:

It seems that people will do whatever it takes to keep CPU/GPU temps as low as possible without very much reason to do so. 

What specific reason makes you want to keep your temperatures as low as possible? Thanks!

Higher temperature=Higher chance of failure

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I rather not have miniature sauna in my room, but the temps of 980ti (arun 70c) dont worry me

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

The thing I don't understand is why people get upset when something runs hot, but is okay to run hot. Like People complain about AMD running hot, but they are engineered to allow for more temperature.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

High temps mean throttling and throttling = bad especially in a game when your fps just tanks at the worst times

Well because we feel more comfortable looking at HWMonitor saying that CPU and GPU are running under 50°C while on full load. Best feeling ever mate!

I went for water cooling, because it's more quiet, and I tried to get rid of the noise. It did help to some point, and my system is running now pretty quiet. Also temps are as mentioned above.

Lower temps will increase lifespan of your components usually. 

And ofc, we have more headroom for OCing.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

if cpuTemp < tcase:

print("Its a okay")

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Are there any tests that suggest higher temps reduce CPU/GPU lifespan?

Excess heat accelerates wear. Not significantly, but it does. Ideally, you'd want your processor running at the lowest temp possible, and at as consistent a temp possible. 

I don't think that most people think like that though. It's more, they want as much thermal headroom as possible to account for heavy overclocks and ambient temperature variations. Either that, or to brag about it and justify the cooler they totally didn't need.

7 hours ago, DeadlyPilot said:

It's theory based on physics. It's something that's sort of difficult to objectively test for small groups of people, as it would require a very large sample size to overcome the imprecise manufacturing process. Not to mention the time and staff hours it would take... Just imagine 5-10 guys trying to run a few hundred processors into the ground over the course of like 10 years...

35 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

I rather not have miniature sauna in my room, but the temps of 980ti (arun 70c) dont worry me

So your 70c is 158 F... That's a hot ass room *Sarcasm*

It doesn't matter if you liquid cool your GPU/CPU. The temps will remain the same. 

7 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

That's just how physics works.

Run an electronic device at 100C+ and it will die in minutes. Run it at 0C and it will last decades.

That's why electronic components are rated for certain temperatures.

You can take a look at all the reports of GPUs dying from back when people used them for bitcoin mining, running at 90C+ for months 24/7

Now there isnt much of a reason to cool your CPU to 60C instead of 80C, since 80C is perfectly fine, but its safer to have a larger margin in case of a heat spike from high ambient temps, a torture test like prime 95, or stuff like that.

Also bragging rights.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

So your 70c is 158 F... That's a hot ass room *Sarcasm*

It doesn't matter if you liquid cool your room. The temps will remain the same. 

well 70c only in gpu, cpu and other are way cooler. And also now ill save money in heating of my room.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

47 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

A case study with an i7 930 overclocked under full load 24/7 running at ~80°C:

CPU thermal paste had to be replaced every 18 months.

The system still performs the same as it did on day 1.

A case study with an i7 3930K overclocked under full load 24/7 running at ~80°C:

CPU thermal paste had to be replaced every 18 months.

Thermal pads on motherboard decomposed and needed to be replaced after 42 months.

After replacement of thermal pads on motherboard the system performs the same as it did on day 1.

Running up to 80°C 24/7 is not usually a concern at all. Beyond that and there would be an increased frequency for water loop (if present) and thermal pad/paste maintenance. Degraded thermal interface materials may result in increased thermal throttling or instability over time, although a well maintained system should run just as it did when you got it.

48 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Run an electronic device at 100C+ and it will die in minutes. Run it at 0C and it will last decades.

If you run at 0°C without proper precautions you are at risk of condensation reducing lifespan to minutes though.