Time to start coding!

gilz123

I want to start coding but i dont know which language will be the best to start off with. Any recommendations? I would like to know the pros and cons too.

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to do.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Python because it is the most human readable.

If you want a lesson type thing try http://codecademy.com/ 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

I guess this is for you codecademy.com and i suggest you learn C# or C or Python

32 minutes ago, gilz123 said:

I want to start coding but i dont know which language will be the best to start off with. Any recommendations? I would like to know the pros and cons too.

Thanks!

I recommend C# as a general purpose language unless you have to do something specific which requires another programming language.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Start with python. Very easy to learn and remember as most of it is just English or shortened English, and the formatting makes its very easy to find errors. I learnt python at school for my computing GCSE, and still remember a lot of it despite only spending 6 months learning it and not coding at all during the past 6 months. Despite python being such a user-friendly language, it is (sadly) slowly going extinct. Many programs nowadays no longer make use of python, simply because there are other, more efficient programming languages available.

Afterwards it all depends on what you want to do as to what second language you should learn. Java is a good second option (some people start with Java as a first language). It is quite similar to python, is an extremely powerful language, and is used in many common programs such as plugins and computer games (Probably most infamously in Minecraft). If you want to make an app, then I don't know the best language possible, but ruby on rails looks like a good one from what I've seen of it (although you may want to investigate this further, I haven't looked at it in detail) Do be aware though that although theses programs do hold similarities with python, they commonly have small differences that can make coding in them harder or less convenient.

Learning to code can be very frustrating at times; sat in front of your computer absolutely bamboozled as to why on earth your perfect-looking code is not working as intended. But when you manage to find and correct all your errors and end up with a working program, it is extremely rewarding. Oh and the error is usually sat right in front of you and is something stupid like a missing punctuation mark...

Be sure to use multiple sources to learn how to code. YouTube has many videos on learning python, some people do walkthrough-like videos.        Codecademy is also a great resource, with forums available to help you. Do be aware though that sometimes what is correct in a tutorial isn't going to work due to the tutorial being for an older version of the language.

Learning  to code is like learning a language. The first one is always the hardest, but afterwards similarities between different languages can be transferred across and makes learning the second and those after a lot easier. (Hence why I recommend learning java after python)

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the rewards and 'cool guy' factor of being able to code :D

Good luck

Most of the answers you're going to get are python, php, c# Java, C or C++. The odd man out in this list is C. You're probably going to want to pick a general purpose object oriented language as your first (that's pretty standard for self directed learning).

Want to build websites?

• C#
  • Python
  • PHP

Want to make general purpose desktop applications?

• C#
  • Java
  • C++

Want to make games?

• C++

My personal recommendation is .NET c# or .NET C++. Microsoft invests alot of time and money into providing very nice documentation of the frameworks available to those languages through the .NET framework, and it makes the whole "teaching yourself" thing a lot easier and cheaper. The downside of these languages is no portability: The .NET framework (which is the most widely used for C#, and up there for C++) is Windows specific.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I've started programming when my wife bought me "Programming for dummies" W.Wong. I really like it.