GTX 1060 SLI VS GTX 970 SLI

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

You can't SLI to 1060, it doesn't have any SLI fingers on it.

We dont even know the performance of a GTX 1060....

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Thats the worst part i if it performs as the RX 480 i would go for the RX 480 knowing i could CF them whenever i want...

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

2 minutes ago, PizzaFriday said:

What is better?

SLI GTX 1060 or SLI GTX 970.

Well first of all the gtx 1060 hasn't been released and actual performance isn't known yet. Also reports say that you cant sli a 1060.

Why did they do that?

1 minute ago, PizzaFriday said:

Why did they do that?

Only god knows

1 minute ago, PizzaFriday said:

Why did they do that?

I have no clue but I think it will turn out to be a very stupid move on their part.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It doesn't?

Well, I've been living under a rock again.

I can't see why Nvidia choose to do this. I know SLI isn't the best thing ever, but some people think it's fun or nice to do and maybe with the coming of DX12 multi-gpu becomes better and more relevant.

Probably trying to get you to buy the more expensive 1070...

You're close enough to a single 1080 in budget. I'd save extra or wait a bit for better pricing (should come down with availability). But if you can't wait I'd still pick a single 1070 over dual 970s or dual 480s (no 1060 SLI)

-------

Current Rig

-------

SLI 970 will be maybe cheaper if u find a good deal on them... And u cant SLI 1060's as far as I am aware there are no fingers

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I wonder if the board partners can add sli to their cards, but the reason they likely did it is that they'd be close to 1080 in performance if not greater than for less money

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, PizzaFriday said:

Why did they do that?

SImply because it would interfere with 1070/1080 sales if it had SLI.

2 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

SImply because it would interfere with 1070/1080 sales if it had SLI.

And Nvidia certainly doesn't want to not have maximum profit.

15 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Ok... guess what. SLI'ing two lower end GPU's is a very bad decision. Go for the nicest highest end GPU you can afford, don't SLI or Crossfire lower end GPU's. 

1. 1060 cannot be sli'd

2. Nowadays, sli/cfx has gotten quite a bit better. Scaling in the majority of games makes it pretty damn viable. Not to mention with the 1060/480 you're already getting 390/970 performance. And no one really complained when people crossfired those eh. While having that starting budget can mean possibly being able to jump up a couple tiers, pricing this time around is weird. Two 480s and if the 1060 could sli, both would cost less than a 1080, but out perform it in a lot of situations. They both indefinitely cost more than a 1070 but also perform a good deal better across the board.

Weird sli/cfx setups are going to be hitting the mainstream this generation I think, since the performance is so damn good for such a low price. Nvidia really shot themselves in the foot not letting people sli the 1060, though I think that's what they were planning from the beginning, since even if scaling isnt great, two 1060s would cost significantly less than a 1080, and out perform it a majority of the time. I think they new that would be a thing, so removed support for sli. Hence them making no statement that they removed it, and just silently taking off the sli fingers.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Here are my thoughts. Nvidia and AMD have a strong push towards VR. The thing is, VR isn't optimized for SLI / CF as of yet, there is also no plans to implement proper support in the near future. Thus single GPU performance in VR is of utmost importance. Thus SLI / CF is not on the top of the log for the more budget cards.