Compatibility between Cable and NICs, 10Gbit SFP+

Greetings Linus Tech Tips Forum-ers,

I am trying to figure out the best way to connect my main desktop computer to my storage server. I plan to remove all the hard drives from my rig and have all my files on the server. Gigabit ethernet has been fine so far but I would like something faster now that am dumping tons of (raw) photos and videos on my desktop from my cameras and devices. 

My friend got me some SFP+ cards. On both my machines they are recognized in my Network Connections as Mellanox ConnectX-2 Ethernet Adapters and I believe they were purchased from this listing quite a ways back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182197126263?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Me being pretty excited decided to go out and find the cheapest SFP+ cable I can find (that reaches my computer from my closet where the server is), and did not bother to check compatibility... So right now I have this cable: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SFP-H10GB-ACU10M-Network-ASSEMBLY-Twinaxial/dp/B007NYGDU2

Should this cable work with the NICs that I have or should I go out and find another cable. On both systems, the connects read as Network cable unplugged.

I am attempting to follow the guide Linus posted here: 

I would have started by looking in the attic or cellar/basement and seeing if cables can be ran to where you need them.

If you can:

Buy a switch that has more connections than you would ever need, i.e. 4-port if you have 2 computers and a wireless hotspot.

Buy a box of 500 ft Cat6 from your local hardware store, a crimper, RJ45 plugs, and anti-snag covers.

Plan where the switch will be permanently located and plan your wiring runs as cleanly as possible.

Get the wires through the walls and use ethernet outlets to keep them in place and connect another cable from the outlet to the computer.

Edit: Did you remember to get the drivers and set the connections together?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

40 minutes ago, Gomenasai said:

Should this cable work with the NICs that I have or should I go out and find another cable. On both systems, the connects read as Network cable unplugged.

Well, if it's not seeing the cable on either system, I'd make sure it's securely connected on both ends, and make sure the correct drivers are installed, if any are needed.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

47 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would have started by looking in the attic or cellar/basement and seeing if cables can be ran to where you need them.

If you can:

Buy a switch that has more connections than you would ever need, i.e. 4-port if you have 2 computers and a wireless hotspot.

Buy a box of 500 ft Cat6 from your local hardware store, a crimper, RJ45 plugs, and anti-snag covers.

Plan where the switch will be permanently located and plan your wiring runs as cleanly as possible.

Get the wires through the walls and use ethernet outlets to keep them in place and connect another cable from the outlet to the computer.

While that's a good idea for OP, the NICs he has aren't copper based and they don't make 10Gbit GLC-T so he would need to buy different ones.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

If you can:

I live in a two bedroom apartments so my best option is running cables through cable conduits I installed on the ceiling. For my "home-networking" I have installed about 2-3 ethernet lines to each room that are mounted onto surface boxes. For this plan with the NICs I mentioned, I wanted to directly attach the two computers (my server and desktop) directly for a 10Gbps connection between them. The NICs do not appear to need additional drivers as they were recognized immediately by the OS as network cards. 

3 hours ago, JaredM54 said:

At that distance I would have used fiber, the transceivers and cable would have costed less than what you have. Most people only use Twinax cable within a single rack over short distances. Did you install any drivers? Do any lights come on on the cards when you plug the cable in? Are both computers connected to the network by anything else? You need to make sure they're on the same subnet. 

I did not install any additional drivers as Windows (Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for the desktop and server respectively) recognized both as Mellanox ConnectX-2 Ethernet Adapters immediately. Lights do not turn on when I plug in the cable. Both computers are connected to the same switch via their RJ-45 connections on the same subnet (for that connection, I haven't set up anything using the 10Gbit NICs yet.)

3 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Well, if it's not seeing the cable on either system, I'd make sure it's securely connected on both ends, and make sure the correct drivers are installed, if any are needed.

I've tried plugging and replugging the cable in at both ends. I'm not sure if any drivers are required, and if so, I'm not sure where to look. I've already tried the HP website without luck for my OSes.

I would have expected an Active Twinax to have worked but it sounds like you need a passive cable. If the NICs are showing up in Windows then the drivers should be working, getting the full drivers with the configuration utility is still recommended but I don't think it will fix the issue.

An active Twinax cable has active electronic components in the SFP+ housing to improve the signal quality; a passive Twinax cable is mainly just a straight "wire" and contains few components. Generally, Twinax cables shorter than 5 meters are passive and those longer than 5 meters are active, but this may vary from vendor to vendor. SFP+ Direct Attach Copper (DAC) is a popular choice for 10G Ethernet reaches up to 10 m[5] due to low latency and low cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinaxial_cabling#SFP.2B_Direct-Attach_Copper_.2810GSFP.2BCu.29

Some really cheap 10G switches require Active Twinax as they don't put any of the electronics in the ports to lower the cost, doesn't apply to you but interesting to know anyway.

I have had issues with the ConnectX-2 product family. The drivers windows provides are kind of whack, so I would recommend getting them from the website. Also, you spent way too much money on that cable. You could have gotten the same cable for under $20 on ebay.

My native language is C++

8 hours ago, Gomenasai said:

Greetings Linus Tech Tips Forum-ers,

I am trying to figure out the best way to connect my main desktop computer to my storage server. I plan to remove all the hard drives from my rig and have all my files on the server. Gigabit ethernet has been fine so far but I would like something faster now that am dumping tons of (raw) photos and videos on my desktop from my cameras and devices. 

My friend got me some SFP+ cards. On both my machines they are recognized in my Network Connections as Mellanox ConnectX-2 Ethernet Adapters and I believe they were purchased from this listing quite a ways back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182197126263?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Me being pretty excited decided to go out and find the cheapest SFP+ cable I can find (that reaches my computer from my closet where the server is), and did not bother to check compatibility... So right now I have this cable: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SFP-H10GB-ACU10M-Network-ASSEMBLY-Twinaxial/dp/B007NYGDU2

I am attempting to follow the guide Linus posted here: 

Personally, I'd recommend returning the SFP cable you got, and grabbing a couple run of the mill SFP+ cable off of eBay along with a Quanta LB4M switch.

In this setup, you would plug your file server and main PC into the switch via the SFP+ cable ONLY (ditch the ethernet cable), and plug the rest of the devices into the switch. Your two SFP+ machines will have a 10G link to the network, and all the others will have a one-gigabit link. This is the simplest way to do this, and will cost you about the same that you spent on that cable. I have done this myself with the same mellanox NICs and that switch. Feel free to ask any questions. 

You also don't have to worry about prioritizing the 10G link with this, as the 10G computers would ONLY have that connection.

I've had issues in the past with active SFP+ cables, and have ultimately always had better luck with passive cables and a switch.

1 hour ago, tt2468 said:

I have had issues with the ConnectX-2 product family. The drivers windows provides are kind of whack, so I would recommend getting them from the website. Also, you spent way too much money on that cable. You could have gotten the same cable for under $20 on ebay.

I actually bought the cable for $40. I tried the drivers on their website and not much luck there unfortunately :/

28 minutes ago, dricha36 said:

Personally, I'd recommend returning the SFP cable you got, and grabbing a couple run of the mill SFP+ cable off of eBay along with a Quanta LB4M switch.

In this setup, you would plug your file server and main PC into the switch via the SFP+ cable ONLY (ditch the ethernet cable), and plug the rest of the devices into the switch. Your two SFP+ machines will have a 10G link to the network, and all the others will have a one-gigabit link. This is the simplest way to do this, and will cost you about the same that you spent on that cable. I have done this myself with the same mellanox NICs and that switch. Feel free to ask any questions. 

You also don't have to worry about prioritizing the 10G link with this, as the 10G computers would ONLY have that connection.

I've had issues in the past with active SFP+ cables, and have ultimately always had better luck with passive cables and a switch.

I think I will try your suggestion. I have been looking into that switch for awhile but I didn't want to take chances on that configuration because I wasn't sure if the NICs and switch would play nicely with each other. I'll likely start with getting a passive cable (its all I can afford right now >.<) and seeing if it gets the NICs to light up.