LOCK PLEASE

Little Bear

In your opinion, what is the best game engine(from a developers perspective). Please list the Pros and Cons, and why you personally like it.

Here are some questions to answer:

1. Does the Dev kit have a User Interface(like ue4)?

2. Is it expensive to release a game on this engine(including royalties)?

3. If it is UI based does it also allow you into the source code of your game to edit it as you please?

4. Is the Engine very strict on their terms and agreements, allowing you to do only so much?

5. Is it easy to work with(obviously an opinion)?

Lets be civilized.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

I like Nintendo 64 

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

32 minutes ago, Little Bear said:

In your opinion, what is the best game engine(from a developers perspective). Please list the Pros and Cons, and why you personally like it.

Here are some questions to answer:

1. Does the Dev kit have a User Interface(like ue4)?

2. Is it expensive to release a game on this engine(including royalties)?

3. If it is UI based does it also allow you into the source code of your game to edit it as you please?

4. Is the Engine very strict on their terms and agreements, allowing you to do only so much?

5. Is it easy to work with(obviously an opinion)?

Lets be civilized.

There is no "best" only suitable. When choosing any SDK or API like a game engine you have to evaluate how that engine specifically meets your needs as well as where it falls short. Unfortunately your questions are irrelevant as they are only answers that you can answer for your self. People can state their opinions on a specific engine but those opinions are both right and wrong as it's all completely dependent on the project at hand. I have developed game engines before and just because my engine worked for me doesn't mean it will work for others (In fact I am pretty certain that it would be nearly useless for nothing but my own project).

End logical rant, begin illogical rational for engine selection.

In-house engine "Contact".

1) Only a profiling output but WYSIWYG editor coming soon.

2) Very expensive as time is money and developing your own takes a lot of time.

3) Not yet.

4) Absolute full control

5) Reasonably.

Unity

1) Yes

2) $1500 per year. Free pricing model is available but limits you to $100,000 of revenue capacity, as well as a disgusting lite skin.

3) JIT compilation so yes.

4) Nope.

5) Fantastic for rapid development and prototyping.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

3 hours ago, trag1c said:

2) $1500 per year. Free pricing model is available but limits you to $100,000 of revenue capacity, as well as a disgusting lite skin.

Unity changed its pricing quite a bit recently, you should check it out: https://store.unity.com/

8 hours ago, Gachr said:

Unity changed its pricing quite a bit recently, you should check it out: https://store.unity.com/

Haven't looked at their pricing in quite some time, this is an interesting pricing change.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

GameMaker is best :^)

/s

But really though, you can't really answer this question easily. Everything has its ups and downs. It's pros and cons for different purposes.

These pros and cons depends on what platform(s) you will release your product, or what you will not (ever) release it on.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 hours ago, Little Bear said:

What kind of game are you trying to make? And what language(s) are you familiar with?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The best game engine is the one that fits your needs.

Like everything else in computers.

I don't think people got the point of this thread, I was asking your opinion considering what you have worked with, and what your preference is.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

56 minutes ago, Little Bear said:

I don't think people got the point of this thread, I was asking your opinion considering what you have worked with, and what your preference is.

You asked what the best game engine is. Responses like "there is no best" and "it depends on your needs" are valid answers. That's usually the answer you'll get when asking "What is the best ____?" when it comes to this industry. Multiple options usually exist because nothing meets everyone's requirements.

Perhaps what you meant to ask, but didn't word correctly, is something along the lines of "What is your favourite game engine and why?". That doesn't necessarily mean you still won't get these types of responses, though.

6 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

You asked what the best game engine is. Responses like "there is no best" and "it depends on your needs" are valid answers. That's usually the answer you'll get when asking "What is the best ____?" when it comes to this industry. Multiple options usually exist because nothing meets everyone's requirements.

Perhaps what you meant to ask, but didn't word correctly, is something along the lines of "What is your favourite game engine and why?". That doesn't necessarily mean you still won't get these types of responses, though.

Did I ever say it was for my use?

Also that's exactly what my thread says IF YOU READ IT. You can't fit a paragraph in the title.

3 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Maybe the answer your looking for is, “the best game engine is one you roll yourself.” Such an engine will (presumably) adequately meet all of your needs, only costs as much as the time it takes to develop it, and has no price beyond that if you’re developing it yourself.

Personally, this is what I always recommend, especially for non-3D games. Unity is a scam, and a waste of money, and you’ll get a lot better performance out of something written in C or C++ anyway. Most all “game engines” will never be just what you’re looking for, so why bother if you’re planning a serious, large-scale product?

The thing is I am not looking for an answer, I have my opinion, I was asking other peoples opinions(as the beginning of my thread states); not for personal use, nor for any consideration AT ALL. Of course their is not a "best", that is why I said IN THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD "IN YOUR OPINION". I don't have needs to fit, so please don't try to cater to them in a sophisticated way.

3 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

Qgn04wx.gif

Are you illiterate?

No need to get upset.

On 7/9/2016 at 0:32 AM, Little Bear said:

Lets be civilized.

Remember?

8 hours ago, madknight3 said:

No need to get upset.

Remember?

I'm not upset. I asked you a question. "Are you illiterate", because you don't seem to be able to read. :) For the record: I have better things to do than debate over the internet, so do yourself a favor and don't reply again.

1 hour ago, Little Bear said:

I asked you a question. "Are you illiterate", because you don't seem to be able to read.

I assumed that since you quoted Alex you were asking him that question. My mistake.

Anyway, happy coding.

This is clearly going nowhere

- locked -

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.