Will this work as a windows server? Basically storage and active, directory.

Arty

Anything can work as a server. Heck, back some time ago I used a single core Celeron with 1GB RAM to function as an experimental AD logon server. You're good to go.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

7 minutes ago, Arty said:

Depends, if its for word documents, pictures and storing movies then yes.
If its for streaming this movies, then yes... kindoff. You won't be streaming 4K movies, but 1080p... Maybe.

Also: If you are going to use multiple users, then Nah-ah.
If its just for you and you alone you should be fine.

Keep in mind: That model doesn't come with a HDD, nor Memory or any OS.
FreeNAS wouldn't be the way to go since they recommend at least 16GB and that board only supports up to 1x 8GB RAM stick. (You only need 1GB for each TB of drive space, but it eats RAM for breakfast).
unRAID might be a solution?

I used an OptiPlex 760 USFF with a single 160GB HDD that I split into a 24GB partition for Server 2012 R2 and the rest for data and it was fine. :P 

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, maulemall said:

Im looking for something extremely small and low power.  

10 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I used an OptiPlex 760 USFF with a single 160GB HDD that I split into a 24GB partition for Server 2012 R2 and the rest for data and it was fine. :P 

:P

11 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Depends, if its for word documents, pictures and storing movies then yes.
If its for streaming this movies, then yes... kindoff. You won't be streaming 4K movies, but 1080p... Maybe.

Also: If you are going to use multiple users, then Nah-ah.
If its just for you and you alone you should be fine.

Keep in mind: That model doesn't come with a HDD, nor Memory or any OS.
FreeNAS wouldn't be the way to go since they recommend at least 16GB and that board only supports up to 1x 8GB RAM stick. (You only need 1GB for each TB of drive space, but it eats RAM for breakfast).
unRAID might be a solution?

im getting the model with i3,  402 and 64GB. storage 

Nobody will be using this, it will be sitting in a corner connected to the router. :). 

4 minutes ago, Arty said:

Im looking for something extremely small and low power.  

:P

im getting the model with i3,  402 and 64GB. storage 

Nobody will be using this, it will be sitting in a corner connected to the router. :). 

Does the router have a USB port? If so, most router support filesharing. Just plug the HDD into a Sata to USB 3.0 converter and you're golden :Þ

3 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Does the router have a USB port? If so, most router support filesharing. Just plug the HDD into a Sata to USB 3.0 converter and your golden :Þ

AT&T router.
The Server will be doing more than just storage, but i'm just mean there won't be any active users on it using it daily. 

1 minute ago, Arty said:

AT&T router.
The Server will be doing more than just storage, but i'm just mean there won't be any active users on it using it daily. 

So its just a "big storage for my work documents and stuff"-isch machine?
If you are going to some lightweight stuff on there you should be fine :Þ

4 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

So its just a "big storage for my work documents and stuff"-isch machine?
If you are going to some lightweight stuff on there you should be fine :Þ

and active directory network management, Thats what im starting with. IDK what i want to do with it yet, aka full potential.

Im internshiping/working an IT job, and just extremely curious atm :), plus Computer Science major and knowing front end IT stuff is good. 

1 minute ago, Arty said:

Thats what im starting with. IDK what i want to do with it yet, aka full potential.

Im internshiping/working an IT job, and just extremely curious atm :), plus Computer Science major and knowing front end IT stuff is good. 

I've bought myself a server with a Intel S1200v3RPL and a E3-1220 v3 with 32GB of ECC memory, just for a file server.
Now I'm using it for fileserver, VMs, AD and as my secondairy DNS server.

Upgradability is a big thing if you are a Geeky dude like me :Þ
You could also buy this system and buy a big server afterwards to run your stuff on there :)

2 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

I've bought myself a server with a Intel S1200v3RPL and a E3-1220 v3 with 32GB of ECC memory, just for a file server.
Now I'm using it for fileserver, VMs, AD and as my secondairy DNS server.

Upgradability is a big thing if you are a Geeky dude like me :Þ
You could also buy this system and buy a big server afterwards to run your stuff on there :)

Same, but atm im just looking for a tuckaway, trying to get my feet wet. Once i'm comfortable, then i want to go, like a server rack or something and upgrable.

8 minutes ago, Arty said:

Same, but atm im just looking for a tuckaway, trying to get my feet wet. Once i'm comfortable, then i want to go, like a server rack or something and upgrable.

Racks are more likely to be used in a Enterprise, business environment.
Its to expensive, and if you have a low budget, having just Desktop cases would save you a lot ;)

I'm not in the mood to upgrade to rackmounted gear because I'm not Linus nor a millionair.
Good luck with your machine, you would be fine. And if you run into any problems be shure to post another topic about this, we are happy to help you out. ;) 

3 minutes ago, tv15dsi said:

Racks are more likely to be used in a Enterprise, business environment.
Its to expensive, and if you have a low budget, having just Desktop cases would save you a lot ;)

I'm not in the mood to upgrade to rackmounted gear because I'm not Linus nor a millionair.
Good luck with your machine, you would be fine. And if you run into problems be shure to post another topic about this, we are happy to help you out. ;) 

oh boy it's expensive i know, the server i was working on at work was 25G. lol

9 hours ago, Arty said:

Thats an company.. they have the money for it ;)
I don't :Þ

10 hours ago, Arty said:

You could also build yourself a mini-ITX server, will likely get more mileage out of it but will cost more. Usually I recommend buying a used server but as you said you want something small which those definitely are not.

I would get something that can at least be a virtual host so you can run multiple servers under their own VM, running file shares off an active directory server is not wise and by default enforces encrypted and signed sessions which eats CPU like crazy.