Rx 480 a good upgrade?

Seabosz
Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,
3 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

fallout 4 was more than playable with fx 4300 and it is the biggest piece of shit i have laids my hands on. but if op wants to stay on amd side, good for you, but if not i would switch to intel just for the better upgradability.

Yeah a skylake i5 is better obviously.

But if he doesnt have the cash for it right now, then just upgrading to a RX480 wont be bad atall.

Like i said most AAA games becomming more gpu demending nowdays.

Especialy if you crank up the settings.

I want to upgrade my gpu from my gtx 750ti

to a rx 480 but iam seeing that some are saying that the fx 6300 (my cpu) will

bottleneck it so i thougt would it be a good idea to also upgrade the cpu to a fx 8350 or a 9590? I want to stay on the amd side

sorry for my crap english :P

Red ​White ​Blue

3 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

bottleneck it so i thougt would it be a good idea to also upgrade the cpu to a fx 8350?

The FX 8XXX CPU is not much of an upgrade.

The RX 480 will be the better upgrade for gaming in general.  Wait a bit for the better RX 480s to hit the stores.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

The FX 8XXX CPU is not much of an upgrade.

The RX 480 will be the better upgrade for gaming in general.  Wait a bit for the better RX 480s to hit the stores.

So the custom pcb ones?

i actually like the design of the refrence one so i would like one of those

Btw iam playing at 1080p

Red ​White ​Blue

1 minute ago, Seabosz said:

So the custom pcb ones?

Btw iam playing at 1080p

The reference is hot and loud.

2 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

Well they have thermal and power issues so it's your choice but it's not a good idea to pick it over a custom pcb.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

bottleneck it so i thougt would it be a good idea to also upgrade the cpu to a fx 8350 or a 9590? I want to stay on the amd side

If they manage to solve the PCIE problem, yes.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The reference is hot and loud.

Ok yes thats a drawback but just in general the fx 6300 will be fine for the rx 480?

in games like fallout 4 black ops 3 battlefield1/4

Red ​White ​Blue

3 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

So the custom pcb ones?

Btw iam playing at 1080p

Bottlenecks? dat ligt er nogal aan welke game je speelt.

Meeste AAA games zijn tegenwoordig meer afhankelijk van de video kaart zelf dan van de processor.

Translation.

Bottlenecks? well that highly depends on the games you play.

Most AAA games today are starting to be more gpu bound then cpu bound for that matter.

Ok yes thats a drawback but just in general the fx 6300 will be fine for the rx 480?

in games like fallout 4 black ops 3 battlefield1/4

The FX CPUs are weak in general.  Fallout 4 is CPU intensive.  I think Battlefield is well optimized.

2 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Don't go ref if you hold your mobo dear.

So just wait for refrence design or is there something in the green camp that is a good option for the limited amount of games i play?

Red ​White ​Blue

24 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Don't go ref if you hold your mobo dear.

Dont exagerate that nonsense :):P

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The FX CPUs are weak in general.  Fallout 4 is CPU intensive.  I think Battlefield is well optimized.

fallout 4 was more than playable with fx 4300 and it is the biggest piece of shit i have laids my hands on. but if op wants to stay on amd side, good for you, but if not i would switch to intel just for the better upgradability.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

Dont exagerate that nonsense :)

Far from nonsense my dear. It may not explode your mobo, but it may harm it from the shutdowns it can do if your mobo cant handle the extra power draw

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

2 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Is intel that much better than amd that i need to spend my 400 euros i gathered around for a gpu because i have always been with amd cpu's

Red ​White ​Blue

Yeah a skylake i5 is better obviously.

But if he doesnt have the cash for it right now, then just upgrading to a RX480 wont be bad atall.

Like i said most AAA games becomming more gpu demending nowdays.

Especialy if you crank up the settings.

18 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Far from nonsense my dear. It may not explode your mobo, but it may harm it from the shutdowns it can do if your mobo cant handle the extra power draw

It could yeah :D

Only till now only one person claim to have his system shut down with a very old am2 board.

And then we have Toms who has screwed their shit up pretty badly.

Not sure what they have done wrong, but i have spoken to several people who have boaght this card, benched it, overclocked it, tested them in sli, burnin tests for certain hours.

And non mobo has start smoking till now.

Maybe if somebody uses a very cheapass biostars or ECS boards like those $35,- budget bangers or so.

You know those boards if you stare too long at them the parts fall off spontaniously :P

2 minutes ago, Seabosz said:

Is intel that much better than amd that i need to spend my 400 euros i gathered around for a gpu because i have always been with amd cpu's

nah youll be fine with just the gpu upgrade, but if you start to feel like you dont get enough from your gpu then consider either upgrading to 8xxx,9xxx from amd or switching to intel. Amd would be cheaper to upgrade obvs, but intel would be most likely better in the long run

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

I'm thinking of mabye doing the same. I have a 780 ti which i bought used last year, I was thinking trying a rx 480 since it has 8gb of vram. I play with 3 1080p monitors so was thinking this may be worth a try. Either that or finding an other 780 ti 

what you think?

The CPU will be a bottleneck on certain titles and only to a larger degree than other, more powerful, CPU's. 

It wouldn't stop me from getting the best budget GPU out there. But, I'd wait for custom coolers, etc. I might even wait for the GTX 1060. AMD driver overhead, not sure how that is looking going forward, but it was a problem not too long ago. 

nah youll be fine with just the gpu upgrade, but if you start to feel like you dont get enough from your gpu then consider either upgrading to 8xxx,9xxx from amd or switching to intel. Amd would be cheaper to upgrade obvs, but intel would be most likely better in the long run

Okay thanks btw my mobo is the Msi 970 Gaming so will there be problems there?

Red ​White ​Blue

2 minutes ago, nicolas_cote said:

I'm thinking of mabye doing the same. I have a 780 ti which i bought used last year, I was thinking trying a rx 480 since it has 8gb of vram. I play with 3 1080p monitors so was thinking this may be worth a try. Either that or finding an other 780 ti 

what you think?

780ti to RX 480 is more of a side grade. The only thing you would be benefitting from is the extra vram and newer support through VR and other software. I wouldn't get another 780 either, because you'll still have that vram limitation. 

Okay thanks btw my mobo is the Msi 970 Gaming

I have this mobo and it will easily handle a 83XX, but I would recommend upgrading to Zen or Intel at this point, unless you can pick up a 83XX for 80 or less dollars. 

2 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

780ti to RX 480 is more of a side grade. The only thing you would be benefitting from is the extra vram and newer support through VR and other software. I wouldn't get another 780 either, because you'll still have that vram limitation. 

I have this mobo and it will easily handle a 83XX, but I would recommend upgrading to Zen or Intel at this point, unless you can pick up a 83XX for 80 or less dollars. 

I was waiting For zen anyways :D

Red ​White ​Blue

18 minutes ago, nicolas_cote said:

what you think?

Please make your own thread in the appropriate subforum rather than trying to derail someone else's. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Woot!  Get a FX 8XXX CPU!  You will gain 5-8% performance, YEAH!!!

Such bad advice. 

i5 6500 + H110 mobo + DDR4 RAM

Save up, don't waste your money by thinking a FX 8XXX CPU is an upgrade.  Buy a cooler and overclock the 6XXX CPU.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-8350-vs-AMD-FX-6300/1489vs1555

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-8350-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/1489vs3513