Has any one used Wine on Linux? Opinions of it?

Currently I'm running Windows 10 on my main system and Linux Mint 18 on my laptop. After using Linux for a while I've been really enjoying it and what it has to offer over Windows. For a while Windows has been very unstable and annoying constantly blue-screening and crashing, so I've been thinking about using Mint 18 on my main system instead. I know about the driver issues and compatibility issues that could arise on Linux but I think I should be fine with it, but my only issue is running some of my non-Linux compatible steam games on Linux. I've heard of a program called Wine to run windows applications on Linux, without emulation, and it seems very promising to use. If there is anyone who has experience with Wine, please tell me how it is.  Are there any performance issues? Compatibility? Drivers? I just want to know that if I switch to Linux, I'll be able to run my non-Linux compatible games that I've already bought on steam. Any replies are much appreciated. 

wine... is like the lottery...

there's things that run flawless, there's things that are buggy, there's things that dont work at all...

aaand there's things like blizzard's cheat protection that tends to red flag on wine.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

wine... is like the lottery...

there's things that run flawless, there's things that are buggy, there's things that dont work at all...

aaand there's things like blizzard's cheat protection that tends to red flag on wine.

Do you know of a way around that cheat protection? Because I'd really hate to not be able to play Overwatch. 

1 minute ago, Sanderman135 said:

Do you know of a way around that cheat protection? Because I'd really hate to not be able to play Overwatch. 

the issue is that it's a false positive, its on blizzard's part to fix it, which is not something they're really bothered with.

11 minutes ago, Sanderman135 said:

your not playing games on wine(esp new graphics intensive ones.) You want a vm or a dual boot for that.

4 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

Overwatch? You ain't gonna be able to run that in WINE any time soon. The game runs on DirectX 11 and last I checked DX11 still has an open bounty for getting it to work in WINE, so any DX11 games (or DX11 versions of games) won't work in WINE currently.

So as of currently, there is no way to run DX11 games on Linux?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your not playing games on wine(esp new graphics intensive ones.) You want a vm or a dual boot for that.

Yes, i was thinking about using a VM as backup if i can't get Wine to work.