Finally bought my PC after 8 years of saving and searching!!

Welcome to the Master race. 

Congrats on the new build.

I might have splurged a tiny bit more on the PSU, but other than that my only question would be the motherboard. Why the Z170-A? Thats...pretty basic for a 6700k and a 1080.

#dedication... That monitor setup! Not sure about that much ram though...

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • BitFenix Comrade Window Black/
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
    Hectron X1 60gb SSD "The China", Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

24 and counting in the past 8 years <__<

I might have a problem.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

32GB of RAM? What do you need that for?

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

I might have splurged a tiny bit more on the PSU, but other than that my only question would be the motherboard. Why the Z170-A? Thats...pretty basic for a 6700k and a 1080.

Is a Z170-A different from other versions of a Z170 motherboard?

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Your only gripe is the motherboard? I was more concerned with the fact that he got an overclocking platform, an unlocked 6700k, and is only pairing it with a 212 evo and the very old Arctic Silver 5. Not much if any overclocking is going to happen on this setup. At least not any that will survive any level of AVX. 

Aside from that, it is a nice build. Should last several years with ease. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, exalented said:

Going to bookmark this topic for future use. Showing why it's better to save up and buy a everything at once, instead of buying bits at a time. If you have got it, by buying bits here and there, your system will already be outdated, 8 years ago best CPU are Core 2 quads.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

More expensive does not mean it's better, it's all about balance

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is a Z170-A different from other versions of a Z170 motherboard?

Mostly no difference on Asus side, Higher end board might have more VRMS or PCB layers, connectors, and added accessories. The A is the best budget from Asus that offers current features like support for nvme. Cheapest is the Z170-E.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

50 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Your only gripe is the motherboard? I was more concerned with the fact that he got an overclocking platform, an unlocked 6700k, and is only pairing it with a 212 evo and the very old Arctic Silver 5. Not much if any overclocking is going to happen on this setup. At least not any that will survive any level of AVX. 

Aside from that, it is a nice build. Should last several years with ease. 

Arctic silver 5 will do fine, and on the z170-A there won't be any extreme overclocking the 212 evo can't handle anyway.

Under AVX2, the 212 Evo won't even handle it at stock. We are talking 140w+ heat (at 1.2v). This means no linpack, Prime95 or GROMACS folding on that cooler. I had to delid my 6700k to get it to stay at 76C while undervolted to 1.1v. 

If he is going strictly for gaming, it might do fine, i just wouldn't do anything hardcore on it. I have a 212 evo myself. Oddly enough, my 45mm vapor chamber does just as good a job, and is a fraction of the size, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Arctic silver 5 will do fine, and on the z170-A there won't be any extreme overclocking the 212 evo can't handle anyway.

Do different Z170 boards allow for varying degrees of overclocking?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do different Z170 boards allow for varying degrees of overclocking?

Yes, very much so. Boards like the Z170 deluxe are much better for OC'ing (and obviously much more expensive) because they use better quality components.

15 minutes ago, Rune said:

Yes, very much so. Boards like the Z170 deluxe are much better for OC'ing (and obviously much more expensive) because they use better quality components.

Interesting.  I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 board in my main desktop.  Haven't done any OCing on it unless manually setting my RAM near the max speed it's rated for counts.  

I honestly have no idea how good it is for overclocking I mainly picked it because it was most appealing mb I saw in this Z170 comparison I'd found.  

http://www.techspot.com/review/1073-intel-z170-motherboard-roundup/

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2016 at 4:48 PM, Xiauj said:

What did you do for the monitors..? Nothing shows up when I view the Amazon link o.O

Also, 8 YEARS?! Why so long out of curiosity?

Bought them already, so i added them to the list again.

On 7/3/2016 at 11:16 PM, Rune said:

I don't plan to do OC'ing. I would like to play it safe with my first build, at least for now. Maybe in the future ill do something about it. Wanted to keep it at a FAIRLY reasonable price, $3000+ is a LOT of money to throw on a build. Went with the moboard because of the price, colors, features mainly. In other words, all i really need the system to do is boot to legacy or UEFI (prefer legacy, UEFI is a pain).

Remaining parts are on the way.

-[Exalented]-

4 minutes ago, exalented said:

Bought them already, so i added them to the list again.

I don't plan to do OC'ing. I would like to play it safe with my first build, at least for now. Maybe in the future ill do something about it. Went with the moboard because of the price, colors, features mainly. In other words, all i really need the system to do is boot to legacy or UEFI (prefer legacy, UEFI is a pain).

Remaining parts are on the way.

Oh I meant to say what monitor was it that you chose.

The Amazon link was not working but it is now :)

Glad you got it setup.

If only I had mine sorted and purchased, lol.

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Oh I meant to say what monitor was it that you chose.

The Amazon link was not working but it is now :)

Glad you got it setup.

If only I had mine sorted and purchased, lol.

Its so relieving to FINALLY be able to say, "have a build, here are the specs..." xD

-[Exalented]-

1 minute ago, exalented said:

Its so relieving to FINALLY be able to say, "have a build, here are the specs..." xD

Heh yeah, lol.

Wish I could say the same. Mine's gonna take longer than I expected.

Estimated at Nov/Dec of this year but now it looks like it's gonna take about a year for me >:( RIP

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Heh yeah, lol.

Wish I could say the same. Mine's gonna take longer than I expected.

Estimated at Nov/Dec of this year but now it looks like it's gonna take about a year for me >:( RIP

:C

-[Exalented]-

2 minutes ago, exalented said:

:C

I know... it sucks :(

The only reason >WHY< it's gonna take longer is because, I'm also thinking about some monitors which adds £600+.