AMD RX 480 or GTX1060?

TigTagToes

Greeting folks,

I've been saving for awhile to get a new GPU for my desktop and finally AMD RX 480 is here, however after watched the reviews.. I kinda afraid with the temperature where it's > 80C during on load.

The reason is because I live at Hot and Humid country (with 31-36C temperature) and didn't have AC in my room. My current card is somewhere around 75C already make the room feel like inside the oven after several hours of gaming.

My question is, should I wait for the GTX 1060 or wait for the custom card AMD RX 480? 

I wish I can get the 1070 but that's about 2,500bucks in my country where AMD RX 480 is somewhere around 1,450 bucks.

Regards,

TTT

1 minute ago, TigTagToes said:

Greeting folks,

I've been saving for awhile to get a new GPU for my desktop and finally AMD RX 480 is here, however after watched the reviews.. I kinda afraid with the temperature where it's > 80C during on load.

The reason is because I live at Hot and Humid country (with 31-36C temperature) and didn't have AC in my room. My current card is somewhere around 75C already make the room feel like inside the oven after several hours of gaming.

My question is, should I wait for the GTX 1060 or wait for the custom card AMD RX 480? 

I wish I can get the 1070 but that's about 2,500bucks in my country where AMD RX 480 is somewhere around 1,450 bucks.

Regards,

TTT

Well, we don't know enough about the 1060 yet, but you could just wait for aftermarket 480s.

Just here to point out that the temperature of the card itself is not relevant to the ambient temperature, it's just how well the cooler transfers heat out of the card (energy is always conversed blabla). So aftermaket or reference cooler will ONLY change the temperature of the card, nothing else unless you underclock it

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

4 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

Just here to point out that the temperature of the card itself is not relevant to the ambient temperature, it's just how well the cooler transfers heat out of the card (energy is always conversed blabla). So aftermaket or reference cooler will ONLY change the temperature of the card, nothing else unless you underclock it

Hi BbsMentos, 

I do have a proper air cooling for my PC, however it doesn't help much after a long gaming run.

Couldn't afford the AC because the monthly electricity bill will be around 300 bucks, so decided to sell off the AC and use the normal fans inside my room and most of the time I'll ended up sweating after 6-7hours. 

Thanks guys for the feedback, guess I will be waiting for the GTX 1060 and aftermarket 480s. Linustechtips forumers are the best and fast responses.

Cheers,

TTT

Custom cards wont be getting to 80C as often as referencie design does.

Nobody jnows when 1060 comes. Could be next month or month after...Ad with Pascal pricing it's gonna be more expensive than 480 IMO.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

16 minutes ago, Thony said:

Custom cards wont be getting to 80C as often as referencie design does.

Nobody jnows when 1060 comes. Could be next month or month after...Ad with Pascal pricing it's gonna be more expensive than 480 IMO.

Hi Thony,

That's what I thought too for the custom cards and as for GTX 1060, I will wait the card goes out 1st and see the review later on. Some said probably somewhere around 1st - 2nd week of July. 

This is probably my 1st AMD gpu ever if I'm getting the RX 480, which partner card should I choose? MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA or Asus?

Regards,

TTT

Hi Thony,

That's what I thought too for the custom cards and as for GTX 1060, I will the card goes out 1st and see the review later on. Some said probably somewhere around 1st - 2nd week of July. 

This is probably my 1st AMD gpu ever if I'm getting the RX 480, which partner card should I choose? MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA or Asus?

Regards,

TTT

Sapphire or MSI if you can. Any is fine usually, but try to avoid Asus and Gigabyte for AMD.

Here is the thing. If the reference is reaching 80 under load, the aftermarket ones will generate same amount of heat. The aftermarket cooler will transfer heat much better than the reference ones, which means it will transfer equal or even more heat into your room. The best way of avoiding hot system affecting your room temp is to choose a more efficient card.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Sapphire or MSI if you can. Any is fine usually, but try to avoid Asus and Gigabyte for AMD.

I see, usually I'd go for MSI or Gigabyte for the green team gpus. Thanks for the tips.

I've seen the sapphire AMD RX 480 released at my local market, it's look exactly the same as reference card... is it supposed to be like that?

I see, usually I'd go for MSI or Gigabyte for the green team gpus. Thanks for the tips.

I've seen the sapphire AMD RX 480 released at my local market, it's look exactly the same as reference card... is it supposed to be like that?

That's because only the reference coolers are being launching right now. Wait a bit for aftermarket coolers if you go 480.

3 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

Here is the thing. If the reference is reaching 80 under load, the aftermarket ones will generate same amount of heat. The aftermarket cooler will transfer heat much better than the reference ones, which means it will transfer equal or even more heat into your room. The best way of avoiding hot system affecting your room temp is to choose a more efficient card.

That throws AMD to the side of the road.

People expected Polaris to run much cooler.  I think AMD raised people's expectations quite high.

3 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

I don't understand the concept of heating / thermal much, will do quick research about this or do you have any suggestion link / video that I can look into.

Thanks in advance,

TTT

15 minutes ago, wasd said:

That throws AMD to the side of the road.

People expected Polaris to run much cooler.  I think AMD raised people's expectations quite high.

I believe that is one of the reasons ppl is dispointed with rx480. The 200-300 series from ADM is known to be hot while using the same 28nm process, NVIDIA manged to come up with a much much better architecture. ppl expect AMD to come back at this battle with the 14/16nm process, but AMD did not. Thermal is some what related to TDP, and 1070 and 480 have similar TDP (150W) but 1070 is a waaaaay powerful GPU.

15 minutes ago, TigTagToes said:

I don't understand the concept of heating / thermal much, will do quick research about this or do you have any suggestion link / video that I can look into.

Thanks in advance,

TTT

This is my understanding of how GPU works. Even if aftermarket use cunstomized PCB boards, it only changes the power delivery. The memory and GPU core is not changed, otherwise it will be a totally different GPU. So as long as the GPU core is not changed, it will generate same amount of heat as reference, given the same task.

25 minutes ago, TigTagToes said:

Thanks in advance,

TTT

Basically - the heat energy needs to go somewhere. Say for example, we have two hot plates, both running at 80c. One has a fan blowing across it, the other does not. Heat plate #1 does not have a fan blowing air across it / away from it, meaning that it will dissipate the heat slower, and as such the plate it self will be hotter. Plate #2, whilst generating the same amount of heat as #1, has a fan blowing air across it- meaning the heat from the plate is moved around the room, and the plate itself will run at a cooler temperature. Very primitive, but should be simple enough. Basically, aftermarket coolers create the same amount of heat, but the card itself is generally cooler as the heat is transferred away from the card itself faster. Only way to decrease heat on the same board is reduce load / underclock, as water cooling will still spread heat.

Hello.
My rig;
CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.7GhzRAM: HyperX Fury 8GB vengeance @ 1600MhzGPU: MSI R9 270 2GB, MOBO: MSI Z-97 SLI, PSU: Corsair 750M semi-modular 

12 minutes ago, Devin92 said:

I believe that is one of the reasons ppl is dispointed with rx480. The 200-300 series from ADM is known to be hot while using the same 28nm process, NVIDIA manged to come up with a much much better architecture. ppl expect AMD to come back at this battle with the 14/16nm process, but AMD did not. Thermal is some what related to TDP, and 1070 and 480 have similar TDP (150W) but 1070 is a waaaaay powerful GPU.

This is my understanding of how GPU works. Even if aftermarket use cunstomized PCB boards, it only changes the power delivery. The memory and GPU core is not changed, otherwise it will be a totally different GPU. So as long as the GPU core is not changed, it will generate same amount of heat as reference, given the same task.

I see, i never used any AMD gpu before, is just the polaris caught my eyes in terms of the prices. It seems nothing much can be done for the temperature if I'm going to choose this GPU.

10 minutes ago, Alphinon said:

Basically - the heat energy needs to go somewhere. Say for example, we have two hot plates, both running at 80c. One has a fan blowing across it, the other does not. Heat plate #1 does not have a fan blowing air across it / away from it, meaning that it will dissipate the heat slower, and as such the plate it self will be hotter. Plate #2, whilst generating the same amount of heat as #1, has a fan blowing air across it- meaning the heat from the plate is moved around the room, and the plate itself will run at a cooler temperature. Very primitive, but should be simple enough. Basically, aftermarket coolers create the same amount of heat, but the card itself is generally cooler as the heat is transferred away from the card itself faster. Only way to decrease heat on the same board is reduce load / underclock, as water cooling will still spread heat.

Thanks, I think i get the idea a bit, that's mean to reduce my room temperature is either I need AC or a proper air flow inside the room right since the heat generating from either reference or aftermarket will be the same... am I right?

2 minutes ago, TigTagToes said:

I see, i never used any AMD gpu before, is just the polaris caught my eyes in terms of the prices. It seems nothing much can be done for the temperature if I'm going to choose this GPU.

Nothing can be done with the gpu's heat output.  The only thing AMD and its partners can do is use better cooling solutions.

It's either you want the heat in your room or trapped in the PC case.  Liquid cooling is a possibility.  However that destroys its claimed performance per dollar ratio.  A $250 R9 390 clone isn't that enticing.  Slap on a liquid cooler and that will easily be another $50 - $100.  Who would buy a 480 with liquid cooler for $300-$350?  Not much since that price would be dangerously close to the 1070.  Should the 1070's supply and demand allow it to reach its $380 msrp.

2 hours ago, TigTagToes said:

Hi Thony,

That's what I thought too for the custom cards and as for GTX 1060, I will wait the card goes out 1st and see the review later on. Some said probably somewhere around 1st - 2nd week of July. 

Regards,

TTT

I don't know since I'm not interested in AMD cards. Was expecting little more from 480. 

I'm pretty sure EVGA is Nvidia only and I often hear Sapphire to be a good choice.

I'm getting 1070 in September/October.

Would love to see 1060 reviews in two weeks, that would be awesome.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, wasd said:

Nothing can be done with the gpu's heat output.  The only thing AMD and its partners can do is use better cooling solutions.

It's either you want the heat in your room or trapped in the PC case.  Liquid cooling is a possibility.  However that destroys its claimed performance per dollar ratio.  A $250 R9 390 clone isn't that enticing.  Slap on a liquid cooler and that will easily be another $50 - $100.  Who would buy a 480 with liquid cooler for $300-$350?  Not much since that price would be dangerously close to the 1070.  Should the 1070's supply and demand allow it to reach its $380 msrp.

Thanks for the info, umm not sure if this does help to disperse the heat fast or make my room hot faster..

I always open 1 of the PC casing side cover to allowed the air flows and yeah.. I've to dust off my PC quite often e.g twice a month and change the thermal paste once for every 3 months.

9 minutes ago, Thony said:

I don't know since I'm not interested in AMD cards. Was expecting little more from 480. 

I'm pretty sure EVGA is Nvidia only and I often hear Sapphire to be a good choice.

I'm getting 1070 in September/October.

Would love to see 1060 reviews in two weeks, that would be awesome.

Not sure with EVGA but I read the GTX 1070 SC quite good on that custom card. I never used any EVGA yet, usually either MSI or Gigabyte.

Well the reason I'm on tight budget is due to saving money for marriage (well i know this bit off topic) and that's why I decided to go AMD for the 1st time of my life because I don't have the luxury to spend much on PC for time being.

Regards,

TTT

8 minutes ago, TigTagToes said:

Thanks for the info, umm not sure if this does help to disperse the heat fast or make my room hot faster..

I always open 1 of the PC casing side cover to allowed the air flows and yeah.. I've to dust off my PC quite often e.g twice a month and change the thermal paste once for every 3 months.

Not sure with EVGA but I read the GTX 1070 SC quite good on that custom card. I never used any EVGA yet, usually either MSI or Gigabyte.

Well the reason I'm on tight budget is due to saving money for marriage (well i know this bit off topic) and that's why I decided to go AMD for the 1st time of my life because I don't have the luxury to spend much on PC for time being.

Regards,

TTT

Congrats :) im attending my friends wedding in September and thats costing me arm and a leg (Live in UK, wedding is in Boston US). So im postponing my GPU purchase by 3 months. I also hope prices will settle by then and maybe even decrease a little bit.

If u are on 60Hz screen then 480 is a great choice. I need 120+ fps.

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

Congrats :) im attending my friends wedding in September and thats costing me arm and a leg (Live in UK, wedding is in Boston US). So im postponing my GPU purchase by 3 months. I also hope prices will settle by then and maybe even decrease a little bit.

If u are on 60Hz screen then 480 is a great choice. I need 120+ fps.

Thanks Thony :D and congratulation to your friends too! That's so good of you willing to travel that far just for friend's wedding. 

Yes I'm using standard LED 60Hz screen and I'm satisfied with 1080p and 1440p for my gaming at the moment. Don't think I will ever go to 4K unless I win some lottery! haha..

7 minutes ago, TigTagToes said:

Thanks Thony :D and congratulation to your friends too! That's so good of you willing to travel that far just for friend's wedding. 

Yes I'm using standard LED 60Hz screen and I'm satisfied with 1080p and 1440p for my gaming at the moment. Don't think I will ever go to 4K unless I win some lottery! haha..

I will probably jump from 1080 to 4K in 5 years when price drop a lot and it gets well optimised in games and windows. 

Atm it's still a luxury IMO. Done derailing, enjoy your 480 and may your wedding go smooth. 

4 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Supposedly the 1060 comes out on the 7th, so you could wait a week and see if it's any good

Where did you see this?

I feel like the 1060 is going to be like 250-260 and have GTX 980 performance thats just my opinion 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Where did you see this?

Unconfirmed rumors floating around the interwebs. No one knows for sure.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit