Physicists just confirmed a pear-shaped nucleus, and it could ruin time travel forever (Could be a paradigm shifting discovery)

Master Disaster

Brace yourself, this is a long one. 

Physicists have just discovered a second pear shaped nucleus in an element, something which until 2013 was thought to be an impossibility, this discovery of a second instance proves the first discovery was correct and that atomic nuclei can come in more than the previously thought 3 shapes. 

Physicists have confirmed the existence of a new form of atomic nuclei, and the fact that it’s not symmetrical challenges the fundamental theories of physics that explain our Universe.

But that's not as bad as it sounds, because the discovery could help scientists solve one of the biggest mysteries in theoretical physics -where is all the dark matter? - and could also explain why travelling backwards in time might actually be impossible.

"We've found these nuclei literally point towards a direction in space. This relates to a direction in time, proving there's a well-defined direction in time and we will always travel from past to present," Marcus Scheck from the University of the West of Scotland told Kenneth MacDonald at BBC News.

So let’s back up here, because to understand this new form of atomic nuclei, you have to get to know the old ones first. Until recently, it was established that the nuclei of atoms could be one of just three shapes - spherical, discus, or rugby ball. 

These shapes are formed by the distribution of electrical charge within a nucleus, and are dictated by the specific combinations of protons and neutrons in a certain type of atom, whether it’s a hydrogen atom, a zinc atom, or a complex isotope created in a lab.

The nuclei shapes were thought to be bound by a theory which entails C symmetry and P symmetry. 

The common factor across all three shapes is their symmetry, and this marries nicely with a theory in particle physics known as CP-Symmetry. CP-symmetry is the combination of two symmetries that are thought to exist in the Universe: C-Symmtery and P-Symmetry. 

C-Symmetry, also known as charge symmetry,  states that if you flip an atomic charge to its opposite, the physics of that atom should still be the same. So if we take a hydrogen atom and an anti-hydrogen atom and mess with them, both should respond in identical ways, even though they have opposite charges.

P-Symmetry, also known as Parity, states that the the spatial coordinates describing a system can be inverted through the point at the origin, so that x, y, and z are replaced with −x, −y, and −z. 

"Your left hand and your right hand exhibit P-Symmetry from one another: if you point your thumb up and curl your fingers, your left and right hands mirror one another," Ethan Siegel from It Starts With a Bang explains.

CP-Symmetry is a combination of both of these assumptions. "In particle physics, if you have a particle spinning clockwise and decaying upwards, its antiparticle should spin counterclockwise and decay upwards 100 percent of the time if CP is conserved," says Siegel. "If not, CP is violated.”

The possibility that the Universe could actually violate both C-Symmetry and CP-Symmetry is one of the conditions that have been proposed to explain the mystery of antimatter in the Universe. But proving that would mean the Standard Model of Physics needs a serious rethink.

According to the laws of physics, at the time of the Big Bang, equal amounts of matter and antimatter had to have been created, but now, billions of years later, we’re surrounded by heaps of matter (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma), but there appears to be almost no naturally occurring antimatter.

"This is a puzzling feature, as the theory of relativistic quantum mechanics suggests we should have equal amounts of the two," mathematician Gianluca Sarri from Queen's University Belfast in the UKwrites for The Conversation. "In fact, no current model of physics can explain the discrepancy."

This discovery is likely going to have a pretty big impact in the physics world with some theories having to be rewritten and others dropped entirely, including the Standard Model and current theories on anti matter (or the lack thereof). 

Okay, so back to our atomic nuclei shapes. Most of our fundamental theories of physics are based on symmetry, so when physicists at CERN discovered an asymmetrical pear-shaped nucleus in the isotope Radium-224 back in 2013, it was a bit of a shock, because it showed that nuclei could have more mass at one end than the other. 

Now, three years later, the find has been confirmed by a second study, which has shown that the nucleus of the isotope Barium-144 is also asymmetrical and pear-shaped.

"[T]he protons enrich in the bump of the pear and create a specific charge distribution in the nucleus," Scheck told the BBC. "This violates the theory of mirror symmetry and relates to the violation shown in the distribution of matter and antimatter in our Universe."

While physicists have suspected that Barium-144 has a pear-shaped nucleus for some time now, Scheck and his team finally figured out how to directly observe that, and it turns out its distortion is even more pronounced than predicted.

So about now your probably thinking, "What does this have to do with Time Travel exactly?" 

So what does all of this have to do with time travel? It's a pretty out-there hypothesis, but Scheck says that this uneven distribition of mass and charge causes Barium-144's nucleus to 'point' in a certain direction in spacetime, and this bias could explain why time seems to only want to go from past to present, and not backwards, even if the laws of physics don't care which way it goes. 

Of course, there's no way of proving that without further evidence, but the discovery is yet another indication that the Universe might not be as symmetrical as the Standard Model of Physics needs it to be, and proving that could usher us into a whole new era of theoretical physics. 

The study has been published in Phyiscal Review Letters, and can be accessed for free at arXiv.org.

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-discovered-a-new-nucleus-shape-and-it-could-ruin-our-hopes-of-time-travel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36597142?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Quote honestly, this seems like one of those paradigm shifting discoveries that will radically change our understanding of physics. 

I won't pretend to fully understand everything I just posted but from what I do understand, matter seems to inherently want to only travel forward in time. 

Thoughts? 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Boulderdash!

My flux capacitors still work just fine.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I don't think people fully understand how much of a milestone this is for anyone who is into physics!

Amazing that they discovered a confirmation for a weird assumption they made back in 2013. I'm curious to see if there are more elements which lead to these pear-shaped isotopes. Maybe they will discover that some elements won't produce any more forms, which could cause a lot of confusion :)

PS: CERN is awesome; been there last december and it's literally the coolest physics 'lab' i've ever seen!

wild

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, HoiDaniel said:

I don't think people fully understand how much of a milestone this is for anyone who is into physics!

Amazing that they discovered a confirmation for a weird assumption they made back in 2013. I'm curious to see if there are more elements which lead to these pear-shaped isotopes. Maybe they will discover that some elements won't produce any more forms, which could cause a lot of confusion :)

PS: CERN is awesome; been there last december and it's literally the coolest physics 'lab' i've ever seen!

It wasn't an assumption, I believe they measured Radium and discovered the pear shape, announced it and we're met with some resistance so they've repeated the experiment with Barium and discovered the same thing. 

Also calling CERN a lab is like calling a Lykan Hypersport a car, it's true but we all know that it's wrong.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

OMG YOU NOOB WAIT FOR THE RX 480 TO COME OUT "LTT members before the RX 480"  

I personally never been into physics all i care is the world gonna be ok or are we all doomed from the Cookie Monster

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

Well we've know time travel will never exist since ever basically. If it would exist we would have it already. Or Earth died before we could discover it fully.

*Put Sudden Clarity Clarence here*

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Well we've know time travel will never exist since ever basically. If it would exist we would have it already. Or Earth died before we could discover it fully.

That's a hypothesis only for backwards time travel and does not rule out other possibilities for why we have not encountered time travelers. This one if true rules out all other possibilities.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

or a time travel attempt causes the end of the world

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Maybe that is how thw world will end

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Does this change the probably of dimension hopping?

Yeah, I wanna go to the dimension I grew up in where it was the Berenstein Bears, none of this Berenstain bull.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Yeah, I wanna go to the dimension I grew up in where it was the Berenstein Bears, none of this Berenstain bull.

I just wanna go to Tamerial and Pyrrihia. (Both probably spelled incorrectly.)

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Does this change the probably of dimension hopping?

Unlikely 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

21 minutes ago, Centurius said:

That's a hypothesis only for backwards time travel and does not rule out other possibilities for why we have not encountered time travelers. This one if true rules out all other possibilities.

One would assume anyone intelligent enough to backwards time travel successfully wouldn't get caught.  I seem to remember reading into a lot of articles dating modern items back way before their time.  I believe one was a watch found in a previously undiscovered, unopened sarcophagus and a metal hammer or axe with a wooded handle encased in stone.

EDIT:  The Hammer is 'The London Hammer' the other is a ring etched to look exactly like a swiss watch.

http://www.ancient-code.com/the-400-million-year-old-hammer/

http://www.ancient-origins.net/unexplained-phenomena/timeless-mystery-how-did-swiss-ring-watch-end-sealed-ming-dynasty-tomb-003312

54 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Brace yourself, this is a long one. 

Physicists have just discovered a second pear shaped nucleus in an element, something which until 2013 was thought to be an impossibility, this discovery of a second instance proves the first discovery was correct and that atomic nuclei can come in more than the previously thought 3 shapes. 

The nuclei shapes were thought to be bound by a theory which entails C symmetry and P symmetry. 

This discovery is likely going to have a pretty big impact in the physics world with some theories having to be rewritten and others dropped entirely, including the Standard Model and current theories on anti matter (or the lack thereof). 

So about now your probably thinking, "What does this have to do with Time Travel exactly?" 

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-discovered-a-new-nucleus-shape-and-it-could-ruin-our-hopes-of-time-travel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36597142?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Quote honestly, this seems like one of those paradigm shifting discoveries that will radically change our understanding of physics. 

I won't pretend to fully understand everything I just posted but from what I do understand, matter seems to inherently want to only travel forward in time. 

Thoughts? 

Time in almost every theory is just another coordinate. So instead of a 3 coordinate system that describes position (x, y, z) you have 4 which needs a different mathematical system to be described. This system however does not put any restrictions in regards of the values an object takes inside it, which means there is no reason any object in it has to only move forward on the 4rth coordinate( time). This contradicts our every day observations and can be translated in 2 ways : Either the mathematical description is inaccurate or we just haven't found how an object travels backwards on the time coordinate. This discovery seems to prove the first one right.

10 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I just wanna go to Tamerial and Pyrrihia. (Both probably spelled incorrectly.)

Steer clear of Mehrunes Dagon.

29 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

It does exist, everyone who ever goes into Space is a time traveller by a tiny margin. The thing is we can only ever go forward in time, not backwards. 

14 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Fuck yeah, Tamriel and Pyrithia, here I come! @revsilverspine Get the car Doc!

Let me get my labcoat!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It does exist, everyone who ever goes into Space is a time traveller by a tiny margin. The thing is we can only ever go forward in time, not backwards. 

At the rate of one second per second.

I was planning to make a comment that the shape of the nucleus might be a result of the difference in matter and anti matter in the early stages of the universe.
But after reading some of the comments I already noticed it would be to waste here.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Centurius said:

True, yes. I'd much rather travel Forward in time aswell.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

RIP in pepperonies. That's probably what will happen.

52 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah i'm constantly time travelling, you know.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

One would assume anyone intelligent enough to backwards time travel successfully wouldn't get caught.  I seem to remember reading into a lot of articles dating modern items back way before their time.  I believe one was a watch found in a previously undiscovered, unopened sarcophagus and a metal hammer or axe with a wooded handle encased in stone.

EDIT:  The Hammer is 'The London Hammer' the other is a ring etched to look exactly like a swiss watch.

http://www.ancient-code.com/the-400-million-year-old-hammer/

http://www.ancient-origins.net/unexplained-phenomena/timeless-mystery-how-did-swiss-ring-watch-end-sealed-ming-dynasty-tomb-003312

That's some BS. Why would someone travel time just to place something old into even older times? lol.

Total proof.

If we found something that is far beyond our Technology then i'd believe it (probably not, just if i found it myself lol).

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

26 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

That's some BS. Why would someone travel time just to place something old into even older times? lol.

Total proof.

If we found something that is far beyond our Technology then i'd believe it (probably not, just if i found it myself lol).

I don't know, it's just strange and unexplained. I brought it up because there's actually quite a large amount of unexplained artifacts that date way back. The ones I listed were from recent memory, but far from the most exciting (Antikythera Mechanism IMO). Not saying it's definitive proof or anything, I just enjoy thinking about the unexplained.

Curious... Most curious.