Mouse has twitchy movement on a quarter of my mousepad?

minibois
Go to solution Solved by 4b33r,

Well try to clean the mouse' sensor with alcohol and microfiber cloth on a match or toothpick

I have the Roccat Kiro mouse and Asus Strix Glide mousepad. The picture below shows where it does and doesn't work.

The quarter where it doesn't work it has twitchy stuttery movement and I can't figure out why. I thought modern mice didn't have problems with colors on a mousepad and even that, it happens on probably the most monotone place of the mouse..

Picture where it does and does not do this:

Spoiler

large.mousepad.png.56a4fa3333a5fb391e06b

I have tried cleaning the mousepad (with water and soap and also just with a bigger brush), but it doesn't do anything. Taking out and plugging the mouse back in doesn't do anything too. Does not happen with my other mouse (microsoft optical mouse from 2003).

This is very annoying as I now have my mousepad upside down and can't use it in the entire right top side :/ Thinking about switching back to my other mouse because of it..

Would this be hardware or software related?

EDIT: two days ago I updated my mouse drivers (the Roccat Swarm update), but this did not resolve the issue

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's a stock product picture, right?  Maybe a picture of your actual mousepad could reveal the problem?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Have you tried using the mouse on the table?
what then? does it work in a specific range of motion or it's fine on the table?

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's a stock product picture, right?  Maybe a picture of your actual mousepad could reveal the problem?

Yeah, it's a stock picture. Can't take a picture now, phone is being stupid.. But anyways, the mouse pad is in good condition still. No tears in it, only thing on it is a few specks of dust and cleaning those off did not alter the performance of the mouse in that corner of my mousepad.

9 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

Have you tried using the mouse on the table?
what then? does it work in a specific range of motion or it's fine on the table?

It works perfect on the green section of the mousepad (in the picture in the OP), works even worse on my bare desk and it works perfect on my Wacom tablet.

So pretty much the only places where I have problems is a corner of my mousepad and my (wooden) desk

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well try to clean the mouse' sensor with alcohol and microfiber cloth on a match or toothpick

9 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, it's a stock picture. Can't take a picture now, phone is being stupid.. But anyways, the mouse pad is in good condition still. No tears in it, only thing on it is a few specks of dust and cleaning those off did not alter the performance of the mouse in that corner of my mousepad.

It works perfect on the green section of the mousepad (in the picture in the OP), works even worse on my bare desk and it works perfect on my Wacom tablet.

So pretty much the only places where I have problems is a corner of my mousepad and my (wooden) desk

I just wonder, since it's possible, depending on how you hold your mouse and where your arm rests, etc. that the problem area may be a dirty area caused by your hand rubbing on the pad over time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, 4b33r said:

It doesn't make any sense, but this fixed the issue. Thanks! Maybe there was just a bit of dirt or dust on it (the only visible thing I saw was a tiny hair around the sensor), but it still doesn't make sense how it only had problems on one quarter of the mousepad.. Anyways, I will just clean the sensor once a month or whatever, so I don't have these problems (took only a minute to do anyways. I just took a q-tip, made one side damp and rubbed it on the sensor a bit, dried it with the other side and it now works)

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just wonder, since it's possible, depending on how you hold your mouse and where your arm rests, etc. that the problem area may be a dirty area caused by your hand rubbing on the pad over time.

Maybe it was a combination of a slightly dirty sensor + the dirt on the mousepad.

Either way, it works again. Thanks for the help guys :)