Is this old system worth building for folding?

well guys, i built a system for a friend that got ripped off by a local shop, my friend doesn't know anything bout computers so when the guy put it in a flashy case, he thought it was good up to date gaming pc... anyway i now have the old system guts and don't know if its really worth building for a folding rig, I don't know 100% what cpu i'm dealing with, i think its a Pentium 4, and i have the gt620 that came out if it, psu and all that. And i ave an old case and a geforce 6200 from one of one of my old pcs that the mobo bricked in. Is it worth the time to build it for a little farming rig? more to the point are those gpus still supported for F@H? Thanks in advance guys and gals

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

Do it. If you have the parts and resources why not fold?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Go for it! :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Every bit helps ;)

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

so the gpus are still supported by F@H? i can't remember but i think i saw something about some older cards that wont be supported anymore, am i imagining that or is that a thing?  :unsure:

well guys, i built a system for a friend that got ripped off by a local shop, my friend doesn't know anything bout computers so when the guy put it in a flashy case, he thought it was good up to date gaming pc... anyway i now have the old system guts and don't know if its really worth building for a folding rig, I don't know 100% what cpu i'm dealing with, i think its a Pentium 4, and i have the gt620 that came out if it, psu and all that. And i ave an old case and a geforce 6200 from one of one of my old pcs that the mobo bricked in. Is it worth the time to build it for a little farming rig? more to the point are those gpus still supported for F@H? Thanks in advance guys and gals

The Geforce GT 620 can fold and it will fold decently (about 1.5 to 2k ppd). 

The Geforce 6200 will not fold. Never has and never will. Although you could use it as a display card while the other card(s) folds. 

While Pentium 3 and above is supported (As long as a cpu has the SSE2 instruction set), It would be very, very, very slow folding.  Were talking multiple days to complete a single WU and will only net any were between 100 to 400 ppd (depending on if the P4 is Hyper-threaded or not to be able to work on the higher point WU's).

On top of that, trying to fold on single core cpu (even on these old HT cpu's) will most likely starve the gpu(s) of there folding data. (As well documented, F@H gpu's need at least 1 core to keep the data flowing.)

So if you plan to fold, I would recommend just folding on your gpu (or gpu's if you "can" add more later on) or just the cpu. (I would recommend gpu's for the more efficient use of power.) Trying to use both will slow everything down. 

As for what isn't being supported any more, it was any gpu's that was at or below the 200 series. So your GT 620 should be just fine for the next few years.

Go for it. I still fold on my P4 system from time to time; every little bit helps.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

awesome, thanks guys! :) as i said, i'm not even sure what the cpu is any more, all i can remember about it without getting out of the cupboard is that the mobo takes DDR2 lol. So i'll build it and check it out, but yeah i should be able to get my hands on some more older gpus to chuck in it later on. my dad used to build computers a few years ago so he still had some parts laying around, so i'll have to go check out what hes got. thanks again!

awesome, thanks guys! :) as i said, i'm not even sure what the cpu is any more, all i can remember about it without getting out of the cupboard is that the mobo takes DDR2 lol. So i'll build it and check it out, but yeah i should be able to get my hands on some more older gpus to chuck in it later on. my dad used to build computers a few years ago so he still had some parts laying around, so i'll have to go check out what hes got. thanks again!

Well, if it's taking ddr2 ram, then at minimal for a cpu it will be a P4 as the only socket I'm aware of that took ddr2 is the LGA 775. (Well, there were some 478 socket MB's that did take ddr2 but they were not very common.)

ok, had a slight setback, slapped the system together, chucked a hdd i had in it, and the hdd died, hahah i think the case is cursed to brick everything i put in it, i took some pics, might do a little ghetto bildlog but i used my super potato iphone camera. thanks again for the help guys 

ok, had a slight setback, slapped the system together, chucked a hdd i had in it, and the hdd died, hahah i think the case is cursed to brick everything i put in it, i took some pics, might do a little ghetto bildlog but i used my super potato iphone camera. thanks again for the help guys 

Well, when in doubt (if the motherboard allows it), you could run a linux OS off a usb drive.  ;)

Well, when in doubt (if the motherboard allows it), you could run a linux OS off a usb drive.  ;)

I could, but i'de have to spend a lot of time learning how to linux first. i might look into it actually

Also, check in the Links sticky. I have links to the [H]ard forum build guides on getting ubuntu installed and also building a usb based install (ubuntu appliance) . I will be using the USB one on my next 4P unit,

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well, out of all the linux OS's, I would say ubuntu is probably one of the most beginner friendly linux OS to try out. 

http://www.ubuntu.com/

How to put ubuntu on a usb drive: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

In my experience, newer versions of Ubuntu don't run well on older hardware.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

In my experience, newer versions of Ubuntu don't run well on older hardware.

Strangely, I've had a different experience. Lol.

Pentium 4 desktop (478 socket), 0 problems when trying it out on off a usb drive (that is until it died via PSU and the PSU taking the MB with it). tried it with 10.04. Saddly, it died days before 10.10 came around.

IBM Thinkpad with Celeron M 1.3GHz cpu. Other than trying to install the OS off the USB drive (issue with the software installing ubuntu on the usb drive than the OS itself), I haven't had any problems. Worked up to 12.10. That is until the laptop power cord picked up a "smoking habit". (Cord is short circuiting and causing the wire to smoke so I'm not going to risk any fire within my house.)

My current testing laptop (lenovo 3000 N200 from 2008), it has ran 9.10 to 13.04 (although it's currently running windows 8.1 pre-view). I've have 1 issue with it since 10.04 and above. That is the wireless card has proprietary drivers and Ubuntu stop caring that driver. So i'm force to install it manually though command line.

Although everyone mileage always seams to vary as I've seen plenty of people saying what you've seen.

Only thing I can say for the OP is, try it out and if there is any problems let people know so that the issue can be resolved. :)

awesome, thanks guys! I will do some reading, have a crack and let you know :)

Also, check in the Links sticky. I have links to the [H]ard forum build guides on getting ubuntu installed and also building a usb based install (ubuntu appliance) . I will be using the USB one on my next 4P unit,

or using my linux install guide topic? :) i still have to test the kraken for V7 but i did not had time for that yet .

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

or using my linux install guide topic? :) i still have to test the kraken for V7 but i did not had time for that yet .

Yes, that one to! :)

I saw over at the [H]orde, apparently kraken makes not difference on v7. [H]ard recommends staying at v6 for the time being for bigadv folding.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99